Want a new carry gun need help.

This is a discussion on Want a new carry gun need help. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All I'm going to get a new carry gun at a min a 40 cal but im looking for some pro's and con's of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want a new carry gun need help.

Hi All
    I'm going to get a new carry gun at a min a 40 cal but im looking for some pro's and con's of Glock vs. M&P . dont have a specific model in mind but im looking for dependability,ease of use, light weight and good sights also im use to firing 357,40,45 and 44 so recoil isnt an issue but as above im wondering from you guys as current owners if you had a choice of either which would you choose and why?
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Glock IMO. I have a G26. Glock is much easier to break down and there are many more holster and part options.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    They are both good guns. You need to get to the range and shoot them. It's the only way you will know. Why are you only limiting your choices to glock and M&P? Why not go test out a bunch of guns and see which one you like the best?

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Both guns are reliable, accurate, easy to conceal and availability of accessories and spare parts is not an issue, but the M&P wins in ergonomics. Just get whatever feels best in your hand and fits your budget.

Nonetheless, I would check out other brands like Sig Sauer, Heckler & Koch, Beretta and Walther since there are other fantastic options. Go to a range that has a wide variety of guns for rent and try several before making your choice.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Good advice will do guys, im not trying to limit myself but was interested in these 2 models.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

I find that I shoot the M&P slightly better than a Glock. I think this is mainly because the M&P grip fits me a little better. Both are highly reliable pistols and they are also the two most used pistols in the production division of action pistol competition. You won't go wrong with either one. Give them both a try and go with the one you shoot the best.

Take a look at the SA XD40 SC, or the SA XD40.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I shoot a G23. I prefer it over the M&P because of the trigger. I've heard that the M&P trigger can be improved with some aftermarket kits, but the Glock is ready to go out of the box.

Without the trigger modification, I can shoot my G23 3 times as fast as the M&P because of the short reset on the Glock.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    IMO, I like the sights and trigger on a Glock vs the M&P, however with my big hands, a Glock just didn't fit well with me. I tried to take down a glock and almost had the slide bite me. Along with other misses on the slide bite. With the M&P, the gun fits well in my hands and have no worries with the side coming back on my hands.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Light weight and use to recoil.. sounds to me like you need to check out the Kahr CW40 or 45.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Sticking to your given question of Glock VS M&P I would say -

Glock -
    Better Trigger
    Bit thinner

M&P -
    Better ergos (though not by as much with the new gen 4's)
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Springfield XD and XDm line are very nice .40 cals. Great ergos and triggers, great sights, easy to shoot. Many varieties of full size, compact, and subcompact, stainless or black slides, OD black or tan frames, factory night sites. I have the XD40subcompact and it shoots as well as my largest semi-auto. I now wish I had gone with the compact (next size up) and am in the market for the XDm 4" bbl OD green frame black slide night sight 16+1 .40 cal. Drooled over them on Bud's website last night.

Of the two brands you mentioned above, I'd go Glock...G23 to be exact. My buddy has one I've shot a bit and I am much more accurate and comfortable with it over the G27.

The H&Ks are sweet top end guns, as are the Sigs. It really comes down to price, feel, size, capacity, safety features, and what you are able to be accurate with. The only way to know is to shoot them and see. Find a range and rent some and you'll know.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I don't know much about the M&P, however if you are considering a Glock, you should really check out the Springfield XDM. If you like the Glock, you'll love the XDM.

Both are good guns. A lot of people say the M&P feels pretty close to a 1911 in your hand. I had one in 45 a while back, and the trigger always felt "gritty" but I heard that gets better the more you shoot it. Glock has a proven track record, because they have been around a lot longer. I have several Glocks, and really prefer them to any of the polymer guns. That's just me. However the first thing I do when I buy a new Glock is get rid of the plastic sights, for a nice set of night sights. But I think (not sure) if you buy a Glock that already has night sights they are metal and made by one of the major brands for Glock.
    Guns Have Only Two Enemies: Rust and Politicians.

Did someone mention something other than a Glock?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links