Taurus 1911 or something else

This is a discussion on Taurus 1911 or something else within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a thought, but unless you are really wanting some unusual personal touches on a 1911, the package guns are a better deal than building ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Taurus 1911 or something else

Just a thought, but unless you are really wanting some unusual personal touches on a 1911, the package guns are a better deal than building one. Check out the Springfield Loaded and comparable guns and compare those prices to customizing one yourself.JMO
    Last edited by jwarren; March 9th, 2011 at 09:14 PM.
    BugDude likes this.

2. Remove Ads

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooMO View Post
    Wanting to get a Taurus 1911 to carry , is that a good choice for the money or is there another choice that would be a better choice.
    IMO there are many better choices. However, I should get a Colt.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Stainless colt commanders are around $850 my way.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    Just a thought, but unless you are really wanting some unusual person touches on a 1911, the package guns are a better deal than building one. Check out the Springfield Loaded and comparable guns and compare those prices to customizing one yourself.JMO
    BINGO!!! I wanted a plain jane GI 1911 and found a used RIA with 6 mags and holster for $300. Best $300 I ever spent on a gun and I don't plan on doing a thing to it except shoot it and clean it. Runs like a sewing machine. If I wanted one with all the fancy crap on it, I'd buy a Springfield already loaded to the degree I wanted.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    Just a thought, but unless you are really wanting some unusual person touches on a 1911, the package guns are a better deal than building one. Check out the Springfield Loaded and comparable guns and compare those prices to customizing one yourself.JMO
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    BINGO!!! I wanted a plain jane GI 1911 and found a used RIA with 6 mags and holster for $300. Best $300 I ever spent on a gun and I don't plan on doing a thing to it except shoot it and clean it. Runs like a sewing machine. If I wanted one with all the fancy crap on it, I'd buy a Springfield already loaded to the degree I wanted.
    I concur

there are a couple of Springfield models that catch my eye that hover around $900...

I wouldn't be afraid to pick up a SW1911 either
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

My Taurus PT1911 has been great. Recently I've decided that when I speak to someone who looks down on my Taurus, I invite them to the range to show me how terrible the Taurus is. 1 is a Kimber owner- he never showed and has learned to keep his mouth shut and the other 4 have learned to appreciate the Taurus.
    Shoot it and see. Good Luck.
    And the old man said, "We'll see..."

I really want to build on one , as I like bling lo
    This is my PT1911 after some custom touches. Will shoot as good as my other 3 1911's that aren't Taurus.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    This is my PT1911 after some custom touches. Will shoot as good as my other 3 1911's that aren't Taurus.
    Nice looking gun.

If you get one that will run, they do shoot as well as the others.

sgb
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus. Taurus beyond it's crappy customer service has changed the specs on some of the parts used in the Pt1911 so that using aftermarket parts (such as Colt series 80 style extractors) is more difficult and expensive to have fitted.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    colt
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I love my pt1911 stainless. I got it from bud's for just over 600 delivered. Not one malfunction on over 2000 rounds and it is very accurate. I love the trigger and this gun has become my daily carry.

See if you can find someone who has one and will let you shoot it. I spent a lot of time reading reviews before buying mine and 99/100 were really very positive.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

I have no experience with the Taurus 1911, but since you are considering options in the $550-650 range, the STI Spartan is a very good value IMO. If you want to stay on the lowest end, American Classic and RIA are okay.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Isn't it funny that everyone saying Don't get the Taurus doesn't and or hasn't owned one. Yet all the owners say they love there's and they function great.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    My suggestion would be a RIA if you wanna stay cheap. $425 for a new one around my way, If you wanna get something thats better with the frills get a Taurus in the low to mide $600 range. for $600 you can get a all steel taurus with front strap gnarling, beavertail grip saftey, and they have a pretty sweet trigger to boot. Plus I like the Novak white dot sights myself. I have Taurus and RIA in my cheaper 1911's love them both. I would pick the RIA if you wanted to leave it plain and the Taurus if you were gonna build on it.
    Just my 2 cents the RIA is fantastic for the price, customer service is also great, I do not carry one one but love to play with it at the range, if I was going to carry a 1911 I would have no issue with the RIA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links