Taurus 1911 or something else

This is a discussion on Taurus 1911 or something else within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wanting to get a Taurus 1911 to carry , is that a good choice for the money or is there another choice that would be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Taurus 1911 or something else

Taurus 1911 or something else

Wanting to get a Taurus 1911 to carry , is that a good choice for the money or is there another choice that would be a better choice.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    The argument for "something better" is up for major debate. Taurus does put a lot on their gun for the money but customer reports of QC fail and bad customer service plague Taurus something fierce. When the PT1911 fist came out they cost about $500-$550, now I've seen them as high as $700ish. When it was a $500 gun I would have been more apt to suggest one for anyone dead set on a "budget" 1911, now that the price on them has jumped I'd recommend quite a few other guns over the Taurus.

What's the price you'd be paying on a PT1911 in your area and how much are you able to spend?

I have a Taurus PT1911 stainless steel and I love it.Worth the money IMO

I know of a few folks who have been pleased with their Taurus 1911s, and more who have not been. The few I've handled have not impressed me, and the one I shot didn't, either. Lots of sharp edges, rough internals, bad triggers.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    They are still $550-650 around my way. Very good gun if you want an entry level all steel 1911.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Dragman , what do you suggest . I know I want to put a few special touches to one but dont know the way to go. Rock Island, or Springfield ?

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Fired a PT1911 for the first time last week..I was very impressed...nice trigger,no malfunctions and a handsome gun to boot.

I've had my PT1911 for over 2 yrs, approaching 2,000 rounds without a malfunction

It's very accurate, too
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'd go for Springfield or Rock Island over the Taurus just personal preference. If you can afford the Springfield they make some really nice higher end models. My favorite carry gun is a Rock Island Compact I've put over 1000 rounds through it with no problems.

My suggestion would be a RIA if you wanna stay cheap. $425 for a new one around my way, If you wanna get something thats better with the frills get a Taurus in the low to mide $600 range. for $600 you can get a all steel taurus with front strap gnarling, beavertail grip saftey, and they have a pretty sweet trigger to boot. Plus I like the Novak white dot sights myself. I have Taurus and RIA in my cheaper 1911's love them both. I would pick the RIA if you wanted to leave it plain and the Taurus if you were gonna build on it.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

My buddy has a Taurus 1911. It looks good and shots fine, I'm sure you would be happy with it. Another friends just purchased a Remington R1, that pistol is a beauty.

For the money, the RIA is near impossible to beat.

Thanks, all keep the help coming . Its not about the money, its about dependablity. I really want to build on one , as I like bling lol

VIP Member
    I'd chose Springfield over RIA and either over Taurus, just my preference. I'd even look for a used Springfield. I've seen many very lightly used Springfield's around here. A lot of folks buy them because they want a 1911 .45 and either don't like the recoil, the weight, or can't work the thumb safety consistently. I recently put a Springfield Mil-Spec parkerized on layaway for under $500.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Then I would buy a COLT! I just picked up a XSE model for $900. There are many others to pick but if your not worried about a couple hundred either way buy the colt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links