Crap! I dropped my Glock 27.

This is a discussion on Crap! I dropped my Glock 27. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dropped my Glock today from about 5 feet on the concrete basement floor. It had one in the pipe. It took a hard hit right ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Crap! I dropped my Glock 27.

Dropped my Glock today from about 5 feet on the concrete basement floor. It had one in the pipe. It took a hard hit right on the back corner of the slide. I resisted the temptation to try and grab it. I know it aint hurt, but it has something rattling inside. Im going to take it apart to check it out and Ill have to run some rounds through it.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

It will be interesting to find out what is rattling and if it affects performance in any way. Is it a Gen 4?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Its a Gen 3. Field stripped it, removed barrel and all . No rattle at all anywhere. Put it back together and there is rattle around the back of the slide under the rear sight. I dont know, maybe its normal. Ive never noticed it before.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Could it be in the magazine?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

firing pin rattle. sometimes glocks will do that. take slide off turn upside down and shake it. you might get the rattle. do the firing pin safety check, shake it, should not have the rattle. what you hear is the firing pin rattle hitting the saftey plunger. the firing pin has some small movement, not much, just some. i can make all of my g27 do it. i can sometimes make my g23 do it. put a loaded mag in, but do not load one in the barrel. shake it, you should not have the rattle. load gun, shake it, you should not have a rattle. drop mag, top off, put mag in, shake it, most of the time you will get the rattle.
    ks kid likes this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

My Gen2 G19 rattles. I think I remember the rattle check from my Glock book.

VIP Member
    I dropped my G27 once. I was lucky........nothing happened at all.

The cat could have done me in.

Recently I dropped an air nail gun from about 14' high, it hit directly on concrete. Gun worked perfectly though one of the wood-grabber teeth broke off. I was shocked the gun still runs like nothing happened.

I don't need to drop anything else, I think I've used up my luck for now.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Your not supposed to drop them! Lol j/k
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Just Checked, My Glock 19 Gen4 Rattles in the same spot as you said. I never noticed it before. Seems like its normal and you're only noticing it know because you dropped it.

Good to know you didn't hurt it!

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Dropped my Glock today from about 5 feet on the concrete basement floor. It had one in the pipe. It took a hard hit right on the back corner of the slide. I resisted the temptation to try and grab it. I know it aint hurt, but it has something rattling inside. Im going to take it apart to check it out and Ill have to run some rounds through it.
    Obviously you can not be trusted with this gun. Box it up and send it to me. i will take better care of it. I have no concrete floors, all of mine are carpeted.

Please, think of the G27, it will be happier at my house.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Eh, it a Glock. It started its life ugly but in perfect working condition, it will end its life ugly, but in perfect working condition. No harm no foul.
    "Just blame Sixto"

As Frankmako said, the striker rattles on all Glocks when you don't have a round chambered. That is how they are made. Glad you had a non-event. As long as you didn't damage the sights, you should be good to go. It's pretty hard to "break" a Glock just by dropping it.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Pretty sure I saw youtube video's of glocks being run over by trucks, dropped out of airplanes and being dragged behind cars and still firing.

When my glocks are loaded they rattle. The best I can figure is its the round that is about to be chambered as the mag wiggles a bit. As soon as I take the mag out it goes away. Your problem may be different but both my 9mm's do it.
    One time I was checking my workplace in the evening (I work at a large 100+ acre yard where we process brush into mulch.) I do not like doing this because the business has been robbed several times. I am also the camera tech guy and I have seen the guys and they are armed. Knowing all this, I had my holster clasp undone on my vertical shoulder holster as I walked around with my dog... I leaned over to get something and my G17 went sprawling to the dirt/rocks. It Happens. I was glad it was a glock! Lesson learned though.

Take the slide off and turn it up breech down. The striker should not protrude from the breech face. Push in the firing pin plunger. The striker should protrude from the breech face. If it does this you are good to go. The rattle is completely normal.

Good move not trying to catch the gun. Let it fall. The third safety in a Glock is the drop safety. The sear cruciform sits on a block of metal in the frame and cannot release the striker if dropped. The gun could easily have discharged if you attempted to catch it and hit the trigger.

A previous post said Glocks have been dragged behind pickup trucks, buried, and dropped from an airplane and they still worked perfectly. A 5 foot drop is a walk in the park.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links