Ruger SP101 - Page 2

Ruger SP101

This is a discussion on Ruger SP101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I highly recommend the Wolff RP spring kit upgrade. I also recommend doing the IBOK trigger job that others have mentioned. My SP-101 has had ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ruger SP101

I highly recommend the Wolff RP spring kit upgrade. I also recommend doing the IBOK trigger job that others have mentioned. My SP-101 has had the whole enchilada and the trigger is now at 2.5lbs SA and 5lbs DA. A trigger this light is not for everyone, but an IBOK trigger job allows you to tweak the trigger to whatever weight feels right to you.

My highly reworked SP-101:
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I put the 10# Wolff main hammer spring in mine and left the factory trigger return spring in it. Feels great and I haven't had any issues of any kind. Goes "BANG" very loudly every time I pull the now much improved trigger.
    Ditto! Most of these come out with a 14lb main spring. Dopping it to a 12lb or 10lb makes a world of difference.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    If your mainspring strut is rough, you will still have a gritty trigger pull. Ditto for the surfaces on the hammer and trigger that move against each other. My only SP101s with lighter springs are the ones worked over by Jack Weigand when he was still doing custom work. The rest of my SP101s were cherry-picked, with patience, at dealers, and I probably wouldn't install lighter springs in them if someone gave me the springs as gifts. I have handled revolvers with such light springs inside them that the trigger return was notably sluggish.

In my hands, with the high grip I use, I have so much mechanical advantage to work the trigger, I just don't need light springs, thus far, even with some amount of weakness caused by nerve impingement. I find the smartly-fast trigger return to be comforting when shooting fast.

Do be SURE to test-fire with your carry loads to make sure the primers will go off EVERY time. I did install lighter springs in my first GP100, an early 1990's gun, and had some failures to ignite magnum primers. I re-installed the factory mainspring, pronto, and reliability returned. This is my only workin' Ruger revolver thus far I have felt needed smoothing of the internal parts, beyond a bit of dry-firing, and I performed the task myself. (I have another GP100, a limited-run 5" gun, that I purchased without cherry-picking, as it was the only one I could find of that edition; I think it may need some attention to its internal parts, if/when it becomes a workin' gun.)

Do you guys stick with .38 out of this 2.25?

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerguy View Post
    My carry load is Corbon 115g. Range ammo is whatever my dad has hand loaded so equal parts .357 and .38
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Negatory

I'm shootin' .357 mag 158 grain JHP
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Any tips on how to shoot this shorty accurately?

Any tips on how to shoot this shorty accurately?
    Learn to stage the trigger...
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Mine's loaded with Remington R357M1 125 grain SJHP (the equivalent of the legendary Federal 357B load)...1200+ fps and 400+ ft-lbf of energy out of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by gglass View Post
    I highly recommend the Wolff RP spring kit upgrade. I also recommend doing the IBOK trigger job that others have mentioned. My SP-101 has had the whole enchilada and the trigger is now at 2.5lbs SA and 5lbs DA. A trigger this light is not for everyone, but an IBOK trigger job allows you to tweak the trigger to whatever weight feels right to you.

My highly reworked SP-101:
    I'm tempted to seriously look into this...Mmmmm!!!!!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links