Ruger SP101 vs S&W 640 which one?

This is a discussion on Ruger SP101 vs S&W 640 which one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to decide between the 2. I have seen lots rave reviews on the Ruger but have not found any on the S&W. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ruger SP101 vs S&W 640 which one?

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar

I am trying to decide between the 2. I have seen lots rave reviews on the Ruger but have not found any on the S&W. I am liking the 640 better because it is a little thinner, especially the handle is thinner. I wonder shootability wise how they compare. How does the S&W 640 feels at the range. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

I have several j frame smiths and a 2.25" bbl SP101. If you plan on pocket carrying a lot the 640 would be a better carry choice but it will not be something you will enjoy shooting a lot at the range. Carry a lot, shoot a little. The SP101 carries easily IWB or OWB and can be carried in a pocket depending on your attire, but not nearly as easily as the j frame. It is a little larger and heavier, but that greatly improves shootability and durability. It is carry a lot, shoot a lot. It just depends on your intended use and carry methods.

You could always purchase both and have more options available.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I think you'll find lots of love expressed for either choice. The 640 will be easier to carry concealed due to it's slightly smaller/lighter size. The 640 also fits my hand a bit better because of the thinner grip compared to the Ruger. The trigger on my 640 was really nice out of the box, but I did have a local gunsmith tune it a bit and now it is wonderfully smooth. At the range it is very accurate and anything short of heavy .357 loads are a pleasure to shoot. If you have a chance to shoot either of them, it might help you make your choice, or, as stated in the previous reply, you could just buy both! I don't think you'd be disappointed in either of the guns - they are quality firearms that will serve you well.

VIP Member
    I have the 640 and a shooting buddy has a SP101. We both shoot the 640 better and I like the trigger on the 640 better. If I my 640 were stolen and i had to purchase another, it would be the 640.

Both guns handle all .38 and .357 SD loads with ease. Neither is fun to shoot with full power .357 hunting loads. If you like the ergos on the 640 - go for it.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I have the 101 2 1/4" and I shot everything from 110 gr 38 to 158 gr 357 "deer stoppers" through it- not problem -other that the ball of fire. I think if was looking for a another 357 pocket gun, I'd look at the LCR 357-the 38s I've tried have got a great trigger.

Creme de la creme

The S&W Centennial is the pocket revolver bar none. It has a smoother trigger, flatter profile, and more concealable grip than Ruger's 101. The Ruger is heavier because Ruger uses investment castings which is not as strong as S&W's machined steel. So while the extra weight does dampen recoil it does not equate to extra strength. The bulky Ruger 101 is more of a belt gun than a pocket/purse gun but still too small to enjoy as a range gun.

I own both, prefer the Smith, but really it's just another Coke/Pepsi argument to me.

Smith has enclosed hammer, one less entry for lint, Ruger has an easier feild strip.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I have several j frame smiths and a 2.25" bbl SP101. If you plan on pocket carrying a lot the 640 would be a better carry choice but it will not be something you will enjoy shooting a lot at the range. Carry a lot, shoot a little. The SP101 carries easily IWB or OWB and can be carried in a pocket depending on your attire, but not nearly as easily as the j frame. It is a little larger and heavier, but that greatly improves shootability and durability. It is carry a lot, shoot a lot. It just depends on your intended use and carry methods.

You could always purchase both and have more options available.
    +1 Everything I was thinking so I wont bother repeating it lol.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

los

cthruit and CalmSeasQuest like this.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I had this choice last fall: SP101 or S&W 640. I agonized over it for three months, then I called the local gunshop (Frontiersman) and asked them to set aside an SP 101, I'd be in after work to pick it up.

I arrived and was palming the SP101 that he set aside for me. Then, out of the corner of my eye I saw a used no-lock 640 sitting there; almost mint condition. I asked to see it and couldn't put it down. I left with the 640. The JFrame is a little more pocket-carryable than the Ruger and that's what tipped the scales for me.

I don't think there are any wrong choices between these two fine revolvers.

The original S&W J-frame magna grips and a Tyler T-Grip adapter make for better pocket carry than the current factory supplied grips. Also some of the "Boot" and "Secret Service" grip styles work well.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    The original S&W J-frame magna grips and a Tyler T-Grip adapter make for better pocket carry than the current factory supplied grips. Also some of the "Boot" and "Secret Service" grip styles work well.
    On point.!

Plus, a j-frame equipped with factory wooden stocks and a t-grip, is the Cat's Meow..

A lot of good points made here

You can't go wrong with either one

You'll just have to weigh your preferences/priorities.

I've got an SP101, because I wanted it to be a bit bigger and heavier to soak up the full house recoil, and it does a spectacular job
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    I have an SP101 2.25". I previously owned a 640 and now have a 60 and a 642. The Smith's are slightly shorter in length and a little lighter. I have no problem pocket carrying the SP or the Smith's. S&W will almost always have a better out of the box trigger, but the SP trigger can be improved 50%-70% by simply changing out 1 or 2 springs.

When it comes to shooting with full power 357 SD loads, the SP wins hands down. You may not notice the recoil in a life or death situation, but the muzzle flip part of the recoil will still be there. Getting back on target for follow-up shots is ultimately important and the edge goes to the SP in this category. Getting used to the muzzle flip requires practice with carry loads. Practicing will be much easier with the SP.

I have no favorite between the two. I love all S&W and Ruger revolvers.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

los
    Just in case you were pondering the idea....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links