Boberg XR9 comin soon

This is a discussion on Boberg XR9 comin soon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by los Absolutely. I have a good DB9 image I can scale and render but I don't have the factory L/H dimensions. I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boberg XR9 comin soon

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Absolutely. I have a good DB9 image I can scale and render but I don't have the factory L/H dimensions. I know the DB9 has a width of .80" and weighs 11 oz.

Do you have the Length and Height specs..?

Thanks.
    Sure do! I called them and asked, since it's not listed on their website. It measures 5.5 x 4 x 0.8, at only 11 oz in weight (I assume unloaded with no mag). I'd guess 14 oz with a loaded mag (?). Not rated for +P ammo.

Thanks again, los.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

After all of those comparisons I'll stick with my Rohrbaugh and PM9.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

los
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Sure do! I called them and asked, since it's not listed on their website. It measures 5.5 x 4 x 0.8, at only 11 oz in weight (I assume unloaded with no mag). I'd guess 14 oz with a loaded mag (?). Not rated for +P ammo.

Thanks again, los.
    Awesome. THANKS, 10.

Here's the Chart...

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    The PF9 is too large for my suit pants pockets. Even my old PM9 was on the large/heavy side for that role.
    The Boberg XR9 is larger and heavier than the Kahr PM9. It is much taller, significantly thicker, and weighs 2 oz more.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    The Boberg XR9 is larger and heavier than the Kahr PM9. It is much taller, significantly thicker, and weighs 2 oz more.

True. It also carries one extra round, and has a longer barrel despite its small size for better ballistics.

I got rid of my last PM9 because I could not reload it reliably using the overhand method I had always trained on (yes I'm aware that Kahr says to use the slide release). I could also never get it to reliably eject a "dud" from the chamber with a fully loaded mag without it jamming. At the time, I did not carry a BUG, so these manual of arms/training issues were a no-go for me.

Since then, I've acquired a few LCPs, one of which is always in my pocket as a BUG. Whatever my primary is, my reaction now to any failure is to dump the primary and go to my secondary (aka "NY reload"). I've looked at all the newer 9mm pocket pistols, and none have yet bested the PM9 (in terms of size, weight, sights, locking open when empty, ability to use +P, and lack of extraneous safeties and other doodads).

So, believe it or not, I'm actually thinking of changing my mind...and getting yet another PM9. In the past, Kahr offered an instructor discount which netted a delivered price of $440 (without night sights). At that price, I cannot see spending way more for the Boberg.

I've also resigned myself to the reality that small pistols can be finicky (had issues with 2 of our 3 LCPs), and that the best way to deal with that fact is to carry two of them. If they fit in my pockets, I'd rather carry two .357 LCRs...but they don't. So for when I don't wish to Smartcarry my G26, pocket pistols it's gotta be...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    I'm getting emails indicating that the Boberg XR9 is coming soon, possibly in the hands of some people in a month or so.
    Well, I've also noted that the "coming soon" link on the home page for Boberg Arms also indicates that pre-ordering will start once they are confident that full-bore shipment will begin within 4-6 weeks. As they haven't yet opened up pre-ordering, I'd say that "soon" is still as vague as it has been this past 18mos and more.

Though, in the discussion thread on Boberg's forum talking about the pending release, it also seems clear that the owner believes the time is very near based on the hurdles that have been surmounted and the small number of issues that keep cropping up.

It'll be nice to see how the first-year's products do in the field. Once those prove themselves, then it might well be a great product to buy as a deep-concealment sidearm. Kahr PM9 performance in a Kahr P380 package.

As for price, they originally posted $1300 and change as the larger pistol's MSRP starting point. With the redesigns from then to now and the fact that it's the baby brother coming to market first, who can say what the actual initial market price will be. I'm hopeful they'll release it below $1K (which is where the "top" Kahr PM9 is). If they can compete against the PM9 price-wise, they might do very well. But that's going to mean that once the initial hubbub dies down, they'll need to hit a street price in the $650-750 range, not $1K. Hard to tell if they'll be able to do that, but it doesn't seem likely, at least for a good long while.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    It'll depend how much and where. A holstered difference of 2oz is nothing, IMO. The holstered difference between a loaded PM9 and a loaded P380 is fairly significant and noticeable, but of far greater importance (to me at least) is going to be the height and thickness. Those two dimensions can dramatically impact a gun's inability to "flatten" against the leg in the pocket, or to feel comfortable if holstered IWB.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It'll be nice to see how the first-year's products do in the field. Once those prove themselves, then it might well be a great product to buy as a deep-concealment sidearm. Kahr PM9 performance in a Kahr P380 package.
    - It's more the size of the PM9, unless I'm missing something. The barrel length is longer though, which is going to improve performance.

Boberg XR9-S
    Length: 5.1”
    Height: 4.2”
    Width: 0.95”

Kahr PM9
    Length O/A: 5.3"
    Height: 4.0"
    Slide Width: 0.90"

Kahr P380
    Length O/A: 4.9"
    Height: 3.9"
    Slide Width: 0.75"