new .38??

This is a discussion on new .38?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am being tempted by a Ruger LCR 38 crimson trace model! Looking for some pro's and cons to help me decide weather to pull ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new .38??

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

new .38??

I am being tempted by a Ruger LCR 38 crimson trace model! Looking for some pro's and cons to help me decide weather to pull the trigger on it or not?? I am 50/50 just need to convince myself one way or another weather to take it home with me.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Why would you consider that over something like a 642? I'm not trying to persuade you, 'just wondering how you've already narrowed your selection down to an LCR?

Great gun and I have the CT grips on my 642 and other carry guns. I say, proceed.......

i am not 100% I like a lot of different the LCR was just the one that stuck out the most. I like the 637 S&W too, 642's, 442's there are just to many choices.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

My wife bought me one for Christmas. I do not have the CT grips.
    Pro - very light weight, easy to carry. Edges and everything are smooth. Trigger is awesome. (But I like Glock trigger pull too)
    Con - ugly as sin - or a glock. Can be a real handful with 158 g loads. Still manageable.
    NRA Life Member

This is just me, but if I were buying an LCR today, I would spring for the .357 just to have a little extra weight and also the option of the .357 if I wanted to try it later.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think the Ruger LCR is a fantastic concealed carry handgun, so yes, pull the trigger and take it home with you. I also agree that you should take a look at it in .357 so that you can have some extra weight for recoil and have the choice of shooting 38 or 357 through it.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

get it!!!!! stick with the 38, it a slick, nice shooting gun, great for what it was made for. i pocket carry or i owb and toss in a couple quick strips and go, only bad thing is they don't come in stainless LOL

I have the 38 version of the LCR and am going to pick up the .357 LCR tomorrow. I say go for it. You might want to consider the .357 tho. Blackened Stainless, 3 more ounces of weight. You have the option to load .357's if you want, but the extra 3 oz will also help recoil even for the 38's. I love the 38 version, but would like the extra weight of the .357 and the option to shoot .357's.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    I'm also on the .357 bandwagon. Load it with whatever you want. Why limit your options?

I think the .357 is a better option recoil wise, just carry .38 in it.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Why would you consider that over something like a 642? I'm not trying to persuade you, 'just wondering how you've already narrowed your selection down to an LCR?
    way better trigger pull on the LCR and only weighs 13.5oz...buy it

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    way better trigger pull on the LCR and only weighs 13.5oz...buy it
    Plus better sights and comes with a much nicer grip than the Smith & Wesson J Frames. They make a model with CT grips and one with XS standard dot tritium sights and a Hogue Tamer grip.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Lots of great points. I would like the 357 version I may wait for the LGS to get one before I move. Thanks for all the info guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I am being tempted by a Ruger LCR 38 crimson trace model! Looking for some pro's and cons to help me decide weather to pull the trigger on it or not?? I am 50/50 just need to convince myself one way or another weather to take it home with me.
    It was the pulling of the trigger that sold me on my LCR.

IMO, it's gotta be loads better than most all DAO revolvers out there as of now.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links