Which Snubbie - Page 2

Which Snubbie

This is a discussion on Which Snubbie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No one said SP101 yet!?...

View Poll Results: Pick one

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W airweight 442 no LG's *cheapest

36 33.96%
  • S&W 637 airweight with LG's

8 7.55%
  • Ruger LCR with LG's *most exspensive

32 30.19%
  • Something way different

30 28.30%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Which Snubbie

No one said SP101 yet!?

The Ruger LCR! With or without laser, its your choice and pocket book.

I have two LCRs without laser (sold two S&W 342ti .38 specials earlier this year to get the LCRs)
    Really, really, like the LCRs triggers.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    442 won. I liked the trigger just as good on the LCR but they didn't have a non LG model in sock so I got the smith. I will buy a 357LCR soon I think though.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Pics of the gun:
    Attached Images
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

How do you plan to carry? If front pocket, vote goes to the 442. I had a LCR, sold it, now have an M&P 340 CT. The M&P is smaller in the pocket, and while it shouldn't matter the LCR to me was downright ugly. As everyone else has echoed the LCR does have a very nice trigger.
    Walk quietly and carry a big stick.

Smith & Wesson 438. It is a black finish shrouded hammer Airweight .38+P 5 shot snub. If you want a .38, that has all of the advantages. The 649 is the .357 version in stainless. I'd forget the laser grips in a snub. Given a couple hundred rounds of practice you won't need them.

Product: Model 438

Of what you have listed, I have the 442 and it's great...I later bought an old steel S&W 49 that has the shrouded hammer and I love it too. If you want .357 Mag, the SP101 is an awesome choice. I have one of those too and I love it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I vote for steel.....Model 36 or Model 60.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

T45
    I like the Taurus 85 or 605 in 357mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    442 won. I liked the trigger just as good on the LCR but they didn't have a non LG model in sock so I got the smith. I will buy a 357LCR soon I think though.
    A fine choice sir. I have one and am completely satisfied with it and love carrying it. That is, when my girlfriend's not toting it herself. I'm eager to pick her up a new pistol so I can have mine back.

Reserve some extra time for yourself at the range to break that trigger in and you may want to consider swapping some springs in it. "Bugdude" has some great data on that:
    Wolff Spring Sets on a S&W 442

I'm also with Bugdude on the SP101. I can't think of a better 357 in a CCW package.
    Last edited by 3rik; March 12th, 2011 at 03:27 AM. Reason: added link
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    the LCR .357 is steel
    Really? Isn't the fire control group polymer?
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Interesting as my wife is considering (with my encouragement) a smaller firearm. She purse carries (I know, I am not a fan but that argument is over) and I suggested that a wheel gun should be in her selection list. All of your input is educational on the subject.
    I would recommend something with an internal or shrouded hammer to avoid it getting caught or hung up on anything in her purse. IMHO I would get an all steel S&W. The aluminum framed guns are lighter but the perceived recoil is greater. The scandium frames are even lighter and more difficult to control well. As she is purse carrying (better than not at all) the extra few ounces shouldn't be an issue but will make a big difference in the handling and comfort when firing it.

I've read a lot of good things about the Ruger LCR but haven't had the opportunity to try one yet.

Best of luck!
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

When it comes to snubbies, the 638 with 2.5" barrel is the model that solves many of the compromises you have to make with this platform. No, it doesn't address the firepower issue - only carries 5 onboard, so you want a reload. But the hammer, DA/SA, accuracy, and weight issues are handled. The trigger is just crazy sweet and it feels great in the hand. It's possibly the best snubbie S&W ever produced.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I got out and shot it today and I like it only put 10 rounds through her as I had to get to work, but I am pleased. I grabbed a pocket holster as this is going to be my truck/backup gun. Even the wifey likes it so maybe I can get her to "take it" so I can go out and buy another I do like steel guns but I like variety too I have a S&W 60 and a Rossi 357 snub, so they cover my all steel snubbies.

I went through several. I had an M38 bodyguard and then a Ruger SP101 and have found my 642 is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I got out and shot it today and I like it only put 10 rounds through her as I had to get to work, but I am pleased. I grabbed a pocket holster as this is going to be my truck/backup gun. Even the wifey likes it so maybe I can get her to "take it" so I can go out and buy another I do like steel guns but I like variety too I have a S&W 60 and a Rossi 357 snub, so they cover my all steel snubbies.
    My 442 is my most versatile carry gun. Pocket carry, IWB, OWB, ankle, SOB, strong side, weak side (as secondary access to whatever else I'm carrying). It is hard to beat from a versatility standpoint. I did indeed do the Wolff spring replacements and it really made a big difference in the trigger and my ability to shoot it with my weak hand. If it has a lock, I recommend removing the lock flag too (which I cover in my thread). It's all super simple and there are youtube videos that walk through it. Congrats, you'll enjoy it. I've been surprised at the accuracy I've been able to develop with it in a little time. Better than many of my semi-autos actually (but I'm a long-time revolver guy). Try the hammerless revolver grip (google it). Left thumb up high over top of the right thumb base. Helps with folow-up shots.
    Dragman likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links