Which Snubbie - Page 3

Which Snubbie

This is a discussion on Which Snubbie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; thanks for all the info!!...

View Poll Results: Pick one

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W airweight 442 no LG's *cheapest

36 33.96%
  • S&W 637 airweight with LG's

8 7.55%
  • Ruger LCR with LG's *most exspensive

32 30.19%
  • Something way different

30 28.30%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Which Snubbie

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    thanks for all the info!!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    This
    I concur. I love my LCR .357. I put on the boot grip and night sight.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Every gun discussed has been a high-quality piece of ordnance, which I would say is the primary issue for concealed carry. (No big news there, I know :-) I also appreciate the OP's statement that he enjoys variety & has several types--I personally agree with everything that implies, to include that most of us enjoy the shooting hobby for its own sake. Absent that factor, choosing a gun is like selecting a quality hammer & moving on.

All of which (ahem, ahem) "justifies" my own somewhat idiosyncratic choice: a Smith & Wesson 32-1 in caliber .38 S&W, loaded with 200g flat-nosed bullets at about 600 fps. Once summer returns here in Louisiana, I'll switch to a stainless Mod. 60 loaded similarly in .38 SPL. Think I'll get an S&W airweight again for times when pocket carry is all I can reasonably do. Besides old-school guns & ammo, I also use old-school point shooting techniques (think Fairbairn & Sykes, Applegate), so I don't want lasers or adjustable sights.

Now, if I were an LEO selecting a duty gun for concealed carry, I'd change some things to match the significantly different mission.

LCR ugly???

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I can't offer anything in the way of comparison since the LCR is the only stubby I've owned but it's light and the Hogue grip makes recoil very forgiving.

Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Next on my snubbie list is the 357LCR hands down!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I haven't fired the LCR, so am not qualified to contrast with the Smith (my 638 is awesome) but for self defense at snubbie distances, I don't know if I would pony up for the laser grips. I'd buy ammo instead.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    S&W 637 with no laser.

I always like the option of shooting in SA.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I had the S&W 642 (same as 442 except it is SS) and Ruger LCR at the same time. I must admit that after shooting all metal guns for 42 years I really liked the LCR. It was lighter and the trigger was the best snubbie trigger I have every had. Sold the 642 and kept the LCR which was my main carry gun for a while until I found the Kahr PM9. PM9 is smaller and about the same weight but has a better bullet for SD although I give props to the .38 +P. Also prefer to reload using a magazine as that is what I am used to from many years shooting competitively.

All would make great carry guns, but I would go with either a S&W Model 19/66 or a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Spl. I like the extra round in the Model 19/66 and the Bulldog's big hole at the end.
    Semper Fi

This is strickly a backup gun. I like the. 38+p and the 357 even more (357 LCR next month) but my CC is a glock 30 in 10mm. I am just not comfortable enough with the snubbie and 5 shots to make it my primary

If your not going to buy and sell a lot of guns AND you want a revolver that's like a 442 Charter Arms Model 53711 is a 12oz wt,2" barrel, 5shot .38 +P DAO for $340 OR their Model 73811 for a little less $$
    Last edited by danlct; March 13th, 2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: add model

Smith&Wesson model 640

One vote here for the S&W 640, SS,DAO .357/.38 spec--modded with CT grips,plus an action job and gold bead front site by Nelson Ford.
    This gun conceals extremely well OWB,IWB and pocket carry in a pocket holster.
    All snubbies have a learning curve and require regular practice to shoot and reload, but it is well worth the effort.
    I carry mine everywhere it is legal to do so.
    Caroline

I voted 442 w/o laser grips, because that's what I have!
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    The 442 is the perfect combo of size and weight...especially if you pocket carry....all steel is too much for the pocket and for me, the ankle, where my 442 spends much of it's time...sure the steel guns are easier to shoot, but this is an up close and personal piece...practice point shooting without using your sights at 15 feet and you are good to go...with practice, you can put all 5 shots center mass on a silhouette without a sight picture.

The LCR is hard to beat. The triggers they have are just sooooooooo Goooooooooooddd.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links