The P250: customization by owners - lots of pretty pics.

This is a discussion on The P250: customization by owners - lots of pretty pics. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The inexpensive cost of frames for the P250 and the fact that the frame isn't a gun, has encouraged owners to do some customizing. Here's ...

Thread: The P250: customization by owners - lots of pretty pics.

Senior Moderator

The P250: customization by owners - lots of pretty pics.

The inexpensive cost of frames for the P250 and the fact that the frame isn't a gun, has encouraged owners to do some customizing. Here's one that's just a grip sleeve:

Others have done some nice Dura Coating:

Up close:

And a comparison of stock to custom paint job:

Here's another 'artist' job - patience we'll get to the frame mods. Notice in the next two pics how the textured grip panel has been left the original color. I bet that took some patience!

and another by the same guy, this time TITANIUM on a subcompact:

Ok some 'trim' jobs:
    Notice in this pic the muzzle end of the frame. The frame normally comes to the end of the slide. Here we see it's been cut back to a bit more traditional look. Also he's installed a SS slide.

I have more of these trimmed frames, but I'm only allowed 12 images so I can't include any more.

Ok, now on to the frame conversions:
    Here's what we're looking at. This is a subcompact slide on a cut down compact frame. This creates a Commander look. I.e. the Commander size of a 1911 in comparison to the full size. This mod also adds a rail to the subcompact and increases the capacity:

And here's how it's done. Here is a pic of a compact frame beside a subcompact:

Here's the original subcompact with the compact frame:

Here's the compact frame cut down to the subcompact slide length:

and here's the final look:
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Interesting results. I really like your sub slide compact grip. What did you use to cut the gripframe?

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I like the basic plain black P250 myself. i do like the grip-sleeve also.
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    Interesting results. I really like your sub slide compact grip. What did you use to cut the gripframe?
    None of these belong to me; this is all work done by the owners themselves. Hmmm, that's a good question; I'll see what I can find out about that.

Very nice jobs. These guys have some real plastic working talent.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Very nice jobs. These guys have some real plastic working talent.
    Actually, there's not anything done here that couldn't pretty easily be done with a metal gun. Painting is not material sensitive, especially for DuraCoat. And cutting the front of a metal frame can readily and easily be done with a hacksaw and then trued up with a file.

The reason we won't see this kind of stuff done on metal frames by the owners in general is because the metal frames are much more expensive, and they are guns. So if one were to mess one up, he could not only be looking at an expensive frame replacement, but having to go through the FFL hassel to get the new frame. And, he'd be stuck with a messed up 'gun' as well.

Plus, there aren't a lot of guns that one could actually do size swaps on. E.g. you can't put a compact slide on a FS Glock frame because the locking blocks are different and not interchangable. The same is true for the Sig 226/229. The slide of a 229 is wider than a 226 and there may be significant other differences as well.

I now have two P250 projects I want to try. I want do the same frame/slide thing with a fs frame and compact slide, that would kind of be the concept of the Commander in a 1911 on a fs P250.

The second would be beyond the resources of most owners, but again because with the P250 system, "Everything changes" the fs barrel will fit a P250 compact slide, I'm thinking about getting a compact .45 kit and a fs barrel. The barrel will of course be longer than the slide. Hence I can put the fs barrel on my milling machine and port it. It looks like I'd need to face the barrel down a bit too, but that's a pretty easy task on my lathe.

My first effort, however would be to do this on my 9mm compact. All I'd need for that is a fs barrel. I may find the 'milled' porting to be more complicated than just cutting ports to the right size; it may be that milling would affect accuracy. But there again, that'd be relatively inexpensive if it went all wrong.

Well heck, at the P250 price point, I might just have to get a couple of 'em now.
    The ALTAC internet show: http://altac6.blip.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    None of these belong to me; this is all work done by the owners themselves. Hmmm, that's a good question; I'll see what I can find out about that.
    Any update? I'm wondering if a dremel cutting wheel and polishing stone or light sand paper would do it?

Thats some good looking mods on those pistols. Owners get creative to make their pistols their own.

I could use help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I have a Glock 23 Gen 3 and just bought a Sig P250.... I noticed that the Glock has WAY MORE customizations available than the Sig or I am not looking in the right spot. Can someone help me find a site that I can buy parts to customize my Sig Please!!!

Links