Ruger SP101, .327 Magnum

This is a discussion on Ruger SP101, .327 Magnum within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I bought my Ruger, I was expecting much less recoil than the .357 model, but I don't see/feel much difference. Would this be a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gman51
  • 1 Post By nedrgr21

Thread: Ruger SP101, .327 Magnum

Ruger SP101, .327 Magnum

When I bought my Ruger, I was expecting much less recoil than the .357 model, but I don't see/feel much difference. Would this be a lot less with, say, the Ruger GP100 which is about 40 ozs. compared to my Ruger at about 28 ozs? Also, since the .327 will take the 32 H&R magnum loads, am I going to be able to find it? Many thanks, guys/gals.
    Johnny Boy from Cincinnati.

2. Remove Ads

You should be able to find some 32 H&R Magnum if you look around at your local gun stores. The GP100 will have significantly less recoil.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    I had to get a Hogue mono grip, 45,000 psi chamber pressure and the recoil is stout.
    You may have to get your .32 H&R on line.
    These people make a great .32 H&R when they have it, call first

Georgia Arms - .32 H&R MAG

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jclaudek View Post
    When I bought my Ruger, I was expecting much less recoil than the .357 model, but I don't see/feel much difference.
    Which of the specific .327 loads did you try? They vary in terms of their characteristics and power.

The 100 gr load from Federal is as hot as many .357 Magnum and .40 S&W loads in terms of energy. Both of the 85 gr bullet loads, however, have about the same power level as a typical 9mm self-defense load.

What Federal load # is written on your box of ammo?

Thanks for the tip on the GP100!

I have the Speer 115 gr. GDHP, # 23914. Does this help? Thanks for your reply.

I put a Hogue mono grip on mine. It definitely helps.

Ruger GP100

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    You should be able to find some 32 H&R Magnum if you look around at your local gun stores. The GP100 will have significantly less recoil.
    Hello Boys and Girls( apologies to Tony Kornheiser from " Pardon the Interruption." How much less recoil will the Ruger GP100 have over the SP101 with the.327 load? How will it compare to the .357 in the GP100 and the .327 in the SP101? Thanks for any info on this. I just got ther SP101, but am now thinking, maybe, I should have gotten the GP100 in the .357.
    Comments? And thanks from Philly Boy in Cincinnati.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jclaudek View Post
    Hello Boys and Girls( apologies to Tony Kornheiser from " Pardon the Interruption." How much less recoil will the Ruger GP100 have over the SP101 with the.327 load? How will it compare to the .357 in the GP100 and the .327 in the SP101? Thanks for any info on this. I just got ther SP101, but am now thinking, maybe, I should have gotten the GP100 in the .357.
    Comments? And thanks from Philly Boy in Cincinnati.
    My hand got numb shooting 30 .327 in a SP 101 and it lasted for a short while; in a GP 100 the recoil is noticeable but my hand does not get numb. Note: the SP 101 had factory grips at the time.

Thanks for that. I have put Hogue rubber grips on my gun, but the .327 still gives my hand quite a ride!

sp101 .327 mule kicker

I got my sp101 .327 and box of .32 target wads and shot it about 50 times. I thought this is really nice shooting gun. I do not like the trigger pull on da at 9+ lbs so I shoot mine sa.
    I just got delivery of some .327 mags and tried them out today. Holy cripe it was like I was shooting some other gun the recoil was so harsh. If my hand had a voice it would have said *** was that. I have to really get a good grip on it to be able to handle the recoil. I probably only shot 18 of these. I did not even want to shoot the whole box of 50. I realize the gun probably has the small grips for concealment purposes but I have ordered Hogue grips in hope it will make a better grip on it to handle recoil better.
    I read the recoil on .327 was a little less than the .357. I have a cowboy revolver with 4.75 barrel and with .357 the recoil really surprised me how easy to handle it was. For this reason I was not expecting this hand punishing .327 in the sp101 3" barrel. I am sure the weight is alot less on the sp101 than the cowboy but holy cow was I given a surprise.
    I have to say this gun seems built like a tank and the stainless look is really good.
    I will probably do more shooting with the .32 wads than the .327. As far as my carry gun I will stick with my Kimber ultra carry II .45 as it conceals well and to me it does not even kick as hard as the sp101 .327. Weight wise the Kimber and sp101 really seem pretty close.
    Philly Boy likes this.

327 Mag

I am very interested in this round. I know a lot of you love the 357, but I never use them. I would rather keep 38+p than a 357. Not to offend those of you who like the 357 but I would never carry a gun loaded with a round that goes so fast that it will pass right through an average person. I'm not a big fan of the 9mm either for the same reason. I know hollow points are reliable now more than in the past, but I want my round to stay in the average person, if it stays in them then their body felt the full force of the round. I would rather have that then hope the person bleeds out from the exit would. I'll take the extra round, it looks to be a moderate powered round, if you want a real stopper then go with the real king, 45acp. Not looking to start any arguments, just putting in my point of view, lets not forget it in my opinion it is more about the placement of the round than the round its self. Put a 22 in the right spot and your target isn't getting up. Looking forward to learning more from you guys, glad I finally found this place.

Quote Originally Posted by xplr02 View Post
    I am very interested in this round. I know a lot of you love the 357, but I never use them. I would rather keep 38+p than a 357. Not to offend those of you who like the 357 but I would never carry a gun loaded with a round that goes so fast that it will pass right through an average person.
    Here is a link to actual .357Mag shooting data. 357 Magnum Stopping Power

Over a thousand shootings recorded and one shot stops of around 96% with the 125gr JHP. Note the expansion and penetration info. I don't carry revolvers anymore and a Glock 32 .357Sig has taken the place of my S&W M66. Like having added barrier penetration capability too.

Used to carry a .45 Gold Cup but got tired of a 39oz EDC gun. The G32 only weighs 21.5oz empty and has a 14rd capacity.

If comparing light bullets, the .38+P in a 100gr Corbon Powerball is listed by Corbon at 1150fps out of a 2" barrel. A .327Mag 100gr bullet out of a 2" barrel can be slower (BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .327 Mag Results). The .38sp +p compares well in a short barrel gun and ammo is fairly ubiquitous.

I guess the lesson here is there's no free lunch. Still boils down to increased energy on target comes with the price tag of more felt recoil. Not saying anything about any particular shooter, but remember, a proper grip can make a huge difference.

If a round doesn't have enough energy to go through a person in all/any circumstances, it won't have enough energy to reach vital organs when shots are not ideal. And I'm not talking about poor shot placement - see the lessons learned by the FBI in Miami 25 yrs ago.

Philly Boy: you may still have made the right decision with the SP vs. the GP. You'd probably be less likely to carry all the time given the add'l weight of the GP. The SP give you more options in a lighter weight gun that you may be more apt to carry every day.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Links