Which Sub-Compact 9mm to Buy? - Page 3

Which Sub-Compact 9mm to Buy?

This is a discussion on Which Sub-Compact 9mm to Buy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I went to my local range and rented a Gen 3 Glock 26 and a Smith & Wesson M&P9c. I shot 50 rounds of ...

View Poll Results: Which Sub-Compact 9mm to Buy?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smith & Wesson M&Pc

35 21.47%
  • Glock 26

85 52.15%
  • H&K P2000sk

13 7.98%
  • Beretta Px4 Storm Subcompact

7 4.29%
  • Walther PPS

23 14.11%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which Sub-Compact 9mm to Buy?

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Yesterday I went to my local range and rented a Gen 3 Glock 26 and a Smith & Wesson M&P9c. I shot 50 rounds of Remington UMC 115gr 9mm ammo through each one of them. I was able to shoot tight groups with both pistols from 10 - 25 yards, the M&P9c had slightly better ergonomics, the Glock 26 was smaller and lighter, the M&P9c has more mag capacity (12 vs. 10) with the standard magazine, the M&P9c is aesthetically superior to the Glock 26 and I liked the Glock 26 trigger over the M&P9c. Therefore, it all comes down to the specs (size, weight, capacity, etc.) and price. The Glock 26 is $200 - $300 more expensive than the M&P9c, but the Glock 26 is definitely easier to conceal and that is my # 1 reason for my purchase.

Therefore, I have chosen to buy a Gen 4 Glock 26 and join the dark side!!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Ok, I found a used Gen 3 Glock 19 in perfect condition (only 50 shots fired through it) and it is for a VERY cheap price in Costa Rica ($700.00 used vs $1,200 new). How is the Glock 19 in comparison to the Glock 26 for concealed carry??? I am thinking about buying it...oh crap!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I carry a G19 every day in a Galco Royal Guard or CrossBreed Super Tuck. Great gun and holsters.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Of the ones you listed, I am partial to the Glock 26 & S&W M&P9c. I have owned a PPS, I liked the gun, but did not like the mag release at all, so it got sold.
    My EDC is a Glock 19, my wife's is a Glock 26. I have a S&W M&P9c in WA state, it is my carry gun when I fly out 1-2x each year.

I am also looking at picking up a 4th Gen Glock 26 later this year!
    Good choice, happy shooting.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

There isn't a bad choice listed, but I don't own any of them. My sub 9 is the Kahr CW9, decent price, reliable, and eminently concealable.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I want to buy a new sub-compact 9mm for concealed carry and these are the options that I have narrowed it down to. Please vote and comment as your opinion and knowledge is very helpful for the purchase process.
    All the choices you've listed are very fine handguns.

I'd suggest you try to shoot one of each and then make a decision.

Good luck.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Yesterday I went to my local range and rented a Gen 3 Glock 26 and a Smith & Wesson M&P9c. I shot 50 rounds of Remington UMC 115gr 9mm ammo through each one of them. I was able to shoot tight groups with both pistols from 10 - 25 yards, the M&P9c had slightly better ergonomics, the Glock 26 was smaller and lighter, the M&P9c has more mag capacity (12 vs. 10) with the standard magazine, the M&P9c is aesthetically superior to the Glock 26 and I liked the Glock 26 trigger over the M&P9c. Therefore, it all comes down to the specs (size, weight, capacity, etc.) and price. The Glock 26 is $200 - $300 more expensive than the M&P9c, but the Glock 26 is definitely easier to conceal and that is my # 1 reason for my purchase.
    Therefore, I have chosen to buy a Gen 4 Glock 26 and join the dark side!!!!
    The Glock 19 will not be "easier" to conceal than a M&P9c. seeing how it is bigger. Not saying it is to hard either. and the M&P9c is only .5 inches longer than the Glock 26, BUT it is rounded slide makes concealing easier than the Glock 26 in the sense that it doesn't print under your shirt as much as the Block of a Glock does.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

PF-9, reliable and a dream to carry.
    Weapons list suppressed...........

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    The Glock 19 will not be "easier" to conceal than a M&P9c. seeing how it is bigger. Not saying it is to hard either. and the M&P9c is only .5 inches longer than the Glock 26, BUT it is rounded slide makes concealing easier than the Glock 26 in the sense that it doesn't print under your shirt as much as the Block of a Glock does.
    The Glock 19 has already been sold so that is obviously out of the picture. I was more attracted to it by price than necessity, so I'm actually glad that I didn't buy it. I called the Glock dealer in Costa Rica and they are currently out of Glock 26 and their new shipment arrives until the end of May. Sucks! I don't want to wait that long. I called another local gun shop that carries S&W and he gave me a $100.00 discount if I pay cash for the M&P9c so I think that is what I am going to get. I was dead set on the Glock 26 but I think that both guns are equally matched in terms of reliability, accuracy, size, weight and mag capacity (except the high cap magazines for Glock), the thing is that the M&P9c is $300.00 cheaper than the Glock 26 and for me, that is a big deal right now.

The Glock 19 has already been sold so that is obviously out of the picture. I was more attracted to it by price than necessity, so I'm actually glad that I didn't buy it. I called the Glock dealer in Costa Rica and they are currently out of Glock 26 and their new shipment arrives until the end of May. Sucks! I don't want to wait that long. I called another local gun shop that carries S&W and he gave me a $100.00 discount if I pay cash for the M&P9c so I think that is what I am going to get. I was dead set on the Glock 26 but I think that both guns are equally matched in terms of reliability, accuracy, size, weight and mag capacity (except the high cap magazines for Glock), the thing is that the M&P9c is $300.00 cheaper than the Glock 26 and for me, that is a big deal right now.
    I think that's what I'd do. The M&P is more ergonomic in my opinion, and they're great shooters. I carry a 26, but I'd be fine with the S&W as well.

Instead of buying something that we want, why not get something YOU want? It's not about consensus or popularity, it's about which gun works best for you.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links