Kahr PM9 ends my search

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 ends my search within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the last year I have been trying to find the perfect carry gun for me. I bought about 16 of the most discussed and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kahr PM9 ends my search

Kahr PM9 ends my search

For the last year I have been trying to find the perfect carry gun for me. I bought about 16 of the most discussed and mentioned guns in the process. They ranged from the diminitive NAA .22lr mini revolver to a Glock 17 and a lot more in-between. Without going into detail, some medical problems make carrying IWB painful most days with heavy or thick guns. I tried the Glock 26/19, Sig P239, M&P 9c and a few other compact guns. I found them neither compact or comfortable. What I quickly learned is that carrying a gun is not pleasant and the heck with Clint Smith's little diddy about comforting and not comfortable. His words do not come from up on high. I refuse to go through life uncomfortable or else the criminals win.

I quickly learned that pocket carry was the most comfortable for me and carried my Seecamp LWS32 most times. It's a fine gun for its stated purpose of carrying it when you cannot carry a gun but it is a belly gun and I wanted something with sights and a bigger bullet. I was always drawn to Kahr pistols but never bought one due to many negative posts and having to spend a lot on ammo to break it in when my Glocks worked flawlessly out of the box. Plus the price was high and I did not want to buy yet another gun which I end up selling for a loss because it did not suit me. What I did was buy a Kel-tec PF9. It's quality is much less than what I normally go for but the little sucker shot well and was easy to carry IWB. Just a little too long for my pockets although do-able. The gun is good and I do carry it on occassion but I had my sights set on a Kahr PM9. Having satisfied myself that thin is in, I bought a PM9 and it works very well for me. Shoots good, no problems, fits easily into my pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis holster and carries well IWB with a Summer Comfort holster. I like the fact that I can carry it three ways; pocket, IWB and OWB comfortably. It is now my EDC.

I liked the PM9 so much that I also bought a Kahr P40 for those times I want to carry something with a bigger bullet. It is not much bigger than the PM9 and I can easily share holsters so I do not have to buy separate holsters for each gun. I can even pocket carry it in my jeans as it is only a few ounces heavier although if I think that I need a .40 that day I usually want it IWB where I can reach it quickly regardless of whether I am sitting, bending, etc.

Out of all my guns I ended up keeping the NAA mini revolver as they are just plain fun and can be carried any time, anywhere. Heck you can carry it in a folded handkerchief if you want. My Seecamp is also very small and fits just about anywhere and is my carry gun when I am staying local and away from the general public. I keep a Springfield XDm 45 for my home defense gun and the two Kahrs and my PF9 are my main serious carry guns with the PM9 getting the nod most times.

2. Remove Ads

Pretty much did the same thing this year; kept my Glocks, BHPs and a few sentimental handguns, traded in several which I never shot and bought three Kahrs. Funny thing is: I still visit the shops and lust for another gun(s).

VIP Member
    I carry a CW9 and even though I always have big plans in the morning to carry my G19 I always seem to put on the Kahr.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Yup, I know whatcha mean too... I picked up a PM40 a month or two ago and am extremely pleased with it. My CC needs requires me to stay concealed and yet remain comfortable and this little pistol fits that criteria to a tee. IMO, it's the best of both worlds, one being the .40 S&W caliber and the other in its diminutive size. Before I bought it I was actually looking for the PM9, but the forty was all my GS had at the time; it had night sights on it so I decided to go with it instead. The recoil as you might imagine is on the stout side, but in no way beyond controllable. Overall, IMO the Kahr PM series of pistols are some of the best small framed but effective caliber pistols out there. I know my PM40 is along the same size as my PPK, but with a serious jump up in caliber.

Congrats on the new Kahr. Be sure to give it the full work out treatment so it can tune itself up good and run like it should for ya.

Welcome to DC BTW.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Yep, I got on board a couple weeks back, PM9 for $600 NIB at the FTL Gun Show. Broke it in with no issues and it is now my EDC. Can't get over the weight. Ordered some Remora holsters for it and my G19 last night. As light as the PM9 is I suspect that holster will be perfect.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

I too am well aware of all the negative posts on Kahrs, however my CW9 has been a beauty. It did take about 300 rounds before I felt comfortable depending on it but since then it has been one excellent gun. It is so light to carry I almost forget it is on my hip and it shoots extremely accurately for such a small gun. I still prefer a .45 and carry my Wilson CQB but for comfort, concealability and accuracy the Kahr just can't be beat!

I was out to the range yesterday with my PM9 and it was dirty with 150 to 200 through it, and I fired 50 rounds of federal fmj through it with no problems, the total so far 780 rounds no problems. I love the DA trigger and the more I shoot the better I am getting with the PM9, I shot the S&W 642 and that trigger is not as smooth as the Kahr PM9, I like the DA triggers and can shoot both without much thought between the trigger pull.

I shot the G19 Gen 4 and it had a failure to feed the federal fmj at about the 340 round count, the G19 is history for me.

I've had my P9 for a couple of yrs, it didnt like Wolf and American Eagle ammo in the first 150-250 or so rounds....but since then I've used Hornady, Speer, Blazer Brass and Fiocchi with zero issues. Added mepro night sights and now looking for a houge (or houge-type) of grip.
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Don't ya just love the PM9? Mine is almost 6 years old and probably close to 2,000 rounds down the pipe (I've actually lost count, that's a reasonable estimate) and it still shoots extremely well. The only thing I've done to it is change the recoil spring after about 1500 rounds. With the extended magazine, 7+1 should get you out of most situations. It carries so well, there's not reason to not have it with you.
    surefire7 likes this.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I was out to the range yesterday with my PM9 and it was dirty with 150 to 200 through it, and I fired 50 rounds of federal fmj through it with no problems, the total so far 780 rounds no problems. I love the DA trigger and the more I shoot the better I am getting with the PM9, I shot the S&W 642 and that trigger is not as smooth as the Kahr PM9, I like the DA triggers and can shoot both without much thought between the trigger pull.

I shot the G19 Gen 4 and it had a failure to feed the federal fmj at about the 340 round count, the G19 is history for me.
    Don't give up on the G19 so quickly. It's probably a recoil spring issue. Try the 04 spring and see if that makes a difference. If not, get a 3rd Gen G19. It's simply the most versatile, cost effective, decent capacity self defense weapon on the planet!
    leathernuts likes this.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by HandgunWorld View Post
    Don't give up on the G19 so quickly. It's probably a recoil spring issue. Try the 04 spring and see if that makes a difference. If not, get a 3rd Gen G19. It's simply the most versatile, cost effective, decent capacity self defense weapon on the planet!
    Hi Bob, I have a #4 spring on the way and will give it a try.

Thats good to hear, I just bought a PM 9 and haven't got out to shoot it yet but i have went through several cc guns (S & W 642, KelTec P11, Glock 26, etc.) trying to find the right one and I hope the PM9 is the one. I usually carry the G26 or the 642 and wish the Glock was smaller and the 642 had a little more capacity and was easier to reload like a auto is.

I purchased a PM9 with night sights and it really is a great carry gun as far as comfort is concerned. My next handgun purchase will be a P45 and I plan on the P45 to be my primary CCW. The PM 9 went through the break in period with no malfunctions and has been reliable and accurate since.
    Lloyd

Eternity is a long time, do you know for certain where you will spend it?

Have to chime in on the PM9 (and 40). Got both these with black slides and night sights. Still in the later parts of break-in periods but absolutely no malfunctions from either yet. They are SO great to carry! Enjoy!!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I just got home from my PM9 break-in shoot. Two FTFs with a box of American Eagle, but otherwise went fine. A total of 300 rounds (5 types of FMJ and 50 rounds of my preferred carry round).

I don't think it will ever be my primary carry handgun, but is a great grab and go option (much like the CW9 it is replacing).

Has anyone installed the Novak rear sights available on Kahr's website? I really like the thought of the slightly lengthened sight plane, and generally prefer the Novak sight picture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links