Remington 1911 R1 "Range Report" - Page 2

Remington 1911 R1 "Range Report"

This is a discussion on Remington 1911 R1 "Range Report" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by zacii +1 on the McCormick mags. Get ya some decent mags and that will probably cure your problem. I use McCormicks and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 1911 R1 "Range Report"

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    +1 on the McCormick mags.

Get ya some decent mags and that will probably cure your problem. I use McCormicks and Wilsons.
    +3 on McCormick magazines, I use McCormick PowerMag in mine and they work great.
    Thanks for the range report, I have been looking at the R1 for a few months now.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by LoadedPipes View Post
    I was checking out the awesome pictures again but noticed something I missed the first read through and wanted to offer a bit of advice that might help. When you pull the trigger how much finger do you have across it? If you are hooking your entire finger through the trigger you are probably jerking the gun as you fire, try some dry fire and just use the tip of your trigger finger see if that helps the trigger control a little.
    Since the grip is so much skinnier than I'm used to, my finger does hang over the tirgger a bit further than I'm used to on my thicker plastic guns. So you're most likely right. I'll have to think about that next time I'm out!

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Is a beavertail something that could be easily installed? I tried to find a picture of a classic looking 1911 with one, and here is what I came up with... still looks plain, like I like it, but with added hand safety :) (I noticed the hammer looks modified)
    http://static.flickr.com/48/11657436...99fd37.jpg?v=0

Wilson Combat Beavertail Grip Safety Semi Drop-In 1911 Series 70, 80 Blue - MidwayUSA

I added a new neat picture I just took :)
    Did this myself with the EB jig, 8" mill single cut file, chainsaw file and sandpaper, just cold blue for now

Ed Brown memory groove, the gap seems a bit big at the mainspring housing but I can live with it. Bobbed the spur hammer for now.
    Last edited by Chainman; March 15th, 2011 at 11:44 PM. Reason: you cant call a single cut file by its common name with out the *********
    Being shot in the process of committing a crime provides potent Pavlovian conditioning to the perpetrator.

Beavertails

Here's my RIA compact with the beavertail right from the factory.Between the beavertail and the shortened hammer, it's a real dream to shoot.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

I was looking into getting the little "commander" hammer.

And then a Beaver tail, and some 8 and 10 round Chip McCormick mags. I told myself I was going to leave this thing alone, because I want a "traditional looking" 1911.

Chainman you're killing me with the pictures I have to go buy one now.

While I've fitted a few Wilson "drop-in" beavertails, for the difference in time between fitting one of those and fitting a proper "gunsmith fit" beavertail, I'd just as soon do the latter. Beware claims of "drop in fit," especially with 1911-types and Wilson parts. The first "drop in" kit I ever got from Wilson was a barrel/compensator combo. It did drop in, after approximately 10 hours of my bench time. As others noted, you'll need a new hammer or have to bob yours. I prefer Ed Brown's forged hammers, but Wilsons are good, too. A cheapo way to prevent hammer bite is to replace your hammer with a Commander type and Dremel out a dish in the top of your current grip safety for the hammer rowel to clear. No need for frame cutting, and an easier fitting job than a beavertail. Your setup will then look like the Colt in your post, above.

Hmmm, that is true, I could just get the hammer. Instead of getting a beavertail and a hammer so it fits, just get a hammer that won't bite :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links