Remington 1911 R1 "Range Report"

This is a discussion on Remington 1911 R1 "Range Report" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, after 6 days of ownership of my very first 1911, I finally got this thing to the range. Let me say first, I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 1911 R1 "Range Report"

Well, after 6 days of ownership of my very first 1911, I finally got this thing to the range. Let me say first, I have no intention of this being a "defensive carry gun". Not even a HD gun. It's just a range gun to have and have fun with. With that said...... jams. But, I'm not that disappointed. It only seemed to happen with one of the mags (I marked them to tell which is which). It jammed once with the "good mag" and almost every time with the "bad mag" on either chambering the first round, or chambering the last round. In most cases a good "tap" on the the magazine would clear the jam, and I could skip right to "bang". They're the factory Remington mags that came with the gun. Maybe it needs broken in? Whatever. If my Hk or Glock ever jams (my Glock did stovepipe once), I'd be freaking out, because I trust my life to them. But they both have thousands of flawless rounds.

My very very first shot of the day was a 100% dead center bullseye (7 yards). I was excited. The trigger pull is great, despite having the firing pin block. Then, my shots started drifting to the left. I can't blame the gun. I shoot about an inch left with ALL my handguns. When I dry fire, I do everything perfect, but then it seems to be that at the range with live fire... something changes.... But accuracy, I think it good despite me sucking.

And, I finally understand the obsession of beavertails :) I have a nice little bloody spot right in the web of my hand. It doesn't hurt. I couldn't feel the hammer hitting me. It doesn't really bother me. I like the "traditional" look. But, if I ever get another 1911, it'll probably have a beavertail.

Overall, I think it's a pretty good gun. I need to give it some more time, but so far, I like it. I may get another 1911, but I know the are DEFINATLY more Glocks and Hk's in my future :)

Last edited by RKM; March 13th, 2011 at 11:47 PM.

Very nice looking gun, the beaver tail is a must. I carry my 1911s, but only after fine tuning them that I trust my life to them. Thanks for sharing
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    congrats.

They are certainly nice looking 1911s.

IMHO most newer commercial 1911s are built too tight.

I suggest a few sessions of manually cycling the slide and dry firing.

Also Metalform mags have an excellent reputation.

Metalform
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

That's a fine looking gun. With a bit of loosening up, it will most likely be fine. For the purpose that you bought it, it serves its purpose and looks good doing it. I like the plain jane GI models with no beavertail or anything, but I also haven't had any bite from them. I bought an RIA from a forum member here with about a thousand rounds through it and it has been a great entry level 1911 for me...inexpensive and already loosened up. I carried it for months but mostly it is a range gun. Enjoy your 1911 and I hope it works out the jams with a little breaking in.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    Try better mags as I don't know the Remmington mags and their quality.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Congrats, and thanks for the report. About that magazine, perhaps you could call Remington. It'll be a chance to test their customer service, too. Hopefully they can send you a working one. You shouldn't have to spend more money to replace something that should be working from the factory from round 1 - IMHO, anyway!

Before I call Remington, I want to see if it works itself out. Maybe it just needs broken in, I don't know. I don't want to jump to conclusions yet. I put 100 rounds through it today, if I continue to have problems the third or forth time out after a few hundred rounds, maybe I'll call.

I just cleaned it. I watched Hickok45's video on field stripping. The barrel bushing is a pain. Thankfully, it came with a little handy tool. Hopefully I cleaned it correctly. I'm used to cleaning Glocks and Hk's. I tried to be a bit more liberal with the oil, as I know Glock's could care less if they have oil in them or not :P

AKsrule, thanks for the link! If I continue to have problems, I'll give them a try. Maybe I'll just buy them anyway to have spares.

Probably the crappy mag try a Chip McCormick or something to rule that out before bothering with the hassle of calling Remington. Did you clean it before firing the first time? Typical "watch out" with cleaning is when you replace the recoil spring it has two ends - one open and one closed loop, the open end goes towards the front of the muzzle if its backwards you can run into some problems. If you want to loosen it up a little lightly oil the slide and rack it a couple hundred times so the metal "meshes" it will start to form wear spots where the metal contacts and run much smoother after a break in period. Hope it works out for you they're nice looking guns but I'm one of those weirdo's that trust my life to a 1911.

+1 on the McCormick mags.

Get ya some decent mags and that will probably cure your problem. I use McCormicks and Wilsons.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    +1 on the McCormick mags.

Get ya some decent mags and that will probably cure your problem. I use McCormicks and Wilsons.
    +2 thats what I run in mine.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

GM
    Very good looking 1911. If you always have problems with the same mag I do not think the problem is the gun. I use Wilson mags and all of them work flawless.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

mkh
    I looked at the Remington on Friday but decided to go with the Taurus PT1911 instead mainly because of the Remington's lack of beaver-tail For me that is a must have feature - I got bit too many times in the military.

Is a beavertail something that could be easily installed? I tried to find a picture of a classic looking 1911 with one, and here is what I came up with... still looks plain, like I like it, but with added hand safety :) (I noticed the hammer looks modified)
    http://static.flickr.com/48/11657436...99fd37.jpg?v=0

Wilson Combat Beavertail Grip Safety Semi Drop-In 1911 Series 70, 80 Blue - MidwayUSA

I added a new neat picture I just took :)
    Last edited by RKM; March 13th, 2011 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Is a beavertail something that could be easily installed? I tried to find a picture of a classic looking 1911 with one, and here is what I came up with... still looks plain, like I like it, but with added hand safety :) (I noticed the hammer looks modified)
    You'll have to either bob the hammer or get a commander hammer, also need to do some filing/fitting its hardly "drop in" as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    My very very first shot of the day was a 100% dead center bullseye (7 yards). I was excited. The trigger pull is great, despite having the firing pin block. Then, my shots started drifting to the left. I can't blame the gun. I shoot about an inch left with ALL my handguns.
    I was checking out the awesome pictures again but noticed something I missed the first read through and wanted to offer a bit of advice that might help. When you pull the trigger how much finger do you have across it? If you are hooking your entire finger through the trigger you are probably jerking the gun as you fire, try some dry fire and just use the tip of your trigger finger see if that helps the trigger control a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links