Range Report on the new LCR .357

This is a discussion on Range Report on the new LCR .357 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took the new LCR .357 to try it out today. Stoked it first with some 125gr Semi Jacketed solid/flat nose (Blazer I think). Ooooouuuucchhh That ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Report on the new LCR .357

Range Report on the new LCR .357

Took the new LCR .357 to try it out today. Stoked it first with some 125gr Semi Jacketed solid/flat nose (Blazer I think).

Ooooouuuucchhh That hurt!

I put 5 rounds through it. Reloaded it. Handed it to Pink Lady. She fired the first shot, looked at me like, "that hurt bad" and then fired one more. That was all she could take. I finished that cylinder and then tried a 125gr Remington Golden Saber. No difference. It hurt.

That thing is a power house!

We did however enjoy shooting .38's through it. Quite easy to make follow-up shots and recoil isn't bad at all.

Pink Lady says she still likes her S&W 60 better for .38. Yet a few ounces heavier.

Personally I love both the LCR (38) and the LCR (357) for working with .38, but for .357 it is a hand full.

Just my opinion. AZChevy may do really well with it, but I think I'll stick with 38's, atleast until I put in some more time at the range with it. Maybe a little at a time, I'll get used to the .357's in it.

Sweet gun!!! but not for the recoil sensitive!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

Try some Corbon 115g. They shoot a bit softer.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Try some Corbon 115g. They shoot a bit softer.
    Thanks Rollo. Will see if I can find some to try.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

That's why I opted for the SP101; I can't handle the recoil in a lighter weapon like the LCR.

Azchevy makes it look easy, but I like the SP101.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    That's why I opted for the SP101; I can't handle the recoil in a lighter weapon like the LCR.

Azchevy makes it look easy, but I like the SP101.
    I was about to buy an SP101, but I already had the LCR (.38) and I like it so much, I figured two things. With the little extra weight, Pink Lady would possibly be able to carry it with .38's in it because she is recoil sensitive and the .38 LCR is a little much for her. . . and 2. If it is too much even for me with .357's in it, then it would still regardless, make a nice back up or primary .38 carry gun. Two LCR's are better than one!

I'm thinking a 3" SP101 is in our future now.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I was about to buy an SP101, but I already had the LCR (.38) and I like it so much, I figured two things. With the little extra weight, Pink Lady would possibly be able to carry it with .38's in it because she is recoil sensitive and the .38 LCR is a little much for her. . . and 2. If it is too much even for me with .357's in it, then it would still regardless, make a nice back up or primary .38 carry gun. Two LCR's are better than one!

Good thinking!

Who knows? Maybe you'll get used to it after a bit of practice.

I bet that you'll be launching full house loads outta that little cannon before gas hits $4

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Good thinking!

Who knows? Maybe you'll get used to it after a bit of practice.

I bet that you'll be launching full house loads outta that little cannon before gas hits $4
    Ha! I kinda doubt it, but I might consider carrying some light .357's in it. Like they say, in a SD situation and the adrenaline dump, I wouldn't even feel it or hear it anyway. . . right? (I hope not LOL).
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Here are my thoughts. I have a LCR in .38 and absolutely love it.

How much more power do you think you would get out of (let's use Rollo's suggestion) 115 grain CorBon in .357 compared to a quality .38 +P. My gut instinct is that if the 115 gr are so easy to shoot then they probably don't provide that much more "stopping power" than a good .38+P. Especially out of such a short barrel.

I may be completely wrong. Thoughts?

Thanks for the review these certainly look interesting but my sp101 isn't going to be replaced by one any time soon, great weight for a BUG in .357 though just not a range gun.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post

How much more power do you think you would get out of (let's use Rollo's suggestion) 115 grain CorBon in .357 compared to a quality .38 +P. My gut instinct is that if the 115 gr are so easy to shoot then they probably don't provide that much more "stopping power" than a good .38+P. Especially out of such a short barrel.

While a heavy +P may produce more energy in physics, it matters little if you can't handle it well enough to place it effectively. That's why I've reduced my .38 Special to a 125 grain variety. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post

I've wondered how the LCR would handle .357. I'm not recoil sensitive, so I'm not a good indicator for others. I bought the 2.25" SP101 and I shoot 158gr .357 Mags in it and it handles them quite well. It still gets your attention and may not be for those who are sensitive. With 38s, it is like shooting a .22. I really wanted the 3" bbl, but I was trading a rifle in and had to pick from what was ni stock. I'm guessing the slightly longer bbl would help with perceived recoil. The shorter one has worked out really well, so no regrets really. It just gives me something else to keep my eyes open for.

I love Ruger revolvers as do a lot of folks. You could list it here as a "Want to Trade" for a SP101. I'm not sure how the prices compare, but details could be worked out.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post

I don't have my chrono data handy but if I remember correctly the difference was about 300fps. That's considerable when talking about a hand gun cartridge. That being said that extra 300 fps does you little good if you can't put rounds on target. Shoot what you can shoot accurately and get good follow up shots with.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    If you think the recoil is bad in the LCR, try the .357's in your model 60, if it's a .357mag. That's why I'll stick with my SP101...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I found the the Remington .357 125gr JSP kicked a lot more the the .357 125gr Golden Sabers. I will admit, it does pack a punch.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I too found the Remy 125gr to have more kick than expected. I don't think my 158gr HST's are any worse. 158gr Fusion are a handful, while RAM 158gr were nice. Felt about like a 38+p to be honest. I'll have to chrono some of them to see the difference.

Mike
    SA LW Champion Operator x 2!
    DPMS AR-15

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links