Question about J Frame Grips (Advice Needed)

This is a discussion on Question about J Frame Grips (Advice Needed) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for all the wonderful advice!!!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about J Frame Grips (Advice Needed)

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Thanks for all the wonderful advice!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have to add a nodd to Pachmyr grips. If they don't cut it for felt recoil then no grip will. Add those plus regular .38's and you're good to go. If that's still not doing it, try the Ruger SP101 with regular .38's and start out with the OEM grip. From there try the pachmyrs and if that's to much then you'll need to consider a caliber change.

The Ruger SP101 w/3, 1/16" barrel with a regular .38 and pachmyr compac grips is about the softest shooting .38 I've ever experienced that wasn't a larger service sized revolver.

God Bless
    Gideon

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Yes. I've got a template to make a wooden piece to fill the gap at the bottom precisely and I'm going to glue and pin it to one of the grips and paint it black to look like a square butt frame. I haven't gotten around to it yet...the square butt grip gives me just enough extra room at the bottom to get my pinky on the grip and allows me hand to get higher (closer to the bore axis). I like it much better than any other grip I've tried...including a shorter round butt wooden grip. Once I get the little piece of wood in, it'll look bone stock.

As for pocket holster, a buddy of mine does car paint and upholstery and he made me some "pocket liners" out of thin upholstery vinyl. It is thin, yet covers the gun shape and the trigger. The one below he made me for my PT709. I have another one for my snubbies. I've found I can fold the upper part inside on this one and it works well on my snubs too.

Very nice!

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I have to add a nodd to Pachmyr grips. If they don't cut it for felt recoil then no grip will. Add those plus regular .38's and you're good to go. If that's still not doing it, try the Ruger SP101 with regular .38's and start out with the OEM grip. From there try the pachmyrs and if that's to much then you'll need to consider a caliber change.

The Ruger SP101 w/3, 1/16" barrel with a regular .38 and pachmyr compac grips is about the softest shooting .38 I've ever experienced that wasn't a larger service sized revolver.

God Bless
    Gideon
    I will take a look at the Pachmyr grips. To clarify, I usually carry a 9mm or .40 S&W pistol and I also have a .45 ACP pistol and 12 gauge shotgun, so I'm not recoil sensitive. The problem is that shooting 100+ rounds with my J Frame is sometimes downright painful and afterwards my hand is swollen and my trigger finger has a blister.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Personally, I can't stand the Nemesis holsters. I have one for my 442 and the thing feels like I'm carrying a dictionary in my pocket. Not to mention the grip exposes itself somewhat easily. You may be interested in a Galco Pocket Protector. An excellent pocket holster in my option. I believe S&W even sells their own version of one on their site.

I experienced the same fatigue your describing in your hand when I first bought my 442. I was instructed to place my hand up high nearer to the bore axis to compensate for the recoil and my hand was nearly useless the next day. These days I grip it lower, much the same as any ordinary revolver grip and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I honestly love to shoot the thing. I have seen no difference in my groups or follow up shots with the lower grip.

I also switched to the Rosewood grips S&W sells online. They absorb nothing whatsoever. However, they're more comfortable in my hand and allow better speedloader clearance. And they're sexy.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

The problem is that shooting 100+ rounds with my J Frame is sometimes downright painful and afterwards my hand is swollen and my trigger finger has a blister.
    100+ practice rounds through a 15 oz J Frame revolver can hurt for sure. I put service grips from S&W on my 438 and prefer them to the ones that came with the gun. I may try the Hogue Bantam grip sometime but I doubt they will provide much increase in shooting comfort. The wooden grips I'm using are a good fit for me.
    Attached Images

The shrouded hammer Bodyguard is the revolver I should have purchased when I got the Model 642. Yours looks good with the wood grips, wmhawth.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The shrouded hammer Bodyguard is the revolver I should have purchased when I got the Model 642. Yours looks good with the wood grips, wmhawth.
    When I decided to get one of these lightweight J Frames I chose the Bodyguard style for the single action option. Nice to carry...Not so nice to shoot.

Most all my Js wear one of two kinds of grips: Either Spegel Boot Grips or Crimson Trace LG-405 Lasergrips. The Spegels feel great, look even better, conceal well and point wonderfully, but like most wooden grips, don't do much for recoil management. The CTs, on the other hand, have not just a laser, but hard nylon side panels and a soft neoprene backstrap cover. Even my Beast, the 340 PD, is far less painful to shoot with the 405s. Failing that, if you can conceal them, Pachmayr Compacs are quite comfortable on these little guns. However, they are rather large and tend to cling to covering garments.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    100+ practice rounds through a 15 oz J Frame revolver can hurt for sure. I put service grips from S&W on my 438 and prefer them to the ones that came with the gun. I may try the Hogue Bantam grip sometime but I doubt they will provide much increase in shooting comfort. The wooden grips I'm using are a good fit for me.
    I love that airweight bodyguard with old school wooden grips. If you ever want to sell or trade it, let me know.

I have this 1960 S&W 49 steel frame bodyguard with original wood grips. I love it, but it is not rated for +P. I shoot standards in it and carry +Ps in it for SD when I carry it. I'd love a modern airweight version like yours. It is shown here with my 442 before I switched out the grips.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links