If All Goes Well, a New 9mm?

This is a discussion on If All Goes Well, a New 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Moderators please move if in wrong spot. Thanks Ok so after dating my girlfriend for almost 5 years now, she has finally decided to buy ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alachner

Thread: If All Goes Well, a New 9mm?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar

If All Goes Well, a New 9mm?

Moderators please move if in wrong spot. Thanks
    Ok so after dating my girlfriend for almost 5 years now, she has finally decided to buy her own gun. She "should" be picking up her purchase permit on Tuesday and we will be "hopefully" going to buy her a new handgun. (the city she lives in has a slow police department.)

She has it narrowed down to a M&P9 compact or the S&W Model 640 (.357mag J-frame) she has shot both, the M&P9c extensively since my dad & uncle have one.

(She has shot my friends Glock 26 and said it is not comfortable to her so that is a no. also shot my friends S&W 442 and said it is not "fun" because it recoils to much.)
    95% leaning towards the M&P9c
    but likes the "wheel gun feel" (she told me she really doesn't have a reason why she like the 640, I'm 100% sure it's because she loves my dad's S&W .357mag Model 19)

I was the one to introduce her to guns, and she has greatly improved over the years. We are both going to take our CPL class this summer. She shoots anything I put in her hands from a .22 Revolver to a .44 mag. She is not afraid of recoil. She easily handles a semi-auto and understands the semi vs. revolver debate.

I wish she would get the M&P40 compact, because I like the .40S&W round and it is just easier to buy one type of ammo, as she shoots my full size M&P40 better than you would think.

My Question is if she goes with the M&P9c what is the best grain? 115, 124,147?
    or which preforms closest to the M&P40c shooting a 155, 165, or 180 grain?
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think that she will be fine with Speer Gold Dots (147gr), Cor-Bon DPX (115gr), Federal Hydra-Shock (147gr) or Remington Golden Saber (124gr) Jacketed Hollow Point ammo.

oneshot likes this.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

My favorite 9mm load is by far the 147g Federal HST.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    My favorite 9mm load is by far the 147g Federal HST.
    A couple of my guns didn't like it... wouldn't load consistently. But, went with the 124 gr HST and no issues on any of them. So, try it out in the gun and see what works.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Well step one move away from somewhere that requires you to get a "purchase permit." what is that??? You're always welcome in Texas and bring your guns, we'll have some fun. Now to answer your question. With 9mm the biggest thing you need to worry about is how much does the round open up in some media? i.e. internal ballistics. As a VERY general rule, especially for 9mm, the faster the round is traveling the more it will open and petal out the larger wound channel it will make and the more likely you will be to cause trauma to the right organs. Handguns are feeble by design so don't think that a lighter bullet will have less "knock down power." The difference between light and heavy would be so little you can omit it. Shot placement, wound channel size and penetration are key. I personally like Federal HRT, but find out what your local law enforcment uses. After the fact when faced with a grand jury and they ask you about why your choice in ammo, it's supposed lethality should not be your answer, "it's what the sheriffs department carry, so I thought it would be good for me." sounds alot better. A quick google search says your sherrifs dept uses speer gold dot wich is an excellent round because it is bonded.

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I think that she will be fine with Speer Gold Dots (147gr), Cor-Bon DPX (115gr), Federal Hydra-Shock (147gr) or Remington Golden Saber (124gr) Jacketed Hollow Point ammo.

I like the looks of the box 11.) Winchester Ranger +p+, But I don't think I've ever seen 127 grain. that is interesting.
    Thanks guys.

My understanding was from a short barreled gun 3.0-3.5 inch range the lighter the load the better, that's why I asked because I figured 115grain would be the most common answer.

Many use the 115 or 124 gr GolDdots at +P . I use Federal +9+ BPLE. Buy any above mentioned will get the job done with good shot placenment.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post

My Question is if she goes with the M&P9c what is the best grain? 115, 124,147?
    or which preforms closest to the M&P40c shooting a 155, 165, or 180 grain?

whichever has the best price when you're ready to buy
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

It should be her decision based on her reasons. I'd recommend narrowing it down first to platform based on carry needs and intended purpose: semi-auto or revolver (capacity, size, weight, fit, trigger reach, safety features, ability to shoot well, etc.). Then, once platform decided, it should be size, weight, capacity, carry method, etc.. The biggest issue is what can she shoot well and handle follow-up shots well with. Also, the type, brand, style, and weight of ammo would depend on how your particular gun handles a particular round. There are lots of other issues to decide before you determine which is the best loading.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    It should be her decision based on her reasons. I'd recommend narrowing it down first to platform based on carry needs and intended purpose: semi-auto or revolver (capacity, size, weight, fit, trigger reach, safety features, ability to shoot well, etc.). Then, once platform decided, it should be size, weight, capacity, carry method, etc.. The biggest issue is what can she shoot well and handle follow-up shots well with. Also, the type, brand, style, and weight of ammo would depend on how your particular gun handles a particular round. There are lots of other issues to decide before you determine which is the best loading.
    Ok Update

She said she will be buying the M&P compact platform 99.99% in (9mm)

Her follow up shots are just about the same between the M&Pc and 640. With more training she will become faster with what ever she picks. Carry method will be OC until this summer after the CPL Class.

And I always give her opinions for everything with regards to shooting style, gun, and carry method.

Cool deal. In some of my very small 9s, I carry 115 gr Critical Defense. I have a midsize 9mm that speer gold dot 124 gr +P seems to be the best in it. My large frame 9mm, the 147gr varieties seem to function the best. Each gun is different as to recoil, cycling, and accuracy. It just takes a little trial and error sometimes to figure out the best fit. Good luck. Hope all goes well.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I got an M&P 9c, and am a big fan of the gun. I personally use 147 grain Gold Dots. Although I'm more accurate with the 124 grain FMJ I practice with. I usually fire a magazine at the end of the session real quick which may be the problem. Not really aiming. Just firing.

Anyhow, it seems that the gun will handle anything. My purchase was based off of price, and a desire to have one type of ammo. Maybe not the best reason but it worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I like the looks of the box 11.) Winchester Ranger +p+, But I don't think I've ever seen 127 grain. that is interesting.
    Thanks guys.

My understanding was from a short barreled gun 3.0-3.5 inch range the lighter the load the better, that's why I asked because I figured 115grain would be the most common answer.
    Actually, out of shorter barreled guns, heavier is better; has more dwell time in the bore, loses less velocity than the lighter loads, stays closer to the velocity window the bullet was optimally designed for.

Winchester actually recommends their 147gr Ranger-T's for shorter barrels.

Go here read this: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Choose one of the loads they recommend for the 9mm, try a couple boxes through the M&P, see if it likes it when she shoots it, and if she finds it controllable and accurate in rapid fire. If so, you've got a SD load you can be confident in.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Links