Was the Browning Hi-Power Still the Best Combat Pistol in the World in 1975?? - Page 2

Was the Browning Hi-Power Still the Best Combat Pistol in the World in 1975??

This is a discussion on Was the Browning Hi-Power Still the Best Combat Pistol in the World in 1975?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I finished watching all of the "Carlos" mini-series episodes. After his initial spectacular attacks while based in Western Europe, he operated out of Budapest ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Was the Browning Hi-Power Still the Best Combat Pistol in the World in 1975??

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Well, I finished watching all of the "Carlos" mini-series episodes. After his initial spectacular attacks while based in Western Europe, he operated out of Budapest for some time. For his own personal handgun, he ended up buying a SIG P210 for himself. It is featured several times, once during a shootout with Hungarian Secret Agents, and another time in a confrontation with them.

It was a very interesting series, highlighting how so many governments sponsor terrorists for their own ends. Carlos was actually paid $4 Million by Gaddafi to assassinate President Anwar Sadat of Egypt, something that I never knew. Just before Carlos was able to implement his elaborate planned attack on Sadat, however, the Muslim Brotherhood beat him to killing Sadat. Gaddafi was very pissed, as he had wanted to be the one to kill Sadat for making peace with Israel.

The show really highlights what a deep tradition that both Libya and Syria have of helping terrorists.

At various times Carlos worked for the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, Gaddafi, and Syria. The Syrians even abused their diplomatic privileges by shipping arms and explosives to Carlos via diplomatic freight, thus avoiding any inspection. Just before he was finally captured in 1994, he was talking to the Iranians about doing favors for them too.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndo View Post
    I think the Hi-Power is an excellent weapon, and at the time it was without equal in the 9mm world. It is still a very viable weapon as far as I am concerned.

+1. I wouldn't hesitate to go into a fight with one.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I believe that in the USA the 1911 is valued over the BHP for several reasons:

1. The tradition of US military use of the 1911 gives it great appeal to Americans.
    2. The .45 caliber ammo of the 1911 is much larger than the 9mm of the BHP, and in America bigger is always better - that is our personality.
    3. The trigger feel of the 1911 is superior to the BHP.

I guess I am typical, having about ten 1911s and no BHPs. I'd much rather have a 9mm Sig than a BHP.
    I have had a BHP 9mm for probably 15-18 years. I also have a Sig in .357 and 40 S&W. I carry the Sig .357 over the Browning for two reasons:

(1) - I prefer the harder hitting .357 over the 9mm
    (2) - I love the Browning so much I'm afraid something will happen to it if I carry it.

I think the BHP has the most beautiful and classic look of any handgun. It is by far my favorite pistol.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

I watched the show (all three) on sundance on demand after reading the post; it was great! I was a kid when a lot of this happened so I remember some of it from the news but never made the connection until I watched it. It was very well done!

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Did Carlos the Jackal choose the best pistol then available for his terrorists to use? Was there a better choice available to him back then?
    He chose the 'best' (in his opinion) pistol that was available to him in quantity from whatever illicit arms smugglers he was doing business with at the time. Has nothing to do with what was the 'best' pistol in the world at the time. (No slight intended to the BHP - It's a great pistol).

Regards,
    Jim

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Well, but what could have been considered better to use then? The CZ 75 and SIG P220 were not yet available. Both the Syrians and Libyans gave him many millions of dollars when he was working for them. He basically could get whatever equipment he wanted.

The SIG P210 was available, and the Sundance Miniseries showed him choosing it for his own personal pistol in the years following the big attack on OPEC. But then the BHP holds 62% more cartridges than the SIG P210 does, which is a significant advantage in ammo capacity.

Carlos is 61 years old now, and has filed lawsuits against the French in the European Court of Human Rights, claiming that his harsh imprisonment by them is inhumane, and constitutes torture. However, all of his lawsuits failed. Carlos is kept in a very small, Spartan cell, in total solitary confinement. However, he did kill 3 French policemen, which is probably why the French treat him so badly.

President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela considers him to be one of the greatest Venezuelans to have ever lived, and admires him greatly.

Here is a photo taken of Carlos the Jackal back in 1994, when he was finally captured. He was already obese and prematurely aging, when this photo was taken over 16 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela considers him to be one of the greatest Venezuelans to have ever lived, and admires him greatly.
    Well, in that case, Carlos is a-ok in my book.

I remember reading that Carlos the Jackal is a huge Osama bin Laden fan. I sincerely hope the French are treating him badly.
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

I used to want a BHP in the mid-late 80's. The kids were young, and the bills were plenty. For obvious reasons, I went with 1911, and Sig pistols, instead.
    Fast is good but accurate is better.

If I had only one pistol today and it was a Browning Hi Power I would feel perfectly secure. I think the idea of a "best pistol" is fatuous. If one is accurate and reliable with any firearm it is sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Teuthis View Post
    If I had only one pistol today and it was a Browning Hi Power I would feel perfectly secure. I think the idea of a "best pistol" is fatuous. If one is accurate and reliable with any firearm it is sufficient.
    I agree; it is not my first choice but I would not have a problem with it... I think it is a fantastic pistol!

Quote Originally Posted by HKnGlock View Post
    The BHP is much more reliable than the 1911 these days. JMB before his passing thought his BHP was his best design history proved him wrong. I personally think if not for our Military needing a cartridge above the power of the .38 revolvers we were using the .45 was just as or more famous than the 1911 .45. We were fighting a War in the Phillipines using .38 revolvers that just did not get the job done. The Indians over there all pumped up with adrenalin and who nows what esle took multiple .38 hits not so when the 1911 an its .45 cartridge arrived. History lesson over, thanks

BTW my father told me about this forum and i should give it a try. I know its a large forum for sure.
    HKnGlock, with due respect, your history lesson is flawed. There are no "Indians over there." War in the Philippines resulting to the development of the 1911 was not with the Indians but with the Filipino Muslims.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Have never owned one but have shot several over the years, one of the best feeling and handling pistols I have ever shot. Even today in 2013 I still think it might be the best 9mm ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndo View Post
    I think the Hi-Power is an excellent weapon, and at the time it was without equal in the 9mm world. It is still a very viable weapon as far as I am concerned.
    Agreed. So far ahead of its time.

This is a 15 round pistol, a classic, and it doesn't jam

Browning HPs, and 1911s, are some of the best feeling handguns made. I own a Sig 226, and it's ugly, cumbersome, but reliable.

If it's not...it's not out of the running for the title.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links