Was the Browning Hi-Power Still the Best Combat Pistol in the World in 1975??

This is a discussion on Was the Browning Hi-Power Still the Best Combat Pistol in the World in 1975?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was watching the Emmy winning Sundance Mini-Series "Carlos" on TV today. I saw that in 1975, when the terrorist Carlos made his big attack ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Was the Browning Hi-Power Still the Best Combat Pistol in the World in 1975??

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

Was the Browning Hi-Power Still the Best Combat Pistol in the World in 1975??

I was watching the Emmy winning Sundance Mini-Series "Carlos" on TV today. I saw that in 1975, when the terrorist Carlos made his big attack on OPEC headquarters, kidnapping all of its ministers, he specifically selected Browning Hi-Powers to equip his team with. He referred to them as "the Brownings", and spoke affectionately about them.

Was the Hi-Power still the pre-eminent combat pistol in the world in 1975? While designed in 1975, I believe that the CZ-75 actually did not go into production until 1976. And I believe that while the Sig P220 first came out in 1975, it was in limited numbers, and was probably not yet considered to be "proven".

Did Carlos the Jackal choose the best pistol then available for his terrorists to use? Was there a better choice available to him back then?

2. Remove Ads

The BHP and 1911 were about the only semi autos in popular use at that time. The BHP was in use by the British SAS at that time, so yes, it was probably the best of the limited selection for the time.
    ChrisATX likes this.

Cool

In the post-war period, Hi-Power production continued at the FN factory and, as part of FN's excellent marketing and superb product line-up (which also included the FN FAL rifle and FN MAG general purpose machine gun), it was adopted as the standard service pistol by over 50 armies (93 nations). At one time most NATO nations used it, and it was standard issue to forces throughout the British Commonwealth. It was manufactured under licence, or in some cases cloned, on several continents. Former Iraqi ruler Saddam Hussein often carried a Browning Hi-Power.

While the Hi-Power remains an excellent design, since the early 1990s it has been eclipsed somewhat by more modern designs which are often double action and are manufactured using more modern methods. However, it remains in service throughout the world. As of 2007, the MK1 version remains the standard service pistol of the Canadian Forces, with the SIG P226 being issued to specialized units along with the Sig Sauer P225. The weapon is the standard sidearm of the Belgian Army, the British Army (although the SIG-Sauer P226 is being gradually introduced ), Indian Army, Australian Defence Force, Argentine Army, Luxembourg Army, Israel Police, Singapore Armed Forces and Venezuelan Army, among others. The Irish Army replaced its Browning Pistols (known popularly as BAPs, or Browning Automatic Pistols) with the H&K USP automatic in 2007.

Copied from Wikepidia........

photo.jpg

Click to enlarge photo.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Back in the late 1980s & even into the early nineties, the FBIs HRT members carried Hi-Powers.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I think it was; to this day I am not sure why it is not regarded much higher than the 1911, IMO it is a far better platform out of those two JMB designs the HP is several classes ahead of the 1911 I think, yet in America the 1911 seems to have a much higher following???

I think the Hi-Power is an excellent weapon, and at the time it was without equal in the 9mm world. It is still a very viable weapon as far as I am concerned.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

The BHP is much more reliable than the 1911 these days. JMB before his passing thought his BHP was his best design history proved him wrong. I personally think if not for our Military needing a cartridge above the power of the .38 revolvers we were using the .45 was just as or more famous than the 1911 .45. We were fighting a War in the Phillipines using .38 revolvers that just did not get the job done. The Indians over there all pumped up with adrenalin and who nows what esle took multiple .38 hits not so when the 1911 an its .45 cartridge arrived. History lesson over, thanks

BTW my father told me about this forum and i should give it a try. I know its a large forum for sure.
    Last edited by HKnGlock; March 14th, 2011 at 07:46 PM.

I believe that it was the best 9mm combat pistol in 1975
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    The BHP was the best high capacity combat pistol of it's time.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have to agree, the BHP was probably the best 9mm combat pistol made unit the early 1980's, and it's still a fine choice today.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Semper Fi

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I bought one in 1978 and it is still my favorite shooting 9mm of all time...I carried a 92F on duty for 15 years and now carry a P2000 but if the Hi-Power was authorized, it would be in my duty holster.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

It was probably the best minor caliber then and may still be.

jyo
    YES, it was and STILL on of the best!
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's there were several guys that carried the BHP off duty,I remember buying my first model 39 and 59 in the early 80's,the single stack 39 concealed really well off duty,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    I think it was; to this day I am not sure why it is not regarded much higher than the 1911, IMO it is a far better platform out of those two JMB designs the HP is several classes ahead of the 1911 I think, yet in America the 1911 seems to have a much higher following???
    I believe that in the USA the 1911 is valued over the BHP for several reasons:

1. The tradition of US military use of the 1911 gives it great appeal to Americans.
    2. The .45 caliber ammo of the 1911 is much larger than the 9mm of the BHP, and in America bigger is always better - that is our personality.
    3. The trigger feel of the 1911 is superior to the BHP.

I guess I am typical, having about ten 1911s and no BHPs. I'd much rather have a 9mm Sig than a BHP.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links