Did you realize, the more you shoot, the worse you shoot? - Page 3

Did you realize, the more you shoot, the worse you shoot?

This is a discussion on Did you realize, the more you shoot, the worse you shoot? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some clarifications. First and foremost this is not about practice sessions, it is about the number of shots fired at a target. Second, it has ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Did you realize, the more you shoot, the worse you shoot?

Senior Moderator
    Some clarifications. First and foremost this is not about practice sessions, it is about the number of shots fired at a target.

Second, it has little to do with the gun, the accuarcy of the gun should be a constant.

Third, it is not necessarily about fatigue, but certainly that could be a factor.

Fouth, statistical prediction is based on trials of past performances.

This is pretty similar to a basketball player shooting free throws so here's an example of that. A player has an established record of being an 85% freethrow shooter. That means every freethrow he attempts he has an 85% chance of making it. So let's suppose he's fouled and gets two freethrows. What's the probability that he'll make them both. We can use a Probability Distribution table to solve this. From the table, 2 shots in 2 tries with a probability of 85% gives us 72.3%. What's interesting to me is if he's fouled in the process of shooting a 3 point shot. He has 3 tries to make three shots. Again with the same 85% probability, he has a 61.4% probability of making all three shots. He's getting kinda short changed on the three shot foul.

OK, let's go to shooting. First via past trials we have to establish a probability of getting a hit. Let's say the probability of getting a hit in a prescribed area of the target is 95%. What is the probability of getting 2 hits out of 2 tries. In the probability distrubution table, I look for 2 tries and 2 successes with an independent chance of success of 95%. From the table I get 90.2%

So how about 3 for 3 - 85.7%

4 for 4 ----- 81.5%
    5 for 5 ----- 77.4%
    10 for 10 -- 59.9%
    20 for 20 -- 35.8%

And that's as far as my table goes.

So you can see this is base on our past performance and we have to have an meaninfgul probability of success number. I bet none of us have that. But unless you can hit within a prescribed area on a target 100% of the time, you will shoot poorer the more you shoot and it doesn't have to be a lot of shots. Look what the probability is for a 95% shooter is for 20 shots.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I guess I'm in the minority. As I shoot, my groups typically improve. As I finish one string, I pull the target in for a closer inspection. I imagine what I did to explain the results on the paper and adjust the technique as necessary. As the results improve, the frequency of pulling the target in for inspection decreases. Usually my groups and time improve as I remind myself of the basics that in my excitement to shoot I frequently overlook.

I also only put five rounds in the mag at a time for strings, and practice timed combat shooting at 7 yards. Every five rounds, I pause and reflect, but often I will shoot over a hundred rounds before I pack it in.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Indeeed.

Somtimes when i go to the range and i've got plenty of time i'll load only load 2-5 rounds in my mags. This helps me focus on the group/shot placement. When i go fully loaded i tend to waste more ammo.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i play video games so my fingers are in excellent shape and do not get tired after an hour and a half of shooting, your argument is invalid sir.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

my 0.02. Fatigue and eventual anticipation of the shot probably play a big role in it.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    my 0.02. Fatigue and eventual anticipation of the shot probably play a big role in it.
    This is a point missed by several. If you look at the table in the OP, you'll see that 3 shots produce a bigger group than 2 shots. 4 shots produce a bigger group than 3 shots. This is not the affect of fatigue.

As for anticipation, that's factored in. If a shooter, say in a Bullseye competition has established record of hitting 95% of his shots over the years. All the pressure, all the fatigue, all the whatever is reflected in that average.

I think we've gotten the impression that we need to shoot large numbers of rounds for our groups to spread and then at that magic round count our group size suddenly gets larger. Again looking at the test results in the table, the group size increases dramatically within the first 20 shots. After 20 shots the group size increase is much slower. If fact the group size doubles from two shots to ten shots. It doesn't double again from 10 to 100 shots.

So the most change occurs within the first 20 shots.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've said a million times here that 30 minutes and 20 shots is much better time spent than an hour and 200 shots. I know that is not exactly what we are talking about here, but the more time you sit behind the barrel in one setting, the more fatigue sets in and the more prone you are to rushing the shot.
    Thats why i shoot no more than 50-100 shots at one range setting...100 is a LOT for me at one time, but usually 50-75 max.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I had my 20" ss match bbl AR at the range Sunday,hadn't shot it in awhile,I was shooting reloads 21.5 grns H322 55 grn bullet,first five shots were a little high and left I had 4 shots in a jagged line that looked like 3 and 1 about 1/2" right,as my barrel started heating up my pattern opened up a little,my buddy had a box of old winchester 55 grn so I loaded up 20 rounds and fired at different numbers on the target,the winchester really opened my groups up,buddy yells hey I got somea this crap and tossed me a box of wolf black box 55grn,I thought I bet my groups really open up,fired 5 rounds and pulled the target in,all 5 shots were touching
    1/2" group,best group of the whole day,I probably shot about 100 rounds of fun.Then switched to pistol
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I think it's because the barrel gets hot and is less accurate. I know this is the case with a rifle, not so sure about pistols - but makes sense.

Senior Moderator
    Guys it's got little to do with guns getting dirty, barrels heating, etc.. Look at the data! The largest increase in the group size is between 2 and 3 shots. This is about a statistical effect that applies to throwing darts, they don't heat up but they adhere to the very same statistical analysis; shooting foul shots, shooting a bow and arrow, pitching a baseball, etc. The spread occurs because of statisitcal variation that is captured by a probability factor. When a B-Ball player is said to have an 80% free throw shooting average, it means he's hit 80% of his free throws, but it doesn't mean he's got an 80% chance of making two free throws out of two tries, he only has a 64% probablilty of that.

Senior Moderator
    We should consider this preliminary, but yet significant. These aren't my best, but I find I have good days and not as good. I shot the targets in the order shown below.

Group size was determined with circle template by finding the smallest circle that all shots would fit in. Then, because circle templates allow for pencil lead thicknes, I measured the circle with my digital calipers. and then subtracted the diameter of the bullet to get the center to center. The group sizes are on the pics. These were shot with a P250 fs with small frame.

I had to make the pics a bit big to see the text in the pic better. I just realized the date on my camera is off by two days. These were shot today 15-Mar-2011.

Target #1 - 3 shots:

Target #2 - 3 shots:

Target #3 - 3 shots

Target #4 - 9 shots

More trials comin' up.

So, let me pose a hypothetical..

Let's assume a rifle not a handgun.
    Let's assume a completely mechanical set up, trigger pull is mechanical, too.
    Let's assume a MOA accuracy.

Once sighted, would the shooting deteriorate over shots fired? Statistically speaking?

Just a question...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    So, let me pose a hypothetical..

Let's assume a rifle not a handgun.
    Let's assume a completely mechanical set up, trigger pull is mechanical, too.
    Let's assume a MOA accuracy.

Once sighted, would the shooting deteriorate over shots fired? Statistically speaking?

Just a question...
    I believe you can answer that. Here's the setup: exactly the way you said. The test is setup with the target 500 yds away in a shelter that protects the entire test from drafts.

One shot is fired from the setup and the shot placement is recorded. Do you think the next shot fired will be in the very same hole, exactly?

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I ran across this on Wikipedia (therefore you are apprised). It seems that the more shots fired, the larger the group grows. That sounds kind of counter-intuitive to me, but here is a table listing the number of shots fired vs group size. All fired from a MOA accuracy gun.

No of shots.....Group Size(′/MOA)

I guess the lesson here is if you do get that great, impressive first shot, or 2 shot group, stop shooting, it's just going to get worse.
    Without seeing the article or the way the data was collected, I would say that it is merely showing the the small number of shots would be overstating the accuracy due to a sample size that is too small. Plus, I would like to see the conditions in which the gun was shot. Was the barrell cleaned after every shot, every ten shots.... ? How did they compesate for barrell fouling? Also, how much time in between shots? Barrell heat will affect accuracy. The barrell is going to be cooler on the first shot. It would be very hard and time consuming to cool it down to the same temperature as the first shot for every subsequent shot. The type of statistical analysis will have an effect also. Were outliers thrown out? As the sample size increased, the chance for an outlier also increases.

This thread has helped my ego. I now know it's not me, it's the statistics! Gotta love that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links