1911's are like Red Heads - Page 2

1911's are like Red Heads

This is a discussion on 1911's are like Red Heads within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Doodle So, I know this is going to start a firestorm...but frankly in my 31 years if there's one thing I've learned ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 1911's are like Red Heads

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    So, I know this is going to start a firestorm...but frankly in my 31 years if there's one thing I've learned about 1911's is that they are without question the most beautifull class of handgun, but are tempermental by nature to the point of extreem annoyance. I've owned 3 1911's in my lifetime and now I am a die hard fan of my Sig p220 SAO. It does every thing the 1911 does but better except the pretty thing. I like to think of my sig as my more even tempered cute brunette. Like red heads I've sworn off 1911's. To trust one to run with your life, you better have spent the better part of 2 grand. The worst of the 3 was a SA "loaded model." What a load of crap...I spent $900 on a beautiful 1911, get it home and take it apart only to discover it's full of tool marks, then I notice it's an embel frame made in brazil! A $900 sig would never let you down. You know what they say, 1911's have been keeping gunsmiths in business since...1911. thoughts?
    How dare you.You have broken the three cardinal rules here.

1. Question the almighty 1911.
    2. Speak highly of Sigs.
    3. Not mention glock in your post.
    W9HDG likes this.

ok that's funny

I own six 1911's. Five Colts and a Dan Wesson CCO. I trust them all 100%. They are all exquisite examples of reliability and beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post

2. Speak highly of Sigs.
    Ready for it...the wind up...and the pitch...GLOCKS are UGLLYYYYY and I will not own an ugly gun
    W9HDG likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post

2. Speak highly of Sigs.
    You are 100% correct! Feel free to replace the Glock reference with an M&P. As far as 1911's are concerned, mine are more reliable then my last Sig SOUR P250.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    I own six 1911's. Five Colts and a Dan Wesson CCO. I trust them all 100%. They are all exquisite examples of reliability and beauty.
    any of em require gunsmithin'?

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    You are 100% correct! Feel free to replace the Glock reference with an M&P. As far as 1911's are concerned, mine are more reliable then my last Sig SOUR P250.
    I choose to handily omit the P250 from my discussion
    The M&P is a fine and respectable weapon that can be trusted to run out of the box for about 500 bucks cant complain about that
    Last edited by JD; March 14th, 2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: merged posts

I want one I want one I love redheads, specially pretty ones. The cheaper the better.
    Nothing against Glocks functionally but if i can't make her look good after 6 beers i ain't taking her home. A man has to have his standards!
    W9HDG likes this.
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by jbr View Post
    I want one I want one I love redheads, specially pretty ones. The cheaper the better.
    Nothing against Glocks functionally but if i can't make her look good after 6 beers i ain't taking her home. A man has to have his standards!
    hear hear sir!

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    amen JBR, amen.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    any of em require gunsmithin'?
    Only the one Colt that I bought used. The previous owner tried to "personalize" it. I had it returned to factory condition. Runs great like it was intended to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    Only the one Colt that I bought used. The previous owner tried to "personalize" it. I had it returned to factory condition. Runs great like it was intended to.
    you got lucky kidding of course I have plenty of respect for a 1911 with a rampant colt on the side

Products & Services

I fall in love all over again when I look upon her
    Last edited by JD; March 15th, 2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: merged posts

VIP Member
    I have a thing for read heads (and Blondes and Brunettes and...)
    I havent heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

I had feed issues with my RIA - it would mis-feed about 60% of the time. I had to send it back to the factory for adjustments. In discussions regarding this on the 1911 forum, other members were quick to point out a number of things to me:

1. Unless you move up to something in the Wilson category of 1911's, you are getting an assembly line pistol - probably not assembled by craftsmen.
    2. You shouldn't expect them to work out of the box - they require "tuning"
    3. They require constant "tuning" to keep them going. You better know how to work on them.
    4. If you have problems with 1, 2, or 3 above - you shouldn't own a 1911.

So - I do still own my 1911 - it seems to be working fine since I got it back, but I have no confidence in it as a carry weapon - don't know if I ever will.

I bought a Sig 226 to carry - I have run thousands of .357 and .22 rounds through it without a problem.

I guess if you like redheads, you need a high treshold for maintenance - some folks thrive on it.

Come on; owning the 1911 is simple.

There are thousands of posts and tread with titles like “what magazine fixes the feed problem on my kimber carry?

How do I tune my ejection, or where can I get the feed polished etc… basically there are posts and fixes for the multitude of common 1911 problems so the truth is out there…

Then there are the thousands of posts talking about how great the customer service is from colt RIA etc… (I have posted praise of RIA customer service myself)

Ever wonder why they got so good at customer service; could be they have a lot of practice???

Really the 1911 is classic and fun to shoot but if you are going to carry one you should follow these rules:

1. Don’t
    2. Instead of a car get a Wilson
    3. Get anything else, then research the crap out of it to get the correct mags (the one that came with it will not be the one you need)
    4. Spend time learning what exact AMMO will not upset your 1911
    5. Send it back to the factory and post the praise you have for the customer service
    6. Put a 1911 Gun smith on a retainer
    7. Give up; get a Glock Browning HP, Sig etc……

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I like Red Heads
    Mine just needs to have hair, color isn't that important to me...

OP, FWIW, I'd take the P220 over just about any 1911 at any price point any day.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links