1911's are like Red Heads

This is a discussion on 1911's are like Red Heads within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I never met a redhead I didn't like. .....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 1911's are like Red Heads

los
    I never met a redhead I didn't like. ..
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

2. Remove Ads

A proper 1911, should be in my opinion, a mil spec that rattles when shaking it, fed ball ammo, and 5 inch 25 yard groups. I really like this set up. Killing folks in self defense should not require expensive, fancy tools.
    W9HDG likes this.

Glockman I agree with what you have said here. For me there is a lot of nostalgia with a 1911 - that's what we used in the navy and they would all rattle when we shook them. My fear is however, that if I carry my 1911, someone will kill me with an inexpensive weapon. The only round I am somewhat confident will fire is the first one, and that's because it is already in the chamber. The second one may or may not feed.

VIP Member
    I own both Sigs (P226 & 239 both .40 s&w) and 2 Springfield 1911 style pistols, both loadeds, one fullsize and the other a light weight champion, have had zero issues with the fullsize, and only issues with one type of defensive ammo in the lightweight. Have to say that I just don't agree with you about the 1911, especially the more I learn about the platform. Love my Sigs, but they aren't seeing as much range time anymore.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Shooter - love your avatar. Is that Teddy?

My comments on the 1911 are based on my personal experience along with observations on the various forums. I see feed problems everywhere. It could be I am more aware of them because of the problems I had. It's like when you buy a red car - suddenly you see them everywhere. Also, I'm not talking range time, but carry weapons. I take mine to the range once in a while also.

I'm not surprised you disagree - I'm sure others do as well. Avid 1911 owners are rabid when it comes to defending their weapon.

Bottom line, we all make our own decisions based on what we are comfortable with.

I'm reading this with some interest. I currenlty own a G22 and am thinking of purchasing a 1911. My G22 has been flawless. I love to the beauty of the 1911, but beauty is not as important as reliability. The 1911 has a huge following (and that can't be for nothing). Perhaps I'll hang onto my G22 and just use the 1911 for the range.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

I love my redheaded wife! Was she perfect out of the box? No. Does she require a bit of fluffing and buffing? Yes. With some looking after she is completely reliable. She occasionally has a hitch in her giddyup, but that is just a sign that she needs some attention from me. I like to carry her with me wherever I go. She comforts me. She will be by my side for a very long time.

Sounds a lot like my 1911's!!!!
    Beans and W9HDG like this.
    FW21

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cptsdr View Post
    I love my redheaded wife! Was she perfect out of the box? No. Does she require a bit of fluffing and buffing? Yes. With some looking after she is completely reliable. She occasionally has a hitch in her giddyup, but that is just a sign that she needs some attention from me. I like to carry her with me wherever I go. She comforts me. She will be by my side for a very long time.

Sounds a lot like my 1911's!!!!
    Sounds like she reads what you post on here! J/K hahaha
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Maybe thats my problem! I've been married to 2 Red heads and both are tempermental. One was worthless an refused to do the right thing and the 2nd is pefect, and we've been together 20 years!

Much like my Red Head relationships, I've had 2 1911's. The first was worthless and wouldn't do the right thing! I got rid of it too...my Charles Daly I have now is perfect. Runs like a sewing machine and the only issues I've had were Magazine related and corrected quick, fast and in a hurry! Maybe its the Jarhead in me but the only thing that feels better in my hand than a 1911 ...is a Red Head!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

If you are looking for a beautiful weapon that is also reliable, go for the Browning Hipower - in either the 9mm or .40 S&W. That's probably a personal thing also, but in my book you can't beat Brownings (handguns or longguns) for beauty.

I married a red head, and my first gun was a Springfield loaded 1911.

Both require maintenance.

Both completely satisfy.... nuff said.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Quote Originally Posted by Donnasea View Post
    If you are looking for a beautiful weapon that is also reliable, go for the Browning Hipower - in either the 9mm or .40 S&W. That's probably a personal thing also, but in my book you can't beat Brownings (handguns or longguns) for beauty.
    Out of the two JMB revolutionary designs I have never understood why the HP was not the one with the biggest following???? Perhaps it did not spark and intire industry to keep fixing it?

Red heads are mysterious, not a lot around. Now blondes are everywhere. I would think a 1911 could be a blonde. Some are hot, some are wild and sexy looking. Others can be a pain in the ass, high maintenance, and simply confusing to understand. That could be the assortment of 1911's. I think the red head should be custom made guns. Lots of TLC in the making, tight tolerances, slim lines, sexy looking and function well. But, that's me.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

You know, for a gun that has gone thorugh world wars, Korea and Viet Nam, it seems to work pretty well as a combat arm. I have a few 1911s. I probably have 8,000 rounds out of my Colt Gold Cup, and now, probably 400 rounds out of my new Colt Defender. Just this last week-end, I had to do a live fire qualificatiion shoot, and although I could have used any handgun I wanted, and I have several inlcuding wheel guns, I chose to qualify with the Gold Cup. Yes, I did clean it before the shoot. As for the Colt Defender, it is as comfortabhle to me as an old pair of shoes, and so far has eaten everything I have put down its throat, including steel cased ammo. Not that I know from experience, but I would bet the average 1911 is a lot more reliable, and a hell of a lot cheaper to maintain than the average red head.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Dated a red head once, but that's another story .....

As for the 1911, here's something I've observed, and this is just my own observation: the older, beat-up ones seem to be the most reliable.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links