1911's are like Red Heads - Page 4

1911's are like Red Heads

This is a discussion on 1911's are like Red Heads within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gaius You know, for a gun that has gone thorugh world wars, Korea and Viet Nam, it seems to work pretty well ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 1911's are like Red Heads

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    You know, for a gun that has gone thorugh world wars, Korea and Viet Nam, it seems to work pretty well as a combat arm. I have a few 1911s. I probably have 8,000 rounds out of my Colt Gold Cup, and now, probably 400 rounds out of my new Colt Defender. Just this last week-end, I had to do a live fire qualificatiion shoot, and although I could have used any handgun I wanted, and I have several inlcuding wheel guns, I chose to qualify with the Gold Cup. Yes, I did clean it before the shoot. As for the Colt Defender, it is as comfortabhle to me as an old pair of shoes, and so far has eaten everything I have put down its throat, including steel cased ammo. Not that I know from experience, but I would bet the average 1911 is a lot more reliable, and a hell of a lot cheaper to maintain than the average red head.
    You are correct about the history, in fact the army starting using them during the Philippine insurrection post the Spanish American war, and in to the world wars etc.. they also used wire fed telegraph machines hot air balloons for recon, horse drawn buggies for ammo supply lines etc… they all worked too.

The history of the 1911 is unquestionable it heritage is undeniable, and its place in firearm history is more than established.

In the world of today with the options for fighting and defensive handguns based on a probability rate of out of the box reliability IMO the platform falls drastically short of the warm fuzzy a ugly Glock gives me.

Tempermental 1911s?
    Shhssh, do not tell my 1911! It has been anything but!
    MEMOR ET FIDELIS

Here's the big difference between my 1911 and my wife. I have figured out my 1911!!
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

testa rossa...

...is the Italian term for red head....and used by Ferrari for a somewhat interesting design. My Kimber Ultra Raptor II is a thing of beauty, tight groups, and is easy to carry. I'm told FTF issues are from limp wrists, but I'm sure there are some temperamental red heads out there. But worth the maintenance.

I've fired close to 20k rounds through my main 1911A1 with the only malfunction being a separated case head from a bad handload. My Springfield Micro Compact had a single failure to feed as the result of a full size magazine that didn't really fit that well, no problem with the proper length magazines. Probably have 2k fired through the little one.

Overall a lot less temperamental than any read head I've ever dated.

A beautiul redhead is a sight to behold. Strawberry blonds also slide into that category.

I ran Colt 1911's from 1961 until 1985, from 1986-2006 I ran mostly Glocks, 2006 until now I am running Glocks and 1911's. Glocks for IDPA and 1911 for SD.

In 2004 I purchased a NIB RIA GM for $199.00, changed the sights to King's hardball sight and never looked back. NO FTF, FTE, Nothing it just ran and ran and ran. Accuracy was acceptable. Just recently I traded the RIA in on a used ( like new) Kimber Gold Combat stainless, good trade.

If things got really bad I would grab my Glock and my AK47 as both run very well without much maintenance. When it comes to target shooting I am using the Kimber Gold Combat It shoots on par with my friend's Wilson and Les Baer. We compared and measured the test targets provide with both guns ( Wilson and Baer) against the groups I shot with the Kimber;
    same size 5 rd group, sandbag rest 15 yards.

FWIW I got the Kimber from the same friend.

IMHO: When guns come off an assembly line you can get, once in a while, an exceptionally accurate weapon, you can also get a marginal accurate weapon with the majority somewhere in between.
    So my belief is that when you find one of those exceptionally accurate weapons you do what it takes ( Legally) to obtain it. So it is with my Kimber Gold Combat Stainless II.

Redheads and 1911's both look good in Black leather...

Quote Originally Posted by cmycek View Post
    ...is the Italian term for red head....and used by Ferrari for a somewhat interesting design. My Kimber Ultra Raptor II is a thing of beauty, tight groups, and is easy to carry. I'm told FTF issues are from limp wrists, but I'm sure there are some temperamental red heads out there. But worth the maintenance.
    ummm testa rossa means red horse sooo what are ya trying to say?

I love my read head.....and my 1911.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    ummm testa rossa means red horse sooo what are ya trying to say?
    It means "red head."
    Italian Translation
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

My wife is a red head and my everyday carry is a 1911 and there ARE some amazing similarities. They are both compact models of classic design and tend to attract admirers where ever they are seen. Both of them require proper attention and maintenance in order to achieve the desired end result. And last but not least.... they are both keepers.

I have never had a problem with my Colt 1911's. But as a carry gun they just got to heavy as I have aged. The Sig on the other hand are fine carry guns. But I like my Sigs in SA/DA not in SAO.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I am a redhead and I resent being compared to a 1911.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    The worst of the 3 was a SA "loaded model." What a load of crap...I spent $900 on a beautiful 1911, get it home and take it apart only to discover it's full of tool marks, then I notice it's an embel frame made in brazil! A $900 sig would never let you down.

Do you have a photo of these tool marks? Did they really look that bad?

Anyone else have a SA Loaded that they can photograph to illustrate the poor quality of the finish inside the frames?? Are the SA Loaded pistols generally known for this?

This would be interesting to view.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Before that day I did not know that honestly but knowledge is 90% past mistakes...was pretty dumb of me not to notice made in brazil on the frame in the gun store.
    I always breakdown semiauto handguns and inspect the slide and frame when I buy them. Sort of like looking under the hood of a car. If the dealer refuses, I simply don't buy. If they resist, I tell them that I will buy the gun if it checks out OK, which generally removes any reservations that they have.

Otherwise, I can always point out to them that I can buy the same gun on gunbroker.com from another dealer for less, and can get a 3 day inspection period, during which I can return the gun for my money if the gun has issues.

I've generally learned that it is good to be a demanding shopper, and be picky up front at the beginning when buying anything, not just guns.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links