1911's are like Red Heads - Page 5

1911's are like Red Heads

This is a discussion on 1911's are like Red Heads within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like my brunette with red highlights. Easy keeper, little firey when need be and totally reliable and she's the redheads younger cousin. Attachment 23760 ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 1911's are like Red Heads

Cool

I like my brunette with red highlights. Easy keeper, little firey when need be and totally reliable and she's the redheads younger cousin.

Attachment 23760

Click to enlarge photo.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Do you have a photo of these tool marks? Did they really look that bad?

Anyone else have a SA Loaded that they can photograph to illustrate the poor quality of the finish inside the frames?? Are the SA Loaded pistols generally known for this?

This would be interesting to view.

No, it's not the norm, I have an older loaded and I don't know how many I've had in my hands and taken apart, probably close to two dozen.

Slandering a whole genre of pistols based on a singular experience is asinine, and then to state "$900 Sig blah, blah, blah..." Let me tell you about MY recent experiences with Sig and my guns THREE trips back to NH.

Now, some makers are known for higher levels of lemons and bad service, but SA isn't one of them.

I don't run around saying that Glocks are crap because we had issues with our 4th Gen G19, I don't slander Sig over my P238 issues.

Half the statements in the initial post of this thread are ridiculous.

My $450 Loaded runs just as well as the Sig P220 SAO I had or my $3K Nighthawk so don't speak about this "You need to spend $2K for a 1911", that's a load of crap.

The OP didn't look in the gun he bought that had VISIBLE defects, and didn't even read the markings on the slide...there IS an issue here, but I don't think it's the gun that deserves the brunt of the blame...
    Last edited by JD; March 16th, 2011 at 02:52 PM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    No, it's not the norm, I have an older loaded and I don't know how many I've had in my hands and taken apart, probably close to two dozen.

Slandering a whole genre of pistols based on a singular experience is asinine, and then to state "$900 Sig blah, blah, blah..." Let me tell you about MY recent experiences with Sig and my guns THREE trips back to NH.

Now, some makers are known for higher levels of lemons and bad service, but SA isn't one of them.

I don't run around saying that Glocks are crap because we had issues with our 4th Gen G19, I don't slander Sig over my P238 issues.

My $450 Loaded runs just as well as the Sig P220 SAO I had or my $3K Nighthawk so don't speak about this "You need to spend $2K for a 1911", that's a load of crap.

The OP didn't look in the gun he bought that had VISIBLE defects, and didn't even read the markings on the slide...there IS an issue here, but I don't think it's the gun that deserves the brunt of the blame...
    JD,

You are so spot on it's ridiculous! I was going to post something very similar but didn't have the energy. Thank you! By the way (I am sitting here with my stainless steel Colt 1911 and loving every second of it!)
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

OD*
    The moderator's on this board are one heck of a lot more easy going than on many.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    That did seem a bit explosive and harsh..... Not uncommon here though I learned we can all disagree with each other but not the moderator's one of them will tell you how stupid you are for not agreeing with him; if that does not work he will close the thread....
    Actually the moderators are pretty cool on these boards. For example Tangle and I have disagreed in the past on firearm preferences and I will say that he has become someone I consider a good friend on this board. The point is you can disagree, but have some level logic and experience to back it up. I can assure you that JD does.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Tell me what you honestly think and not what you think I want to hear and I will respect you much more for it.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Doesn't SIG themselves make a highly regarded line of 1911 pistols? I've heard many people say good things about their 1911 handguns, and claim that they are an excellent value, with great quality.

Seems to me that this makes the OP's logic of having to get a SAO SIG P220 to get a well made and affordable single action .45 rather suspect. For SIG themselves make just such a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnasea View Post
    Well... Since I made the offending post let me say - I took no issue with the content of what was said and did not intend to question anyones expertise. I took issue with the manner in which the statements were presented. The comments were not directed at me, but I was offended none-the-less by the derogatory manner in which the other individual was addressed.

We don't talk to one another like that in our home or on the street - do we?
    No. Not but one time on the street. In all honesty I felt like it was a little harsh myself. I have been awarded infractions for flaming that I dont feel were any worse than that. But, when in someone elses house, you have to play by their rules. So, just take it on the chin and march on.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

Well said and I agree.

Hmm well I just got home from work and decided to log on and check my thread...since I am the "original poster," (a very impersonal title when your openly calling someone an idiot I might add) how should I appropriately respond. Well first off I would like to say that I did not mean to offend anyone or belittle your prized firearm. As a matter of fact I paid a little omage to a gentleman who has several colts, because I am rightfully a little envious. I would of course love to view/hold/apprecieate several pistols with such a deep heritage. I started this thread with an obviously humorous overtone i.e. the whole red heads thing. It seems the thread has seriously degenerated into some mud slinging the BRUNT of which is from a senior moderator. I honestly wanted nothing more than to open a thread that might make a couple of people chuckle and go no further than a gentle poke in the ribs. Can we bring it back to that level?

by the way I was ABSOLUTLY WRONG testarossa does mean red head...whoops!

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    ...I am a die hard fan of my Sig p220 SAO. It does every thing the 1911 does but better except the pretty thing.
    Why not split the difference, and get a Sig 1911?

Yes that is Teddy. And I am a recent 1911 convert, bought my first one last summer, and a 2nd one soon after, which is now my carry gun. I am not what I would call an avid 1911 fan, love my Sigs as much, and I use the P226 for IDPA, I also carry a smith model 66 from time to time, espeically in the summer. If after testing defensive ammo in my springer light weight champion I found it had issues it would not be on my hip, simple as that.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Yes that is Teddy. And I am a recent 1911 convert, bought my first one last summer, and a 2nd one soon after, which is now my carry gun. I am not what I would call an avid 1911 fan, love my Sigs as much, and I use the P226 for IDPA, I also carry a smith model 66 from time to time, espeically in the summer. If after testing defensive ammo in my springer light weight champion I found it had issues it would not be on my hip, simple as that.
    Teddy on your pic; I have a stereo view of that I also have one of him and the rough riders boarding a ship in Tampa before the famous charge up that infamous hill..

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Shooter - seems like we have similar taste in pistols. IMy Sig P226 is my primary carry weapon, but I also have a S&W model 66 that I carry once in a while. The S&W is easier to conceal, and it is quite the shooter. Only 6 rounds though vs. the 15 round magazine I have for my Sig..

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links