1911's are like Red Heads - Page 6

1911's are like Red Heads

This is a discussion on 1911's are like Red Heads within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Donnasea Hi Kerby Well... I'l admit it would have been nice to see an apology to the guy that got flamed... I'm ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 1911's are like Red Heads

Quote Originally Posted by Donnasea View Post
    Hi Kerby

Well... I'l admit it would have been nice to see an apology to the guy that got flamed... I'm thinking you are being a little facetious with your 1911 comment.
    I don't think it's gonna happen

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I think of them more as high maintenance blondes. Ya gotta work on them to keepin goin, but they are fun to tinker with.

^^^^^This almost sounds^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Naughty!!!!!

Never had a 1911, OR a redhead.
    Have thought about how much fun they would be though.

Q: What's the true definition of a blonde?
    A: Redhead with the fire of passion missing.
    Q: What is the difference between a redhead and a computer?
    A: Redhead won't accept a three and a half inch

Q: What do redheads and McDonald's have in common?
    A: You've never had it so good and so fast.

Q: What's safer: a redhead or a pirahna?
    A: The pirahna. They only attack in schools.

Q: How do you get a redhead to argue with you?
    A: Say something like "I'm one of those males who love redheads, great jokes."

Q: How do you get a redhead's mood to change?
    A: Wait 10 seconds

Q: Why aren't there any more redhead jokes?
    A: Someone told them to a redhead.

Q: What do you call a Redhead with an attitude?
    A: Normal

Q: What do you call a woman who knows where her husband is every night?
    A: A redhead!
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I've owned exactly one 1911, manufactured by Sig, and I've never had any real problems with it (I replaced the fixed sight, grips and had the trigger lightened by a professional gunsmith, but none of those were anything but personal choice). It has worked flawlessly with the supplied ACT/Novak mags and with Wilson aftermarket mags. I've run Blazer Aluminum cased rounds, handloads, cheap brass cased factory rounds all the way up to expensive JHP self defense rounds and never had a malf. I ran it dripping wet with lube and almost dry. Now the guys that mess with their guns tend to have problems. The same could be said of messing with women, except sometimes they mess with you.

Distinguished Member
    I should merge my "Cracks in the Kimber" thread with this.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    I should merge my "Cracks in the Kimber" thread with this.
    Kimber issues should not be equated to "1911 issues", Kimber definitely has some issues I'll be more than happy to attest to that but it's not a "1911 problem"

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    I've owned exactly one 1911, manufactured by Sig, and I've never had any real problems with it (I replaced the fixed sight, grips and had the trigger lightened by a professional gunsmith, but none of those were anything but personal choice). It has worked flawlessly with the supplied ACT/Novak mags and with Wilson aftermarket mags. I've run Blazer Aluminum cased rounds, handloads, cheap brass cased factory rounds all the way up to expensive JHP self defense rounds and never had a malf. I ran it dripping wet with lube and almost dry. Now the guys that mess with their guns tend to have problems. The same could be said of messing with women, except sometimes they mess with you.
    I suspect the magic word in your thread is "Sig".

OD*
    I would suspect the magic was the pistol being built to spec.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

A full sized 1911 built to mil specs, in my opinion , is the way to go. Of all(read many) 1911s I have had, the ones that gave me the most satisfaction were the plain jane Colts. They worked flawlessly with ball ammo, and were a joy to carry and shoot. A 1911 like this, factory integrity intact, and unalterd from it s original design, gives me as much confidence as my Glock.

These darn 1911 threads will make me buy another. And it will be a mil spec factory full sized Colt.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I would suspect the magic was the pistol being built to spec.
    Given Sig's early on problems with the GSR line I suspect you are correct...

And I'd like to correct an earlier statement, I've had 16 1911s, not 15. Of those the only ones that required gunsmith attention were 3 out of 4 Kimbers, and had I chosen to keep it, the one Llama that was a complete mistake bought in complete ignorance.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Given Sig's early on problems with the GSR line I suspect you are correct...

And I'd like to correct an earlier statement, I've had 16 1911s, not 15. Of those the only ones that required gunsmith attention were 3 out of 4 Kimbers, and had I chosen to keep it, the one Llama that was a complete mistake bought in complete ignorance.
    Boy they really did have a terrible time early on, didn't they?

16 is a good number, JD, it's how many I have currently.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

A proper 1911, should be in my opinion, a mil spec that rattles when shaking it, fed ball ammo, and 5 inch 25 yard groups. I really like this set up. Killing folks in self defense should not require expensive, fancy tools.
    This is what the 1911 was designed for and when people take something's orginal and start changing things. Tightening frame to slide and the list goes on and on Problems above the norm. in a guns Reliability are going to rise simply going above and beyond the JMB's design. Take a Mil-Spec 1911's and i bet their Reliability goes up. JMB he thought his BHP was his Best work design just before his passing. CZ's and BHP's are some of todays still prominent guns. My Gunsmith used to work on my 1911's and he and his Father said the same todays 1911's some go Beyond what can be expected for long term Reliability. I'm with G Man i would buy a Mil Spec and not look back. just one guys opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    You are correct about the history, in fact the army starting using them during the Philippine insurrection post the Spanish American war, and in to the world wars etc.. they also used wire fed telegraph machines hot air balloons for recon, horse drawn buggies for ammo supply lines etcÖ they all worked too.

The history of the 1911 is unquestionable it heritage is undeniable, and its place in firearm history is more than established.

In the world of today with the options for fighting and defensive handguns based on a probability rate of out of the box reliability IMO the platform falls drastically short of the warm fuzzy a ugly Glock gives me.
    If we could look at the ratio of guns not running out of the box. Based on how many guns bought vs. how many get returned for being defective i'm sure the numbers would be over whelming. MY Glocks, CZ's and HK's just may noy have the flash but they do a very good job of doing their intended use of keeping LEO's to civilians alive.

G man i think i will buy a Colt 1911 mil spec myself. thanks (even a gun has limitations)

A full sized 1911 built to mil specs, in my opinion , is the way to go. Of all(read many) 1911s I have had, the ones that gave me the most satisfaction were the plain jane Colts. They worked flawlessly with ball ammo, and were a joy to carry and shoot. A 1911 like this, factory integrity intact, and unalterd from it s original design, gives me as much confidence as my Glock.

These darn 1911 threads will make me buy another. And it will be a mil spec factory full sized Colt.
    Last edited by JD; March 20th, 2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: merged posts.

dee
    I agree completely its a Lack of Quality Control for the most part. Not a 1911 issue at all. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Kimber issues should not be equated to "1911 issues", Kimber definitely has some issues I'll be more than happy to attest to that but it's not a "1911 problem"

VIP Member
    Boy they really did have a terrible time early on, didn't they?

16 is a good number, JD, it's how many I have currently.
    OD,

how many of the 16 are ponies?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    OD,

how many of the 16 are ponies?

JD
    Administrator
    And how many of any of yours either the 13 Colts, 3 others, or in general have needed gunsmith attention?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links