1911's are like Red Heads

This is a discussion on 1911's are like Red Heads within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JD And how many of any of yours either the 13 Colts, 3 others, or in general have needed gunsmith attention? None ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 1911's are like Red Heads

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    And how many of any of yours either the 13 Colts, 3 others, or in general have needed gunsmith attention?
    None have needed a gunsmith, I had one Colt built during the strike years that needed the extractor tweaked, which I took care of. I had a lightweight Les Baer that was magazine and ammo sensitive, which I attribute to it's having an intrical feed ramp (I've not seen one work 100% of the time with the .45ACP, Super .38, 9mm, yes). Not a one needed a "break-in" period, including the super tight Les Baers and the Springfield Professional (mine is/was as tight as any of my Baers).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

Thoughts: The 1911 platform has proven itself in more real gun battles than all the rest, and on the battlefield where it really counts. Even Mr. Glock after all these years has not designed a better trigger than that found on a good 1911. Nor has anyone else, for that matter. The day someone does, is the day I predict the end of the 1911s dominance in the handgun world.

Facts: You got taken because you didn't know what you were buying. This happens often with folks who get into the custom 1911 game because they are drawn to eye candy (like redheads) instead of concentrating on what is under the hood and who built the motor. If you want a good custom 1911 that will never let you down, I have said in many posts here and elsewhere to find a master pistolsmith to do the work. If you don't then you more often than not suffer the consequences........
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Thoughts: The 1911 platform has proven itself in more real gun battles than all the rest, and on the battlefield where it really counts. Even Mr. Glock after all these years has not designed a better trigger than that found on a good 1911. Nor has anyone else, for that matter. The day someone does, is the day I predict the end of the 1911s dominance in the handgun world.

Facts: You got taken because you didn't know what you were buying. This happens often with folks who get into the custom 1911 game because they are drawn to eye candy (like redheads) instead of concentrating on what is under the hood and who built the motor. If you want a good custom 1911 that will never let you down, I have said in many posts here and elsewhere to find a master pistolsmith to do the work. If you don't then you more often than not suffer the consequences........
    Nice post. You hit the nail on the head about 1911 triggers as I have never seen a glock come close to a nice 1911 trigger. The only thing I have seen that rivals a good 1911 trigger is a nice revolver.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Regardless of the gun you choose, having the latest greatest, or the old standard, having it and knowing how to use it are two different things.

Have owned three 1911 models. A Delta Elite, an Officer's model and a compact Detonics. The Officer's and especially the Delta have had quite a bit of modifications, but they ran like a champ before I started changing things to fit me.

Very few rounds thru the Detonics and sold it last year, but she never malfunctioned in the little time out on the range. The Officer's has had some problems, but they have always been due to a magazine, (2 of those were Wilson Combat mags too, btw). The Delta has only ever had one problem, those dang tuncated nose bullets!! It will not run those things worth a crap!! Ball ammo and especially HP's it gobbles up like Rosey at the AUCE breakfast buffet.

Now my P229 runs everything I put in the pipe and honestly, has got my 1911's riding the pine. But part of that is due to the caliber of my Sig, too. The lovely .357Sig!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have a thing for read heads (and Blondes and Brunettes and...)
    So, Timmy, you like the intellectual ones?
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links