1911's are like Red Heads

This is a discussion on 1911's are like Red Heads within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I know this is going to start a firestorm...but frankly in my 31 years if there's one thing I've learned about 1911's is that ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 1911's are like Red Heads

So, I know this is going to start a firestorm...but frankly in my 31 years if there's one thing I've learned about 1911's is that they are without question the most beautifull class of handgun, but are tempermental by nature to the point of extreem annoyance. I've owned 3 1911's in my lifetime and now I am a die hard fan of my Sig p220 SAO. It does every thing the 1911 does but better except the pretty thing. I like to think of my sig as my more even tempered cute brunette. Like red heads I've sworn off 1911's. To trust one to run with your life, you better have spent the better part of 2 grand. The worst of the 3 was a SA "loaded model." What a load of crap...I spent $900 on a beautiful 1911, get it home and take it apart only to discover it's full of tool marks, then I notice it's an embel frame made in brazil! A $900 sig would never let you down. You know what they say, 1911's have been keeping gunsmiths in business since...1911. thoughts?

I like redheads. My last relationship was with a red-headed, Italian lady. When it comes to guns, however, I think SIG pistols are pretty.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    They are! Full of fire and fight! But once you get them figured out you may never be as satisfied! Oh and glocks are like my first wife cold, black, and from the dark side! LOL
    W9HDG likes this.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I think of them more as high maintenance blondes. Ya gotta work on them to keepin goin, but they are fun to tinker with.

I dunno, my Taurus set me back about $600 and it's been flawless.

It's very accurate, too. If there was a shot that I had to make, I'd take it with my PT1911.
    W9HDG likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'm not supprised that you have a $600 1911 that your happy with because there are alot of them and I'm sure there are exceptions to my statements but I have had bad luck. And even at $600 for a 1911, thats a made in brazil 1911 for the price of a great american made service gun, not quite sig sauer pricing btu you see my point, right? If it's a 1911 your going to pay more for the same quality/reliability factor.

JD
    Administrator
    Springfields have been made on Brazilian frames/slides since the mid-80s, what hole were you hiding in?

You're saying that you cannot get Sig reliability, in a 1911, for a comparable Sig price? I guess probably not.

But, you don't have every Tom, Dick and Harry manufacturing Sigs, either.

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I agree with you and I think the SIG SAO 220 is like a easier to take down 1911.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

I have a Springer...made in Brazil....a mil-spec...it has never filed me....not even once.
    The problem isn't the 1911 design, the problem is over-paying for one just because someone convinces you that by paying more you are getting more.
    If you want a 1911 to work, buy a 5" government model.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Springfields have been made on Brazilian frames/slides since the mid-80s, what hole were you hiding in?
    Before that day I did not know that honestly but knowledge is 90% past mistakes...was pretty dumb of me not to notice made in brazil on the frame in the gun store.

I like snubnosed .357 revolvers much for the same characteristics I appreciate in my wife (who is a 5 foot tall 100 lb brunette Italian woman): Short, small, reliable, dependable, and packs one heck of a wallop.

As far as 1911s my RIA has been flawless. Bought it used from a forum member and he had put 1,000 rounds through it. Got it, 6 mags, and a holster for $300 and haven't had any issues out of it at all.
    Last edited by JD; March 14th, 2011 at 11:43 PM. Reason: merged posts
    Beans likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I like Red Heads
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    I have a Springer...made in Brazil....a mil-spec...it has never filed me....not even once.
    The problem isn't the 1911 design, the problem is over-paying for one just because someone convinces you that by paying more you are getting more.
    If you want a 1911 to work, buy a 5" government model.
    I had multiple failures...went to wilson combat mags because the gun magically stopped feeding the last round of either of the factory mags after about 200 rounds. I also had many many many fail to extracts. Had a gun shop douchbag tell me I was limp wristing it. Oh it was hard to hold in the pride and not explode, but I've never had another gun act up as that gun did. I later took a dremel with a polishing wheel to all the matte stainless sections (it was a stainless model) and found a 1/8" long crack on the right hand side of the slide hidden under the matte section.

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I like Red Heads
    Ever divorce one? 'E V I L'
    Last edited by JD; March 14th, 2011 at 11:43 PM. Reason: merged posts

My 1911 may be a red head, but your Sig; well... she's too fat for me

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links