Kimber Solo Carry....Range report

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo Carry....Range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just brought the Kimber Solo back from the range. Did the recommended break in and ran 24 rds of Hornady TAP JHP through it. Actually ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Kimber Solo Carry....Range report

Kimber Solo Carry....Range report

Just brought the Kimber Solo back from the range. Did the recommended break in and ran 24 rds of Hornady TAP JHP through it. Actually they recommend either the Hornady, Federal Hydra Shok JHP or Remington Golden Saber HPJ.

I then ran 29 Federal Hydra Shok JHP through it.

What a great experience over the last pocket carry that I functioned tested. The Sig P238 would FTE till I changed out the recoil spring. The Solo bad boy had zero FTE, zero FTF, zero problems. I also did double taps after running the 24 breakin rds through. It was a pleasure to fire. As for accuracy...more than I am...I don't have targets to post...I was shooting CD disk and some paste on targets, but will tell you this....I have some age on me and my hands are not as stable as they once were, but with a good shooter, you could hold the groups in a fifty cent piece at 10 yards easily.

Bottom line...I will carry this over my Robrbaugh R9, Kahr PM9, or Sig P238...the others are in no way slouches, however, this is a shootin machine. Try it....you'll love it. I am truly excited about this gun, as you can tell. One other thing, I found out that to load with 6+1 you need to let the slide go home by releasing the slide release as opposed to sling shoting it home. It's like the Kahr PM9 in that respect, but that's not a problem for me.

I also cranked off a mag in my Kimber 1911 3" that is suppose to be problem prone....it never got that memo.:):

surefire7 likes this.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

2. Remove Ads

GM
    Glad you like it. Enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Very nice and congrats! It's always great to hear about people having good first experiences with a new firearm. Best wishes and stay safe!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

How does it feel? does you little finger stay on the grip??? I would love a smaller pistol but I can never hit anything unless I have my normal grip (then I have trouble too haha)

What is with the low round count for break in? And you have odd numbers of JHP through it...29 & 24?

I don't get how you are doing those amounts? Is that your reliability testing, or just for POA/POI testing?

VIP Member
    Great range report... I'm definitely keeping an eye on reports about the LC9, it's high on my list...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Congrats on the Solo, I should be in the club in May ? Enjoy stay safe.

Thank you for the report!

These look to be promising guns I am glad it shot well I am still on the fence about this one.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    What is with the low round count for break in? And you have odd numbers of JHP through it...29 & 24?

I don't get how you are doing those amounts? Is that your reliability testing, or just for POA/POI testing?
    I think the OP did the standard break-in with ball ammo, then ran his different flavors of JHP through it.

24 rounds probably equals 4 mags full.

29 rounds? Maybe shooting from an open box.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post

Kimber....I don't know why....recommends "For standard initial break-in, fire 24 rounds of factory-loaded premium hollow-point self-defense ammunition with bullet weights of 124gr or 147 gr."

After I fired those....for function testing, I then had about 30 rds of "hydra shok that I fired. POA or POI...take your pick.

I fired no ball ammo....I think if it eats the JHPs it will eat the ball. Guess Kimber knows you're going to carry with JHP, so they wanna make certain there are no issues with those.
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    How does it feel? does you little finger stay on the grip??? I would love a smaller pistol but I can never hit anything unless I have my normal grip (then I have trouble too haha)
    It fits my hand like a glove...very thin. Also, it is a two finger grip with little finger under inserted mag, however, the recoil is light....lighter than the R9 and recoil is a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Thank you for the report!
    What he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the report, I've narrowed my search down to 3 and the solo is one of them.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

For those who are interested....Dave posted a great youtube vid that is a more complete report than mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links