Question regarding the P228

This is a discussion on Question regarding the P228 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at getting a used P228 and I was wondering if the P229 slide would fit it? I don't want to change the caliber, ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lyndo
  • 1 Post By SIXTO

Thread: Question regarding the P228

Question regarding the P228

I'm looking at getting a used P228 and I was wondering if the P229 slide would fit it? I don't want to change the caliber, but I'd like to know I can get a replacement in case the slide fails. I've heard that the stamped steel slides aren't as strong as the milled steel slides the P229 uses.

2. Remove Ads

I am not sure on the slide arrangement but I have seen M11s with crazy amounts of rounds shot through them. I am not thinking it is something you are going to have to worry about, the 229 was built for the .357 SIG and .40 cartridges the switch had nothing to do with the weapon being unsuitable for 9mm ammunition.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Administrator
    I can't think of any reason off the top of my head it would not fit. And you have no worries with the 228 slide, it will out last you.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    I'm looking at getting a used P228 and I was wondering if the P229 slide would fit it? I don't want to change the caliber, but I'd like to know I can get a replacement in case the slide fails. I've heard that the stamped steel slides aren't as strong as the milled steel slides the P229 uses.
    I've never heard of anyone trying it. I have thousands of rounds out of a P-226 and P-229. The older version slides are quite durable. I know a guy who put 80,000 rounds through his before it started to act up and SIG offered to replace it free.

The only thing you have to watch on the older slides is the drift pin holding the firing block. It is a double pin, one inside the other, and after a LOT of shooting the pin might start to back out. One tap of a brass punch and the pin was flush again. It hasn't moved since then about 10 years ago. I have read about the pin needing to be replaced but never saw it. A new pin costs a dollar or so and you can install it yourself in about a minute.

The older slide design of your P-228 will probably still be shooting for your grandkids.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

There is a reason the P228 is so sought after by many shooters. The slide is plenty storng enough for anything and everything you will do with it. The above poster is correct they only developed the 229 for .40 and .357 SIG. They are higher pressure rounds. After that it was obvious the 9mm would work in them and the 228 was kind of a waste business wise. I love my P228. I have to keep it hidden from my wife as she tends to want to steal it for her use. Great shooter.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The 228 will out last you and your grand kids. I wish I still had my 228.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Thanks for the info everyone. I figured it wouldn't be an issue, but it just kinda made me nervous buying a discontinued handgun that I may or may not be able to find parts for if Murphy reared his head.

Like many have said. It's more than durable. Mine has well over 15K rounds with no issues and no signed of wear other than cosmetic finish.
    Also, I would assume the slides are interchangeable since the .22 conversion kit I use on my P228 is made for the P229, and works fine.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone. I figured it wouldn't be an issue, but it just kinda made me nervous buying a discontinued handgun that I may or may not be able to find parts for if Murphy reared his head.
    There are plenty of parts available, as most everything is interchangable with the 229. The 228 is still made in limited quanities. Don't worry about that, just get yourself a 228 and enjoy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Since you are only looking and don't own one yet, wouldn't it make sense to get the P229? Doing it the other way requires buying two guns since you almost never see just the slide for sale
    Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

I saw a good deal on a 228, but someone bought it. That's why I was considering it.

Links