Defensive Carry banner

A nice, cheap, reliable pistol

26K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  sniper58 
#1 ·
Hey, I've been looking for a pistol and I have found a few that interested me but I was hoping you guys could help me out a little bit cuz you all seem like you might know a thing or two. I'm looking for a .45 and just about any style is up for consideration, I'll know whether I like it or not once I see it so if you have one in mind just post it. My price range is ~$350 or so. Thanks to any and all of you that give me any ideas. Links aren't required but would be nice, thanks alot.

#4 ·
#8 ·
Standin' on the Rock

+1000 on the Rock Island.
My compact model is a few years, and a couple 1000 rounds, old now without a single failure I can think of, Under 400.00 then and about the same price now. I added a full size as well and have had no issues with it either.

#9 ·
Cheap & Reliable - remember the old saying, you get what you pay for. Yep, I know that there are instances where that is not the case, but...............
If you save a little more, you can probably find a used Glock, M&P, or XD in .45 for around $400-450. I would consider all three of these pistols, reliable.

Good luck with your search.

#10 ·
+1. I would look thru some of the forum and auction sites (and your local gun and pawn shops) for a used Glock, etc. If you are patient, you can probably find something decent in your range. Plan B, save a few more dollars to expand your options.

#12 ·
I would try to save a little to buy a used Glock 21/30/36 or a Smith & Wesson M&P 45. Go browse at Gun Broker and try to find something that fits your budget. There are some great deals to be found there!

But if that is not the case due to budget limitations, then I recommend you take a look at the Bersa Thunder Pro UC45. Bersa is an Argentinean Firearms Brand that makes very good and cheap firearms.

#14 ·
As long as you are not going to be carrying it, i recommend a high point 45 acp... rougly $165 through any retailer. Shoots well, is accurate, reliable, but is heavy as a brick. A good range gun, or a gun for beside the bed or truck. Just my opinion. I do have one and love to shoot it. Bunker

#19 ·
Right now the pistols that interest me the most are the RIA .45 and the Bersa Thunder .45 Ultra Compact Pro. But does anyone have any info on extended magazines for these two guns? And is it easy to find new grips for the RIA if I ever wanted to switch them?

#21 ·
1911 style guns like the RIA have a 7+1 capacity you can purchase 10 round mags but they will stick out the bottom of the gun as they are single stack magazines. The RIA has millions of grip options, if you get a compact the "officer" size grips fit and a full size RIA will fit any 1911 government grips. Don't own a Bersa but I believe they come with a 13 round mag. If you want the high capacity mags just for the range you can get something ridiculous like this for any 1911 http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?PID=82121&w=PQ+JDyOLrQE= 15 rounds.

#22 ·
The Bersa Thunder .45 Ultra Compact Pro comes with a 7rd magazine. This seems like a very practical gun, especially for CCW. But I couldn't find any extended magazines. I realize they will hang out the bottom of the gun which doesn't really bother me as long as it isn't like 4in haha.

#24 ·
Be careful with the extended mags,I haven't heard anything really positive about 10 round mags,I have heard about numerous feeding issues that you do not want in a weapon you are trusting your life with,In My Commander I carry wilson 47D 8 rounders,and in my RIA compact I carry 7 rounders,If I need more I'll carry more mags,or a different weapon

#25 ·
If you like the 1911 style, that Rock Island sounds good. A $30 Dyer Group gripper/full-length guide rod probably would make it a lot more accurate and tighten up the groups & I'd add a Wilson spring & shock buff kit. I personally would probably look at a Ruger P90 also. It was stated that the gun will shoot 1" groups right out of the box. Magazines are still available at reasonable prices. Maybe a used P345 would be nice for "more" concealed carry though.

#26 ·
cheap and reliable is what the Ruger P-series pistols are known for. The P345 has been mentioned by a couple people already. I own one and it works great, just take out the dang magazine disconnect crap and you're good to go. Dad has the P-90 or p97 can never remember which also cheap and reliable. You could probably fine either one of those on sale new for under $400 fairly easily I think.

Used for under $400 might be able to find a glock, xd, m&p? Not really good with prices anymore but since they run $500-$600 new I believe should be able to pick one up around $400.

#28 ·
I'd go RIA 1911 but that's just me.

This is where I have found the best price at

http://www.sarcoinc.com/2-10-09 P.pdf

I've never used Sarco nor am I affiliated with them? Maybe someone else here has that can chime in? If not go through Bellshire on GB. Nothing but positive things to say about them.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.:smile:

#30 ·
RIA is very nice .45 the money is just a bonus for extra ammo, holster. The one in the pics is a very reliable gun. I know a guy who bought the same gun and now carries it daily.

#31 ·
gunsmoke, the RIA 1911's come stock with a full length guide rod, i pulled mine and put in a standard so it didn't stick out the end just because I like the classic look better

#32 ·
I'll add another vote for RIA. I own two and am impressed with both. The most advantageous upgrades on the Gov't RIA is a heavier recoil spring and a national match bushing. The former is for better control and the latter tightened up my groups to 2" at 25 yards off of sand bags with Winchester White Box. I've got other mods, but none had immediate impact like these two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.