A nice, cheap, reliable pistol

This is a discussion on A nice, cheap, reliable pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Bersa is a fine gun. I have one in 9mm and after a short break in and a little polishing it runs silky smooth. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A nice, cheap, reliable pistol

gig
    The Bersa is a fine gun. I have one in 9mm and after a short break in and a little polishing it runs silky smooth.
    A little over 500 rds and not one hiccup of any kind. Buddy has the 45 and says the same.

2. Remove Ads

I'll do +2000 for the rock island compact, over 1000 rounds trouble free through mine I have 1911's 3x the price and carry a rock daily.

Last edited by LoadedPipes; March 16th, 2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: added eye candy

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Did anyone say RIA yet??? LOL you can't beat the Rock Island for the under $400 .45ACP It is a purchase that you will never regret.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Right now the pistols that interest me the most are the RIA .45 and the Bersa Thunder .45 Ultra Compact Pro. But does anyone have any info on extended magazines for these two guns? And is it easy to find new grips for the RIA if I ever wanted to switch them?
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

Taurus Millennium Pro PT745 or their 24/7 blued. Both are around $365. The Mil Pro is more of a CCW, the 24/7 is larger and more of a duty carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick46590 View Post
    Right now the pistols that interest me the most are the RIA .45 and the Bersa Thunder .45 Ultra Compact Pro. But does anyone have any info on extended magazines for these two guns? And is it easy to find new grips for the RIA if I ever wanted to switch them?
    1911 style guns like the RIA have a 7+1 capacity you can purchase 10 round mags but they will stick out the bottom of the gun as they are single stack magazines. The RIA has millions of grip options, if you get a compact the "officer" size grips fit and a full size RIA will fit any 1911 government grips. Don't own a Bersa but I believe they come with a 13 round mag. If you want the high capacity mags just for the range you can get something ridiculous like this for any 1911 http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/...%2BJDyOLrQE%3D 15 rounds.

The Bersa Thunder .45 Ultra Compact Pro comes with a 7rd magazine. This seems like a very practical gun, especially for CCW. But I couldn't find any extended magazines. I realize they will hang out the bottom of the gun which doesn't really bother me as long as it isn't like 4in haha.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

I have a PT111(9mm) that has 3500+ rounds threw it, with one fail to eject. The only failure was after ~400 rounds of wolf ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by ejes View Post
    Taurus Millennium Pro PT745 or their 24/7 blued. Both are around $365. The Mil Pro is more of a CCW, the 24/7 is larger and more of a duty carry.

Be careful with the extended mags,I haven't heard anything really positive about 10 round mags,I have heard about numerous feeding issues that you do not want in a weapon you are trusting your life with,In My Commander I carry wilson 47D 8 rounders,and in my RIA compact I carry 7 rounders,If I need more I'll carry more mags,or a different weapon
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If you like the 1911 style, that Rock Island sounds good. A $30 Dyer Group gripper/full-length guide rod probably would make it a lot more accurate and tighten up the groups & I'd add a Wilson spring & shock buff kit. I personally would probably look at a Ruger P90 also. It was stated that the gun will shoot 1" groups right out of the box. Magazines are still available at reasonable prices. Maybe a used P345 would be nice for "more" concealed carry though.

cheap and reliable is what the Ruger P-series pistols are known for. The P345 has been mentioned by a couple people already. I own one and it works great, just take out the dang magazine disconnect crap and you're good to go. Dad has the P-90 or p97 can never remember which also cheap and reliable. You could probably fine either one of those on sale new for under $400 fairly easily I think.

Used for under $400 might be able to find a glock, xd, m&p? Not really good with prices anymore but since they run $500-$600 new I believe should be able to pick one up around $400.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Try looking at Taurus 845, 12 cap, fullsize. I actually am thinking of getting one, and you can find them at Cheaperthandirt for around 350.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I'd go RIA 1911 but that's just me.

This is where I have found the best price at

http://www.sarcoinc.com/2-10-09%20P.pdf

I've never used Sarco nor am I affiliated with them? Maybe someone else here has that can chime in? If not go through Bellshire on GB. Nothing but positive things to say about them.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by ksblazer View Post
    I'd go RIA 1911 but that's just me.

This is where I have found the best price at

http://www.sarcoinc.com/2-10-09%20P.pdf

I've never used Sarco nor am I affiliated with them? Maybe someone else here has that can chime in? If not go through Bellshire on GB. Nothing but positive things to say about them.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
    thanks for that, thats a good deal ill definitely keep that 1 in mind

RIA is very nice .45 the money is just a bonus for extra ammo, holster. The one in the pics is a very reliable gun. I know a guy who bought the same gun and now carries it daily.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links