Opinions of S&W SIGMA ? - Page 2

Opinions of S&W SIGMA ?

This is a discussion on Opinions of S&W SIGMA ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If someone has very low cash, then the S&W Sigma is a good choice. Nonetheless, I would try to send it to a gunsmith or ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Opinions of S&W SIGMA ?

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    If someone has very low cash, then the S&W Sigma is a good choice. Nonetheless, I would try to send it to a gunsmith or S&W for a good trigger job to improve the trigger. Man that thing is looooooooooooooooooooooong!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by gold40 View Post
    Does anyone here own one?
    I have one that is issued to me by my employer. I must carry it on duty. The one I have is a 40VE. It has great ergonomics and I am a fan of the .40S&W cartridge, with a 14 round magazine. The problem I have with the Sigma, as do most folks who have them is, the trigger. It really sucks. No matter how much I shoot it, I don't seem to be able to shoot well with it. I can certainly make consecutive center mass hits, just not as well as I can with my personal pistols. No matter how I whine and snivel, I'm stuck carrying it on duty instead of being allowed to carry one of my own. The old corporate fall-back: "policy."

Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

I have a .40S&W Sigma... it's a great gun. Very reliable and accurate. It's too big for me as an EDC so it only sees range time occasionally and is frankly becoming a bit of a safe queen now that I have my G19. Hell, if you want it I might consider selling it.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

I have been researching this gun myself as we will be buying several of them over the next few months. I have found that they are good guns. They do have a heavy and long trigger pull but, that is by design. It is rather easy to lighten the pull though with the removal of one spring. This video shows how it can be done.

YouTube - Sigma Trigger Fix.divx
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I have been researching this gun myself as we will be buying several of them over the next few months. I have found that they are good guns. They do have a heavy and long trigger pull but, that is by design. It is rather easy to lighten the pull though with the removal of one spring. This video shows how it can be done.

YouTube - Sigma Trigger Fix.divx

^^^^As TN Mike says^^^^^^^^^^^^

He is researching this pistol,,

Here is a thread started by him, with some more insight for you,,Buds Gunshop.....S&W 9SVE for cheap
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

A buddy of mine has a .40 Sigma. It runs good, but the trigger pull is unbelievably heavy to me, and I shoot DA revolvers a lot. He still has it because he can't get more than $120 at a LGS, but his preferred pistol is a XD9 now.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I had one, and a friend of mine still owns one. The inaccuracy of this handgun are because of the long trigger pull. It kinda multiplies bad trigger form because of the long pull. Some complain about a gritty feel on the pull but that goes away with lots of ammo downrange. And theres always the trigger mod, and polishing trigger components to smooth it out even more. Very good gun for the money, and then some.

Have a gunsmith that knows the design do a trigger job ( should be about $30-40 bucks) and enjoy a sturdy and reliable pistol.

We have them as range rentals and they hold up better than much more expensive guns. The magazines are sturdy enough to drive nails.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I bought my S&WSigma 40VE about two years ago. It is very reliable,it stays loaded along my bedside along with several other firearms. I am a pretty healthy guy so the long trigger pull does not bother me at all. I am not going to alter the trigger assembly at all because if you have to use the weapon in a self-defense situation I can promise you that the District Atty will bring that in as a factor if you end up in court. If a District Atty has come to a conclusion to prosecute you instead of letting a shooting you are involved in be considered an act of self-defense, they will pull out all stops to make it look like you acted in a manner that is not self defense, that is all I am gonna say about that.

Active or retired military gets a 50.00 rebate from S&W 'til 3/31
    Nation's Finest - Smith & Wesson

I own a sigma 9 and at first I hated the trigger and I mean I really hated it. After about 200 rounds I became used to the trigger and now enjoy shooting it. I would say if you are used to shooting a revolver then it may not take as much getting used to it. My wife would carries a j-frame loves the gun and can shoot it quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    If a District Atty has come to a conclusion to prosecute you instead of letting a shooting you are involved in be considered an act of self-defense, they will pull out all stops to make it look like you acted in a manner that is not self defense, that is all I am gonna say about that.
    Modifying a weapon to be easier on the shooter would be a hard sell to a juror to argue against SD. On that same token, you might as well just stock up on cheap FMJ rounds because tactical or personal defense JHPs could be used by the DA against you.

That said, any expert witness (local firearms instructor) could just get put up on the stand and testify that the stock Sigma trigger is notoriously bad.
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

My 40VE has over 4k trouble free rounds down the pipe. The trigger is like a DA revolver and will teach you proper trigger control. I use it as a night stand gun and is still one gun that is nearly perfect ergonomically... the only semi auto better fit to my hands is my M&P. I'm not planning on selling it any time soon.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I looked at one last year while scouting out pistols for my wife. I played with the .40 version. Yes the trigger left a lot to be desired and I had a hard time just pulling back the slide, but it felt really good in my hand and seemed to shoot well. My wife wanted a 9mm and couldn't even pull the slide back. It was going to be her gun so she passed.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    loved the way mine shot and felt in my hand, not to mention the ergonmics for carry were amazing. i sold it to my boss though and bought an AK, i think i upgraded a bit
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links