Opinions of S&W SIGMA ?

This is a discussion on Opinions of S&W SIGMA ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dsee11789 They're very reliable. Trigger pull is a little heavy. People don't like them because their inexpensive and they mistake that for ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Opinions of S&W SIGMA ?

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    They're very reliable. Trigger pull is a little heavy. People don't like them because their inexpensive and they mistake that for "cheap".
    I could not agree more! I have one and never had a moments problem with it. Shoots just fine and (mine) has been 100% reliable. I have read about some issues a few years back but that has changed. Buds has these for $297.00 and I would not hesitate one moment in purchasing one again should the need arise.

Some folks figure that a low cost firearm has to be cheap junk. If that were the case, Kel-Tec would have never been able to sell a P3AT. And LCPs would have never made it to market. Both well under $300.00.

NO, the trigger is not like that of a SP-101 or J-frame. That is fine. If I am proficient with it, what difference does it make?

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

I had one for about a week and Sold it and got the Glock 23...the sites weren't all that great and I'm not a fan of that trigger pull...but like everyone else said its not a bad gun for the price...I would go to the store and hold one in your hands...maybe rent one and shoot it because it doesn't come down to what we all think of the gun...its what you think and how it feels to you...at the end of the day you're the one who's going to be carrying and god forbid using it to save yourself and/or your family....just my opinion...my brother on the other hand loves is .40 sigma...never had a problem with it and he's put about 800-1000 rounds through it

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    If you want a gun just to shoot for fun and never carry then go for it. But you would never catch one of those guns as an EDC in my holster. If I were looking for a EDC I would spend the extra dollars because I will have this gun for the rest of my life. I might as well make it a good purchase and a top quality gun.

If you can afford it I would go M&P or an M&P compact. If those are out of your price range, then I would do as others have suggested is buy the SD line up from S&W.

Look at it as a lifetime investment, not just what is the cheapest.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I find it funny that when talking about the Sigma, people always try to push the SD even though the SD trigger is just a Sigma with different look and a grip that is a little bit smaller.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

My SW40V Sigma is probably more than 10 years old now. It's so boring I can't stand it. Every time I pick it up and pull the trigger, it goes "bang, bang, bang, bang" ad infinitum, and all the bullets go to about the same place where I'm aiming the gun, and I never get to clear a jam or worry about whether I'm feeding it HPs, truncated cones, FMJs or whatever. Sheesh, most boring and least expensive pistol I ever bought. Oh, and when I stick it in my waistband at the small of my back, I forget about it being there! BOOOOORRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNGGG!!

i have a newer version of s&w sigma 9mm. after shooting 1,000 rounds, i do have to agree about the heavy trigger however, its my choice for cc at the moment

Ahhh the sigma it was the first pistol I ever owne and I still have it with over 6000 rounds through it. This gun gets a bad rap because of the trigger but if u shoot it enough u will learn the trigger mine is accurate and dependable and for 289 bucks brand new I think it is one of the best deals out there

I guess it would be okay if you put it through its paces at the range and fire a bunch of rounds down range.

Me, I don't have that kind of time. The ammo expense to actually trust it for edc would cost the same as getting a more proven reliable weapon.

It is defiantly worth it to me to spend the extra $200 or so bucks and get something that I trust will run 100% out of the box.

Thats just me. :-)

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    I guess it would be okay if you put it through its paces at the range and fire a bunch of rounds down range.

Me, I don't have that kind of time. The ammo expense to actually trust it for edc would cost the same as getting a more proven reliable weapon.

It is defiantly worth it to me to spend the extra $200 or so bucks and get something that I trust will run 100% out of the box.

Thats just me. :-)
    You put in the same amount of time and ammo in the Sigma as you do any other gun. Anything less is just plan unsafe.

Coming from someone that has placed well over 15K rounds though a Sigma and has pretty much treated the gun like crap. The gun still runs just as the way it ran when I got it out of the box on day one.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Since M&P's are now under $450 a Sigma is a poor choice IMO.

Smile

Having started this thread months ago, I thought you might be interesed in the "outcome."

I ended up purchasing a used "police trade-in" S&W 5906 9mm for about the same price, $300, and am very pleased with it. It is heavier than the SIGMA, as it has a stainless steel frame. It functions well, and is accurate. I like it better than the SIGMA, but that may just be a personal choice thing.

gold40

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Trigger is the only down side, and if you look on cheaperthandirt right now you can get a keltec p11 for $202.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

i got a used one in 40 s&w. never had any problems with it. it runs and runs. i like the grip better than my glock 23 that i carry on and off duty. they are not bad guns. they are also made like a glock. when you take one a part you can see how close they are. some talk bad about them, but i can not see it. the only thing that i found that i did not like was the heavy trigger pull, about ten + pounds. but you can work through it. i did a job job on the gun and the trigger pull went down to around 6 pounds. so, it you can find a cheap used one and/or a new one on sale i would go for it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I still shoot the snot out of mine, I even carry it every so often & always goes on road trips with me ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I have a Sigma 40ve with night sights that I have had for quite a while and has put thousands of uneventful rounds down range. It ain't the prettiest girl at the dance but I have put that weapon through a lot and it has never failed. I just purchased a Springfield XDm 40 and after only 100 rounds I can tell you that costing more doesn't make it a better firearm.....so far, I am shooting my XDm40 like crap.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links