Opinions of S&W SIGMA ? - Page 4

Opinions of S&W SIGMA ?

This is a discussion on Opinions of S&W SIGMA ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah, the only negative I've heard about the Sigma is the terrible trigger pull. I don't think there has been any reliability issues though....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Opinions of S&W SIGMA ?

Yeah, the only negative I've heard about the Sigma is the terrible trigger pull. I don't think there has been any reliability issues though.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    You put in the same amount of time and ammo in the Sigma as you do any other gun. Anything less is just plan unsafe.

Coming from someone that has placed well over 15K rounds though a Sigma and has pretty much treated the gun like crap. The gun still runs just as the way it ran when I got it out of the box on day one.
    Are you saying that I am unsafe for not putting a bunch of rounds through my edc? I guess I should just leave it at home then. I really dont want to be unsafe.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    Are you saying that I am unsafe for not putting a bunch of rounds through my edc? I guess I should just leave it at home then. I really dont want to be unsafe.
    You wrote;

I guess it would be okay if you put it through its paces at the range and fire a bunch of rounds down range.

Me, I don't have that kind of time. The ammo expense to actually trust it for edc would cost the same as getting a more proven reliable weapon.
    What I took from that is that you would put less rounds in a gun that you think is "reliable" than another gun. That is a false thought as you should put the same amount of rounds through any gun you carry. Doing anything less than that is unsafe.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I had one for a little while... I got it for a great price too. They have a horrible trigger. my advice is to save a little more and buy the Glock that the Sigma is trying to be.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Get the SD series for about $50 to $75 bucks more, it's well worth it !
    The new Sigmas aren't bad, but you can get better for a few more dollars. If you want to go one more step you could get the M&P which are a very good pistol !

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

You wrote;

What I took from that is that you would put less rounds in a gun that you think is "reliable" than another gun. That is a false thought as you should put the same amount of rounds through any gun you carry. Doing anything less than that is unsafe.
    Ok unsafe. I have been saving all year for a decent down payment on a Mercedes SLK 350 that I hope to purchase this January. Do you think I should drive it around the block 500 or more times before I take my road trip to Ohio?

edit: at 23 years old, how do you know what a "false thought" is (other then having unprotected sex and thinking your partner wont get pregnant)?

Ok unsafe. I have been saving all year for a decent down payment on a Mercedes SLK 350 that I hope to purchase this January. Do you think I should drive it around the block 500 or more times before I take my road trip to Ohio?

edit: at 23 years old, how do you know what a "false thought" is (other then having unprotected sex and thinking your partner wont get pregnant)?
    Comparing apples to oranges. A car isn't made to defend your life like a firearm is. Would you buy a gun, not shoot it but yet carry it anyway unfired?

Age is meaningless. There are 15 year old adults and 45 year old children in this world. However, its much easier picking out the 45 year old children then it is the 15 year old adults......
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

That is a false thought as you should put the same amount of rounds through any gun you carry. Doing anything less than that is unsafe.
    Glocks are usually good to go right out of the box. I rarely fire more than a couple of mags out of a new Glock before I carry it. The money I save in wasted break in ammo just goes......to buy another Glock.
    gunsnroses likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Comparing apples to oranges. A car isn't made to defend your life like a firearm is. Would you buy a gun, not shoot it but yet carry it anyway unfired?

Age is meaningless. There are 15 year old adults and 45 year old children in this world. However, its much easier picking out the 45 year old children then it is the 15 year old adults......
    Well, it doesn't seem so much like apples/oranges to me. I drive my car allot more then I shoot my gun. After all, vehicles account for more accidental deaths then firearm ownership. However, I do trust my life with my vehicle. Not only do I depend on it for transportation, but protection too. I feel safe in it as I would in my own home. Also, I would really hate to see that I may have bought a lemon and the wheel fell off and I crashed and killed myself or someone else....or it broke down in a strange neighborhood and I was assaulted or killed because of it?

Maybe 500 laps around the block doesn't sound that bad?

Bought my 9 VE a couple of years ago, and have put over 4,000 rounds through it with 2 FTFs. Both cartridges had dented primers, and failed to fire a second time. The were WW White box 100 round bulk. The trigger does smooth and lighten with rounds down range. I do not think twice about carrying it, but mostly I carry my 642. Now that colder waether is here I can carry the 642 as a bug to my 9 VE.

Well, it doesn't seem so much like apples/oranges to me. I drive my car allot more then I shoot my gun. After all, vehicles account for more accidental deaths then firearm ownership. However, I do trust my life with my vehicle. Not only do I depend on it for transportation, but protection too. I feel safe in it as I would in my own home. Also, I would really hate to see that I may have bought a lemon and the wheel fell off and I crashed and killed myself or someone else....or it broke down in a strange neighborhood and I was assaulted or killed because of it?

Maybe 500 laps around the block doesn't sound that bad?
    And with that post, I know you are not thinking logically and have no mindset. I'm done responding to you.
    gunsnroses likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I have shot both a Sigma 9 and the 40.... I own a S&W M&P40 .... the two are not to be confused but the Sigma's trigger is not as good as the Self-Defense Gun S&W also offers. For $100 or more you can get the SD9 or SD40 with a much better trigger... The Sigma is relible and give your finger a great workout. I think after shooting them I could do push ups on one finger.

It is not a tack driver it will do 3 inch groups at 10yards but don't try to use it past there accurately quickly. If you have alot of time to sit and squeeze squeeze squeeze that HEAVY trigger then go for it... But I will never own one.

It is something that you could own the rest of your life, is spending the extra $100 on a SD rather than a Sigma worth it? Yes... is the extra $200 on a M&P worth it.? Heck YES!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I bought my 9ve for $299. It really was all I could afford. I carry it everyday. To add to the trigger complaints, my only real complaint is the
    Long setback. Makes it tough for quick follow up shots. With a lot of practice, I can keep my groups in a dinner plate at 50 feet.

Wasn't popular at all.

Quote Originally Posted by pat701 View Post
    Wasn't popular at all.
    I don't know how many have been sold, but there was a lot of them. and they are still selling good.
    It is very under rated.
    The only real complaint with it is a hard trigger pull, but it gets much better with use.
    It is a great gun for the price.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links