Opinions of S&W SIGMA ? - Page 5

Opinions of S&W SIGMA ?

This is a discussion on Opinions of S&W SIGMA ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dsee11789 They're very reliable. Trigger pull is a little heavy. People don't like them because their inexpensive and they mistake that for ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Opinions of S&W SIGMA ?

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    They're very reliable. Trigger pull is a little heavy. People don't like them because their inexpensive and they mistake that for "cheap".
    No most people don't like them because of the triggers,I've seen numerous first time shooters putting rounds into the dirt in front of the target because they tend to jerk the trigger,If Its all you can afford right now,then my suggestion is to dry fire the gun until you develope muscle memory on where the trigger "breaks" it will definitely help.But there are also used Glocks all over the internet for around the $350 mark.
    "Summit Gunbroker" has used S&W 639's and 669's for $365.00.they also have used Glock 27's for $395
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You get what you pay for and the light/laser rail needs and adapter to fit any light or laser and it makes the whole set up really fat and hunky

edit: you can do a trigger job on them and drop the trigger from 8lbs to 4lbs by removing a spring

mine was terrible. terrible trigger, didn't like most hollow points, front sight came off, 2 broken mag followers. I bought one back in 94-95 though so i expect they're a bit better now.

Countless rounds through my 9VE and not one malfunction. I have yet to see another pistol take the thousands of rounds that mine has without any issues.

For the Glock fanboys, have you compared the Sigma to a Glock? They darn near identical! In fact, the first Sigma's slide could actually be put on a Glock and function. Also, not all Glocks are reliable. I know of a Glock 17 that is a jam-o-matic, with less than 500 rounds through it.

If you don't run at least a couple boxes of ammo through a gun before carrying it, you aren't too bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    If you don't run at least a couple boxes of ammo through a gun before carrying it, you aren't too bright.
    did anyone imply they didn't do or know that?

I've seen lots of guns from several different manufacturers provide extreme reliability. my sigma was not one of them. glad yours is working out so well for you though. based on my personal experience, I don't recommend the gun to people when asked. I've had crappy experiences with guns from lots of manufacturers, including Glock. not liking the sigma doesn't make someone a Glock fanboy.

Distinguished Member
    I agree with that statement (not in context of the Sigma, or any particular handgun). In fact, I have run across several classified ads on a local firearms website/forum that I frequent and I've seen someone advertising for sale a handgun which has some wear due to carry but has never been fired, except at the factory. When I saw the first one of those I was dumbstruck. When I saw another one I just realized what I've known for some time - common sense isn't all that common.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    did anyone imply they didn't do or know that?

I've seen lots of guns from several different manufacturers provide extreme reliability. my sigma was not one of them. glad yours is working out so well for you though. based on my personal experience, I don't recommend the gun to people when asked. I've had crappy experiences with guns from lots of manufacturers, including Glock. not liking the sigma doesn't make someone a Glock fanboy.
    Yes, they did. See gunsnroses posts in this thread. As for the Glock fanboy comment, that was directed at whoever said they only run a mag or two through a new Glock and feel it's ready to carry. I never said that not liking the Sigma makes you a Glock fanboy. My post was for EVERYONE that posted in this thread, not just you. Maybe you need to read the whole thread rather than thinking everyone is directing their posts at you.

FYI, I own many guns, not just a Sigma. I have a Glock, a Taurus pt140, a 1911, and even a Bodyguard .380. Yet somehow, that Sigma remains my favorite. Maybe it's the fact that it does nothing but work, or maybe it's because it feels like a Glock and has a 1911 grip angle. I don't know for sure, but something about it keeps bringing me back.

AccessBob, I agree. Common sense is something I haven't seen in awhile.

Yes, they did. See gunsnroses posts in this thread. As for the Glock fanboy comment, that was directed at whoever said they only run a mag or two through a new Glock and feel it's ready to carry. I never said that not liking the Sigma makes you a Glock fanboy. My post was for EVERYONE that posted in this thread, not just you. Maybe you need to read the whole thread rather than thinking everyone is directing their posts at you.
    I didn't assume you directed that at me because I knew I didn't say it. it was a legitimate question because i can't believe anyone wouldn't loosen up their gun a bit before giving up on it.

I'm not going to apologize for not reading every post in a thread that's over a year old. that's why I asked the question.

carry on.

I would just like to tell of my experience concerning my sigma 40ve. I LOVE IT. I could not afford much and after some research and filtering through the b-s, I determined that most people hated this gun w/o even firing it. It is a glock copy for one thing. So it did have that going for it. I also saw a utube video on how to lighten the trigger pull. So I bought one and it is a great pistol. Even before I performed the trigger spring switch, the trigger pull was not all that bad. but I have had many pistols, some with strong trigger pulls, so it was OK. But then I did the spring switch and man!!, its sweet now.
    I took it to the range and fired 250 rounds through it, useing 3 different brands of ammo with 3 different bullet weights and it performed fawlessly.
    One thing I did not count on tho was how powerful it is. But thats a good thing. I believe before anyone hates on this pistol they should at least fire a few rounds through one.
    Last edited by torkman; May 27th, 2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: delete word

I've had a Sigma 9mm for many years and I can honestly say I have never had one failure. Not once. Thats why I like to carry it. No it is not the most accurate of my guns but it fires every time. That being said I will not buy another S&W for other reasons that have nothing to do with quality just political reasons.

As I am new to this blog I hope it is not rude to ask you as to what political reason to which you speak. Thank you

Sorry should not have brought it up and hi-jaked a thread. Research S&W and gun control. Just some things that rubbed me the wrong way.
    BTW welcome to the boards, we're practically neighbors.

I will, thank you

VIP Member
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Sigma......unless you have to pull that horrible trigger. I flat out hate that trigger. It"s like 9 miles of bad road.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Sigma......unless you have to pull that horrible trigger. I flat out hate that trigger. It"s like 9 miles of bad road.
    My wife's Sigma (SW9F - earlier model) - the trigger is way better than the KelTec PF9 which she liked (until she got the M&P Shield 9). I don't know what the SW9VE trigger is like as I haven't fired one. I wonder how it compares to the 9F.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links