Opinions of S&W SIGMA ?

This is a discussion on Opinions of S&W SIGMA ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Cabela's has the S&W SIGMA on sale rhis week for $299. What is the general opinion of this hangun for self-defense usage? Is it reliable? ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Opinions of S&W SIGMA ?

Opinions of S&W SIGMA ?

Cabela's has the S&W SIGMA on sale rhis week for $299.

What is the general opinion of this hangun for self-defense usage? Is it reliable? Any known problems? Is this a good deal? Opinions?

gold40

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    They have had a very negative reputation. I don't know the specifics, and I don't know if this has changed, but I wouldn't trust my life to a gun that people don't generally think highly of until I had put a lot of rounds downrange. There's usually a legitimate reason.

Does anyone here own one?

I had one and it was a great gun for the money. I carried it daily and put about 3,000 rounds through it. Don't listen to the negative things people say. The only down side is a heavy trigger pull. Get it, get a trigger job and shoot the heck out of it. You won't regret it.

I have a Sigma, I bought it about 8 months ago brand new. I really wouldnt recommend it.The sights on mine are fixed and are horribly off, at 20 yards you gotta aim about 6 inches to the right.The trigger is a little stiff but not unreasonable.As far as function goes iI've never had a problem,its really easy to field strip and clean,I thought about putting a laser on mine but decided against spending anymore money on a gun I dont carry so it spends most of the time in the case.

For just a little more money you can get a S&W SD9 or SD40. The frame is like a Sigma with a squared trigger gaurd like M&P.The slide is similar to the M&P. The trigger pull is lighter than the Sigma and it has a front night sight. I paid 370.00 for my SD9. The early Sigmas were the ones that had problems,now the majority of complaint's is about the heavy trigger pull. I have 300 rds thru my sd9 without any problems.
    TommyGun4169 likes this.

I had one. It never jammed and whatever actually accuracy it had was hard to harness because the trigger pull was horrible.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

A buddy of mine has one, I personally didnt care for it. His would shoot down and to the left really bad. That was just my experience with the firearm. Look at the M&P's, ive been hearing alot of good stuff about those.
    Generation 4 Glock 23
    Son, if you want something in this life you have to work for it,
    now quiet! there about to announce the lottery numbers........ Homar Simpson

They're very reliable. Trigger pull is a little heavy. People don't like them because their inexpensive and they mistake that for "cheap".
    claude clay likes this.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

All of the ones I've used, not owned, had the most god awful triggers. It was LONG and creepy AND it stacked at the end of the pull. I was still carrying stock revolvers back then and I could not get over the trigger.

OTOH I had a friend that absolutely could not afford a better piece. He got used to the horrible trigger and it served him well enough. It worked fine when he had to put a 165 pound American Bulldog down after it developed encephalitis and attacked his wife.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

For the price they are decent, I owned one. If I had to do it over I'd probably have saved up a little longer and gotten a Glock or something else.

I don't like the trigger, so I modified mine by removing one of the springs. *disclaimer* - I did this on my own knowing it could be dangerous and voiding the warranty by modifying the weapon.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I just bought a S&W SD40 for $375 brand new. It is a completely different gun than the Sigma and much, much better.
    Spec likes this.

The original ones were absolute garbage. However the newest models put out by S&W are much better. The trigger is still on the mushy side, but as for a defensive pistol for someone on a budget they're a good choice.
    "Lawyers, Guns and Money"

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I don't own one but I have read extensively that it has a terribly looooong trigger pull, but I have never read about any reliability issues with it.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    Great gun? No, the bad trigger pull is the stuff of legend.

Great value? Yes, they are well made, reliable guns at a rock bottom price. If you are stuck in this price range and really can't afford any better, yes you should get one (and not something else). They are a dependable firearm, they just aren't all that cool or super fun to shoot (heavy trigger).

If you can afford a little more money there are MUCH nicer guns just about $100 to $150 higher in price. Glocks, M&Ps and a host of others are just a little more money.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links