Finally got new springs....

This is a discussion on Finally got new springs.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally got new springs in my new 642 today. I have had it since a couple of days before Christmas and I finally got around ...

Thread: Finally got new springs....

Finally got new springs....

Finally got new springs in my new 642 today. I have had it since a couple of days before Christmas and I finally got around to ordering the Wilson springs Sunday and they came in today. Couldn't wait to get home and stick them in.

A good defensive firearm just got better......sweeet.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats!!! It's amazing what a little bit of time and attention and a couple springs will do. Put a box or two through it to make sure you don't have any malfunctions or light strikes and let us know what you think about the feel and accuracy. It makes a noticable difference.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Congrats!!! It's amazing what a little bit of time and attention and a couple springs will do. Put a box or two through it to make sure you don't have any malfunctions or light strikes and let us know what you think about the feel and accuracy. It makes a noticable difference.
    Yes, I am well aware of the difference.......I have been j-frame fan for years.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I want to do the same thing to my S&W 442. I have been dry firing the heck out of it to smooth out the DAO trigger a bit, but a nice set of Wolff Springs would make it even better.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    Finally got new springs in my new 642 today. I have had it since a couple of days before Christmas and I finally got around to ordering the Wilson springs Sunday and they came in today. Couldn't wait to get home and stick them in.

A good defensive firearm just got better......sweeet.
    WILSON springs???

Maybe Wolff springs?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    WILSON springs???

Maybe Wolff springs?
    Wilson Combat spring pack

#321 S&W J Frame Spring Kit Wilson Kit # 321 - Wilson Combat

I just got my S&W 649 back from the gunsmith a couple of weeks ago. He deburred and polished and installed a new spring set. The double action trigger is now a smooth 10 # and the SA trigger is a light 2# 8 oz. (from 3#7 oz). The SA trigger is very light and I have to say, suprised me a couple of times. Of course I was pointed up and down range at the time ...

I have been researching about changing the springs on my 442 but I have a few questions since this is new for me.

• Which is best between the Wolff and Wilson Combat Springs?
    • Should I change the hammer spring and the rebound spring, or only one of those two?
    • Which rebound and/or hammer spring should I choose in terms of pounds?
    • Is it possible that changing the springs could cause my revolver to malfunction?
    • If I change the springs, do I lose my warranty?
    • Is it worth changing the springs?

I would appreciate all of your advice and comments.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I imagine Wolff makes Wilson springs under contract. They are the biggest manufacturer of springs like that. I would change both to the lightest made by Wolff for your particular gun if you're after the lightest trigger pull. Change both and polish up the internal parts while your're there, or pay a gunsmith to do it. A lighter mainspring can cause light strikes, a light rebound spring can keep the trigger from returning properly. Make sure you test your gun and carry ammo thoroughly. Clean and lube dilligently. Having said that I have never had a reliabilty problem with Wolff springs and centerfire pistols, and I do lots of trigger jobs. I doubt it will void your warranty, if it bothers you keep the originals and if the gun must go back to Smith, drop them in.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Thanks Superhouse15!!! I'll follow your advice...

That's great

My 442 is so smooth and nice, I wouldn't dream of changing anything on it
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

New 125gr LFN mould for the .38 arrived with the springs, so I got out a cast a bunch up and lubed them tonight so that I can load them in the morning to try when I go to the range either tomorrow or Sunday afternoon. I will give the new load and the new springs a good working out which ever day I can get there.

When I was checking the load data on this bullet, I found that Winchester lists 4.8grs of 231 yields nearly 1100fps out of 4" gun. With the meplat that this bullets has, it would probably be a good SD load with the penetration that I know cast bullets reliably get. However, I only use factory ammo as the last thing that I would want is a legal hassle over ammo in the event of a SD situation.

Links