comes down to glocks and 1911s - Page 2

comes down to glocks and 1911s

This is a discussion on comes down to glocks and 1911s within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by QKShooter I drink the Colt Kool-Aid. I'm addicted to the stuff. I have to get some better pics of it, but I've ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: comes down to glocks and 1911s

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I drink the Colt Kool-Aid. I'm addicted to the stuff.
    I have to get some better pics of it, but I've a "new" Colt to show you and C hawk Glock.

ETA: QKS, C hawk Glock ...
    Last edited by OD*; March 18th, 2011 at 10:01 AM.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

That would appear to be the big two with the most following.......... Like the product or not Glock has earned a certain amount of respect; the 1911 well anything that has been going stong for 100 years .... It will keep going; there will be people on a forum tlaking about the 1911 at the 200 year mark as well. (and it will still be a EDC for many in 200 years I think)

I have never owned a Glock, but have shot my son's. I think that trigger pull would take a little getting used to. On the other hand, I do own a 1911 - the only practical way to carry that weapon is cocked and locked. I know most people do it, but it just bothers me. So - at the risk of being stoned, I dare mention the Sig in a Glock/1911 thread. I like the double action feature - it just feels safe to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnasea View Post
    I have never owned a Glock, but have shot my son's. I think that trigger pull would take a little getting used to. On the other hand, I do own a 1911 - the only practical way to carry that weapon is cocked and locked. I know most people do it, but it just bothers me. So - at the risk of being stoned, I dare mention the Sig in a Glock/1911 thread. I like the double action feature - it just feels safe to me.
    I think the DA / SA on the sig is cool too!

I carry both. It depends on the situation. I carry my 1911 when I go hunting as a back up especially against hogs. I carry my Glock 27 when I am in the City.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Apples and Oranges. Both are fruit, both will keep you from starving, but neither one taste like the other. Some like one, some like both.

I like both.

my $0.02

"fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Truth is... I think the 1911 is in a class by itself on a number of fronts. Probably a Glock/Sig comparison is closer to apples/apples..

I got a G-36 for a backup for my 1911...that or a 30,is in my opinion, what those guns are made for.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I have to say that I hated Glocks ever since they came out..( 30+ years ) now I own 3. They are ugly, not target guns, but they ARE SD weapons! I now believe that an ugly Glock is probably the best carry gun I've used in my life. Not for accuracy, but reliability. They are accurate enough and I like the fact that it functions as well as a high capacity revolver with the added benefit of a light trigger pull. There, I have come over to the dark side officially, I think, although, I carry one as a back up to my 1911 which I will never abandon.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    I have to say that I hated Glocks ever since they came out..( 30+ years ) now I own 3. They are ugly, not target guns, but they ARE SD weapons! I now believe that an ugly Glock is probably the best carry gun I've used in my life. Not for accuracy, but reliability. They are accurate enough and I like the fact that it functions as well as a high capacity revolver with the added benefit of a light trigger pull. There, I have come over to the dark side officially, I think, although, I carry one as a back up to my 1911 which I will never abandon.
    Good post.

Reliability is absolutely key for a SD handgun IMO.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I believe more and more shooters , especially the new ones are choosing the glocks over the 1911. At some point I believe it will slowly fade away as more and more generations of shooters choose modern designs, such as they did when the 1911 edged out the old single action revolvers.

Most people today will say the single action revolver is not viable today for SD, rather choosing the DA revolver. Likewise, some today are beginning to say the 1911 has lost it's advantages to the newer, lighter, higher cap models, that exhibit more reliability for less maintenance, among other things mentioned.

I thinks this is just the natural evolution of change.
    Donnasea likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I believe more and more shooters , especially the new ones are choosing the glocks over the 1911. At some point I believe it will slowly fade away as more and more generations of shooters choose modern designs, such as they did when the 1911 edged out the old single action revolvers.

Most people today will say the single action revolver is not viable today for SD, rather choosing the DA revolver. Likewise, some today are beginning to say the 1911 has lost it's advantages to the newer, lighter, higher cap models, that exhibit more reliability for less maintenance, among other things mentioned.

The 1911 did not EDGE out the single action colt. It was a landslide. Nothing wrong with the Colt, but the 1911 left it in the dust and the Glocks, etc. are just refinements on that design. You can't compare a gun that you have to cock for each shot with one that is self cocking, no matter how potent that Colt was.

+10000

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    I've owned and carried Glocks, H&K and 1911s. I love the 1911 platform but could never find one that didn't have a "hic-up" at least once every couple of hundred rounds (stove pipe etc). That failure rate wasn't acceptable to me for CCW so I always reverted back to my Glock or H&K because both of those were completely 100% reliable (just not as sexy)!

Very good post. A gun writer just summed up the same as you. The 1911 going away like the Samarai Sword hung on a wall. "Change".

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

Ok, then actually, the double action revolver put the SA on the back burner. The point I am trying to make is that the modern designs will eventually make the 1911 a relic type firearm.

The M9 of today , and the Sig, Glock, and HK, will as we go forward, slowly put the 1911 out to pasture in the civillian world much like the military did.

But before everyone gets their tighty whiteys in their butt cracks, I am not condenming the 1911, just stating an opinion from my observation of how history treats such things.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links