comes down to glocks and 1911s - Page 3

comes down to glocks and 1911s

This is a discussion on comes down to glocks and 1911s within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm Ok, then actually, the double action revolver put the SA on the back burner. The point I am trying to make ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: comes down to glocks and 1911s

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Ok, then actually, the double action revolver put the SA on the back burner. The point I am trying to make is that the modern designs will eventually make the 1911 a relic type firearm.

The M9 of today , and the Sig, Glock, and HK, will as we go forward, slowly put the 1911 out to pasture in the civillian world much like the military did.

But before everyone gets their tighty whiteys in their butt cracks, I am not condenming the 1911, just stating an opinion from my observation of how history treats such things.
    No, you are right Glockman, it is a century old and not double action, striker fired, etc. BUT, it does work. Are there better designs? Yes..Glock being one...Yes. S&W, Yes..etc., etc. It will fall into the extinct category eventually. BUT, it will always be a fight stopper if you know how to use it, which is the key. In time, no one will. Safety? Condition 1? No one will know how that works. Those that do, will not feel under gunned though. It's all a matter of preference and I'm sure there were Colt afficiondos who said the same thing a century ago. It boils down to whatever works for you.
    It's a great country that can argue these things for centuries, huh?
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I don't see the need for the debate. Get what you like and what works well for you. I have a G22, but am researching 1911's as my next purchase. I'll still keep my Glock even when I have a 1911 and will enjoy both. I agree that they are two different animals and that comparison isn't really fair anyway. Let's all just enjoy our guns!!!
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Exactly, I agree..our enemies will not know or care where it came from
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I agree. The 1911 is a wonderful sidearm, one that I have enjoyed using myself. It is certainly up to the job of an SD pistol. But then again so is the SAA, and the double action revolver.

In any debate, concerning revolvers, many proponents of the DA revolver will usually say that the SA revolver is obsolete, slow to shoot, slow to reload,...ect

If you pay attention to whats going on here in the last 10 or so years, new shooters are now making some of the comparison arguements concerning the 1911 vs (enter modern day gun of your choice).

In an interview with a gunwriter, the first General of the current gulf war selected the m9 over the 1911 as his choice of sidearm. This suprised me. But what it shows me is that generations of new shooters are going a different direction than people of our generation.
    Additionally, many shooter demand the most for the money. With a name brand 1911 costing as much as almost twice the money as an XD, GLOCK or, MP, that also contributes to the decline.

I love my Harley Davidson, but I must concede that metric bikes are a better value, run smoother, cooler, and perform better. However, I chose it for a different reason. And I suspect many people choose 1911s this way too.
    Nothing wrong with buying and shooting what you want, whatever it is.
    Old School likes this.

RKM
    I bought a 1911 just for the sake of having it. fun at the range, fun to look at, fun to shoot. I bought a Glock to protect my life. Sure the 1911 can do that as well. But I feel that, while many may disagree, many will also agree that Glocks make for a much better defensive firearm.

Cool

It has been about ten years now since I sold my Combat Commander. It was the gun I really wanted to like but never really could because as some do not like the feel of the Glock grip because it is to large or blocky the Colt grip was just to small for me. Glocks work well for me for SD and I carry a G-21 on duty and a G-23 off duty supplemented at times with a G-19 or G-36. I have always liked Mr. Brownings designs but the 1911 was just not right for me. It's younger cousin was however my way of staying intouch with a S/A auto fighting pistol. Doing mostly Bar-B-Q duty now she is my link to the past and bridge to the present day. Sorry for the brief thread hijack.

photo.jpgphoto.JPG

Beauty and the G-36 beast.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I believe more and more shooters , especially the new ones are choosing the glocks over the 1911. At some point I believe it will slowly fade away as more and more generations of shooters choose modern designs, such as they did when the 1911 edged out the old single action revolvers.

Most people today will say the single action revolver is not viable today for SD, rather choosing the DA revolver. Likewise, some today are beginning to say the 1911 has lost it's advantages to the newer, lighter, higher cap models, that exhibit more reliability for less maintenance, among other things mentioned.

I thinks this is just the natural evolution of change.
    I like Glocks, and don't own a 1911. After reading your post, I disagree a bit, and it makes me rethink my OP. While I stress again, almost every semi-auto SD pistol consideration includes a glock or a 1911, it does not mean they are the right choices for everyone. I'm only pointing out there is something to be said about firearms that are often 1st choice for many, and the very least 2nd on the list for most.

However, I think the 1911 has a following that will outlast Glocks, so long as firearms are relevant for SD, and I have not considered that. The advantages Glocks offer are often imitated, but sooner or later, something will take the next step beyond imitation. On the other hand, the 1911, for what it is, has it down.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links