Glock 19 Gen4 03 spring range reports

This is a discussion on Glock 19 Gen4 03 spring range reports within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to the forums, and a new CHL holder and handgun owner. After a 9 month selection process (as time would allow, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glock 19 Gen4 03 spring range reports

Glock 19 Gen4 03 spring range reports

I am new to the forums, and a new CHL holder and handgun owner.

After a 9 month selection process (as time would allow, and access to handguns) I chose the gen4 Glock 19 after originally not liking the gen3 Glock 19. I had only shot about 100rds from any pistol (Baretta) and therefore was very much an 'open book' when it came to my selection.

That being said I was aware in november when I chose the gen4 19 that there might be some spring issues, but it had shot the best for me every time I used it so selected it anyway and decided to track any issues I would have by noting the specifics of the load I was using and the number of rounds fired from each; along with rounds shot in between cleanings, number of rounds fired before another error and so forth.

From 11/07/2010 until today I have shot 2630 rounds with 11 combined errors (either failure to feed (FtF) or failure to eject (FtE), giving me a 0.418% error.

Of the 11 FtF/FtE (6 FtF & 5 FtE) errors, 6 came from the 300 rounds of Monarch 115gr brass ammunition, or 2.0% (shot over different sessions)

It is also worth noting that 6 of those errors came between 11/07/2010 and 12/01/2010 (1,000 rounds shot in that period), including one FtE from Winchester 124gr NATO (50rds shot, 2.0% error), which may suggest user error on part of the grip as after the 12/01/2010 range session I notated that I learned and started practicing a new (and proper) grip starting on 12/10/2010.

My longest period and most rounds without error was between 12/10/2010 and 03/09/2011. The gun had intentionally not been cleaned since after the 12/01/2010 session and would not until error occurred again. A total of 1,430 rounds over 8 sessions.

Finally on 03/11/2011 there was 1 FtE after 100 Winchester 115gr white box and 2 FtE and 2 FtF from 50 rounds of Monarch 115gr brass.

I decided to go ahead and call Glock for the 04 spring anyway, just to have and so I can get a comparison going.

On a side note, the gentleman at Glock was very helpful and did ask me about the type of ammo I had used and how many errors I experienced. I was pleased to hear him say he was surprised about how few errors I had experienced over that many rounds and complimented my grip.

I don't know if this will be of any use to anyone, but I did fire 7 different factory loads over the period mentioned and could go into a bit more detail if anyone is interested. I had not seen anything posted with detailed notes and tracking of their range sessions like this and wanted to share.

I welcome any questions and/or comments.

p.s. Another reason I posted it is because I do not have any real, hard frame of reference as to what a typical error rate is with any handgun, as I have never shot over 2,600 rounds from the same weapon and kept any sort of reporting while doing it. I would be very interested in hearing any other such results from the same or different guns, with the same or different loads.
    Last edited by zangler; March 17th, 2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: additions
    JD likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Very thorough. Thanks for the report!
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Now that is a range report.

Are you an engineer? =D

Quote Originally Posted by javahawk View Post
    Now that is a range report.

Are you an engineer? =D
    lol...hardly...just some good old fashioned scientific observation. Honestly I get tired of endless forum speculation and discussion over something that is pretty easy to put a few hard numbers on.

This time was easier than most since I started taking detailed range notes from the first bullet fired. It would be really interesting to see a couple of thousand rounds through many of the most popular carry guns and see the results.

I wonder how much difference the 04 spring will make...less that one half of one percent failure does not seem that bad...especially when over half of that is all from one load.

So taking out the 300 Monarch 115gr rounds that is a 0.214% failure rate or nearly a 99.8% success rate. I wonder if I can find the police or military evaluation tests for various firearms and see how it compares.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    once you get the 04 spring I would run a few boxes of 124 NATO through it just in case. That should help break it in. Keep us updated but my guess is that the new spring will solve your problems.

I have a Gen 4 23 with the O3 spring that has given me some issues. I'm about 99% sure I've narrowed it down to a single magazine though.

VIP Member
    Nice data, but that is still far more errors then I have ever received from my Gen 3's or any of my three M&P's. I would have to say I have thousands and thousands more rounds through them as well.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Nice range report. Thanks for sharing.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Nice data, but that is still far more errors then I have ever received from my Gen 3's or any of my three M&P's. I would have to say I have thousands and thousands more rounds through them as well.
    That is great to know, and what I suspected and the reason I went ahead and got the 04 spring.

I just picked up a Gen 4 G19 and noticed that it has the 04 spring. I am anxious to get it out to the range and see how it performs.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

I bought a Gen 3 19 in december and I have 1500 rounds through it since with zero malfunctions. I was sad to hear about the 4th gen problems because I recently got a gen 4 26 but it has yet to fail and the 26 has always had a dual spring. Your record keeping is excellent
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

VIP Member
    Great report. I like the 1430 rounds without cleaning before the next failure. At some point the cleanliness of the firearm will be a big contributing factor to failures. It's nice to know the max round count at which your gun must be cleaned. Personally, I try to clean my guns after every range session. If not, then during the next few days. I wipe down my guns at least once a month, inspect and lube if needed.

I never want the functionality of my firearm to be the cause for a failure, because failures can be deadly...
    Last edited by TX-JB; March 20th, 2011 at 12:52 AM. Reason: typo
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Impressive record keeping!!

I try to not clean guns after each range session. I can't shoot at home where I clean, so after it's been taken apart there is always the chance that something went wrong. I like just wearing it out of the range knowing it worked for the last shot and has not been tampered with. This all works for me as long as I go and shoot often.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zangler View Post
    That is great to know, and what I suspected and the reason I went ahead and got the 04 spring.
    Can you give us an update once you get the new spring installed? I am very curious to see the new data.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Wow, cudos to your meticulous record keeping. This is the best written range report i've come across yet. You strike me as ex military, and you did say the only shooting you have done was with a berretta...M-9 perhaps sir?

I typically clean about every 500 rounds or so, but was curious how far I could push it.

I have not had a chance to use the new spring yet but fully plan on continuing my records and even have another 100-200 rounds of the Monarch 115gr ammo left to really put it to the test.

I often made notes about the recoil and accuracy of the ammo so will compare these characteristics also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links