Would like advice on which one: Kimber SOLO, SIG P290, or Diamondback DB9 - Page 2

Would like advice on which one: Kimber SOLO, SIG P290, or Diamondback DB9

This is a discussion on Would like advice on which one: Kimber SOLO, SIG P290, or Diamondback DB9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for all the responses. As I stated before, I have a Walther PPS but don't find it pocketable. Now IF I decided to dress ...

View Poll Results: Which would you choose? Why?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • SOLO

15 53.57%
  • P290

9 32.14%
  • DB9 (not the Aston Martin!)

4 14.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would like advice on which one: Kimber SOLO, SIG P290, or Diamondback DB9

Thanks for all the responses. As I stated before, I have a Walther PPS but don't find it pocketable. Now IF I decided to dress like a hoodlum then it possible, but I'd be better off getting a S&W 500 and throwing it in those baggy pockets.

I choose the 3 (4 if you count the Kahr) because proportionally they are about the same. The height of the grip is 4 or less. The PF9 has a height of 4.3, and the walther has a grip of 4.4. I like the idea of the PF9, but would prefer one of the 3, if not the Kahr.

I've held the Kimber and threw it in my pocket and I was impressed. I felt it there compaired to my LCP, but the LCP isn't too much fun to shoot, and so I would expect that the Kimber wouldn't be too bad due to its weight.
    "Common sense is not so common. Voltaire

I've found most 'pocket' nines aren't really that pocketable. They all seem to have just a hair too much bulk for me. IWB though, they're fantastic.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Actually in some of the *actual* photos that I have seen comparing the Kahr PM9 and the Kimber Solo the Solo looks slightly smaller. I had the opportunity to actually handle and compare side by side the PM9 and the Solo together and the Solo looks to be about 1/8 of an inch smaller in some of the dimensions. Even the sales person that was assisting me commented that according to Kahr's specs, the PM9 should be smaller, but we can actually see that it was not. Also they are both very nice guns, but the Solo actually feels a little more pocketable because the edges are more rounded. Just sharing my direct experience with this. I hope this helps. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgelj View Post
    Then you missed this thread where the Kimber Solo was compared visually with the PM9 and other small autos. The PM9 is smaller than the kimber or the P290....so if its not pocketable then the other 2 won't be either.

Administrator
    I don't think I'd spend my money on any of them. Its not that they are not good guns, its more that we don't know if they are good guns yet. I'll never be the test case for a new model, that just doesnt make sense to me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Cabelas have the Sig. I like Sigs but customers do not seem very impressed with the new one. I would vote Kahr PM9 also. There is always the problem of wanting the new "best gun" but recently especially with the .380s first runs have seemed to have issues.

Haven't read all the replies to see if this has been said, but I love my Kel Tec PF9. I've heard of people having some issues with them, but I've had 2 and they both have run great.
    Keep in mind though, they aren't always an out of the box gem like a Glock. There are a couple points to go over before you stick it in your pocket and rely on it to save your life. But then again, you should do that with ANY carry piece.
    You can't beat the price though.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Here's some wonderful comparison charts created by our fellow member Los3088.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I don't think I'd spend my money on any of them. Its not that they are not good guns, its more that we don't know if they are good guns yet. I'll never be the test case for a new model, that just doesnt make sense to me.
    Agreed. I vote "none of the above." The first run of any product is too likely to have issues that are addressed in subsequent runs.

I think the listed width on the Solo includes the thumb safety, and so appears wider than it effectively is compared to other guns.

Isn't the Solo an SA? If an SA works for you that is a fine look'n piece but then again looks aren't everything as ye ole expression goes * You know with 1st year productions you are better sitting on the sidelines that gambling the gun your carring for SD will go bang every-time *

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I have to agree. Been there, done that more times than I care to admit.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links