Would like advice on which one: Kimber SOLO, SIG P290, or Diamondback DB9

Would like advice on which one: Kimber SOLO, SIG P290, or Diamondback DB9

This is a discussion on Would like advice on which one: Kimber SOLO, SIG P290, or Diamondback DB9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at a pocket 9mm. I've actually seen the Kimber SOLO at SHOOT STRAIGHT in Tampa, Florida and I can say that for the ...

View Poll Results: Which would you choose? Why?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • SOLO

15 53.57%
  • P290

9 32.14%
  • DB9 (not the Aston Martin!)

4 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would like advice on which one: Kimber SOLO, SIG P290, or Diamondback DB9

Question Would like advice on which one: Kimber SOLO, SIG P290, or Diamondback DB9

I'm looking at a pocket 9mm. I've actually seen the Kimber SOLO at SHOOT STRAIGHT in Tampa, Florida and I can say that for the first Kimber I've every held, it was love at first sight!! That being said, I've also seen the new DB9 and luckily I live in Florida, so I can drive to the East Coast if I decide to get it.

Based on what I've read, I like the Kimber over them all, but I don't like the safety. The SIG is a nice gun, although blocky, but we carry SIGS in the USCG so I am familiar with them. The DB9 seems like it would be a good gun if it doesn't have the issues that the 380 seemed to have at its release.

So I guess I am asking what would you do in my situation? You have the money to spend and need to choose one.
    "Common sense is not so common. Voltaire

I might be wrong but I don't think the 290 or the DB9 is available yet. Personally I would probably be looking at the Kahr PM9 if pocket carry was going to be my main mode of carry.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Thanks for the response Rollo.

I looked at the PM9 as well. I haven't held one yet, but I did look at it as well. None of the 3 have ACTUALLY been released, although Kimber has released some demo's for their dealers. I also looked at the CW9, but would rather just pay for the extras of the PM9. Maybe I'll head to the Kahr dealer to hold the PM9.

Also if you like the Kahr PM9, you may want to wait for the Kahr CM9. Same size, just costs less and will be same build as the CW9. I have both the CW9 and PM9 and love them both. A PM9 sized gun with the build of the CW9 and price would be on my list if I didn't already have both of those. If you really want one of the three you mentioned.... IMO, not knowing anything about any of the guns, just my preference, I would go for the Kimber SOLO over the Sig or the DB.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I'm getting the first DB9 that comes through the doors of this shop. It's very unlike me to actually be one of the first to own a new product, but I'm going to make an exception.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

The P290 is just now trickling out, a few guys on sigforum have them with some write ups.

I know it wasn't one of the choices, and you mentioned not liking the manual safety on the Solo, but I went with and recommend the LC9.

Of your choices I think I'd go with the Solo though. I say that without ever having handled, shot or physically seen any of them, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPete View Post
    The P290 is just now trickling out, a few guys on sigforum have them with some write ups.

I know it wasn't one of the choices, and you mentioned not liking the manual safety on the Solo, but I went with and recommend the LC9.

Of your choices I think I'd go with the Solo though. I say that without ever having handled, shot or physically seen any of them, lol.
    Thanks Darth.

I already have a PPS, LCP and H&K P2K for CCW. The LC9 isn't small enough. I'm 5'9" 175lbs, I don't think I could pocket an LC9.

None of these have reached general availability so unfortunately I'm not sure many of us can give you an informed opinion.

The DB9 seems really promising. Just every so slightly larger than the DB380, and 11 oz unloaded! Similar thickness. I just wonder about how shootable it is. The 290 seems really thick. The Solo seems really nice, but of course you pay a good amount for it.

I concur with your assessment of the LC9 as too big for pocket carry.

DB9 - light weight, probably low cost, no external safeties...BUT...does not take +P ammo, and does not lock open when empty

Sig P290 - nice, but seems rather heavy for pocket carry

Kimber Solo - thumb safety is a no-go for me

I'd also have to say look at the PM9 or new CM9...if you can live with having to use the slide release to chamber the first round, and a tendency to jam when doing a tap-rack drill with a fully loaded magazine. My experience with small pocket autos is that they can be temperamental...so carry two of 'em.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

gig
    I like the Kahr PM9. Handled a LC9 today, it felt like the Kel Tec PF11 I traded off.

I looked at the kahr pm 9 pretty hard but ended up going keltec pf9 I like my keltec great for carry and shoots good for being so small. Just got it a couple of weeks ago so I don't have too much ammo through it but no issues with the 100 rounds I ran through it so far.

Well here is my honest opinion. Go with something that is already on the market and is proven PM9. Here is why:

Unless you are used to carrying a firearm with a thumb safety such as a 1911, colt mustang, sig p238, etc then it is a change in training to now do that prior to trigger pull and will you remember that under stress? That would potentially move some people away from the Kimber Solo, though I do agree its a pretty good looker, though not tested in time yet and Kimber seems to get mixed reviews on the interwebz.

Sig P290, they are available as a few people have shot them over on the sigforum. However new Sigs seem to have some teething issues such as the multiple changes that have occurred with the P238.

DB9, the DB380 hasn't really proven itself as a super reliable firearm from what I've read so I don't know if this one will have any greater success.

Now in a couple of years, I will probably look at the Kimber as I carry firearms with that type of safety now if its proven reliable.

I think the OP is looking for a pocketable pistol, and the PM9 seems to have some disagreement over whether it is truly pocketable or not.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think your options should be:

• Kimber Solo
    • Ruger LC9
    • Kahr PM9
    • Kel-Tec PF9
    • Walther PPS
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I think the OP is looking for a pocketable pistol, and the PM9 seems to have some disagreement over whether it is truly pocketable or not.
    Then you missed this thread where the Kimber Solo was compared visually with the PM9 and other small autos. The PM9 is smaller than the kimber or the P290....so if its not pocketable then the other 2 won't be either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links