S&W 442 J-Frame - Page 2

S&W 442 J-Frame

This is a discussion on S&W 442 J-Frame within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 438 in my pocket now. Same gun but I have single action also. Their very nice guns. They are very acurate depending ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W 442 J-Frame

I have a 438 in my pocket now. Same gun but I have single action also. Their very nice guns. They are very acurate depending on the shooter. Search out Hickok45+642 on you tube and see how good these guns can shoot.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I have a 442. Paid too much for it but I am 100% satisfied nonetheless. I don't consider the kick to me that much. Actually a bit less than my LCP. Excellent revolver in my opinion.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I've owned a 442 for 8 months. My observations:

1, It is a great CCW in a front pocket holster.

2. Mine has been 100% reliable; fires every time.

3. Quality is very good.

4. It is a "Pain-In-The-Hand" to shoot; even with standard velocity non+P ammo. Worse with +P ammo. I sure don't enjoy practicing with it.

5. Mine is accurate, and shoots 2" groups at 7 yards.

6. I suppose (and hope) that if I ever have to use it for self-defense, the fear and excitement will be such that I don't notice the recoil, and can stay on target.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gold40 View Post
    I've owned a 442 for 8 months. My observations:

1, It is a great CCW in a front pocket holster.

2. Mine has been 100% reliable; fires every time.

3. Quality is very good.

4. It is a "Pain-In-The-Hand" to shoot; even with standard velocity non+P ammo. Worse with +P ammo. I sure don't enjoy practicing with it.

5. Mine is accurate, and shoots 2" groups at 7 yards.

6. I suppose (and hope) that if I ever have to use it for self-defense, the fear and excitement will be such that I don't notice the recoil, and can stay on target.
    Your observations are right on the money with regards to owning and shooting a J Frame revolver. I've had a 442 for the exact time as you and I have dedicated more time, effort and love training with this handgun than my others (I am dry firing it with snap caps as we speak to smooth out the action! ) A J Frame revolver is just awesome to conceal carry and I think that everyone should have at least one in their collection.

Now I want to buy a Ruger SP-101 with a 2.25" barrel and CT laser grip to carry in a nice brown leather OWB holster. I think that owning and shooting a wheel gun is such an amazing feeling!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Practice with some fast single handed point shooting at around 15 feet...you will never see that tiny blade when the SHTF...with practice, you should be able to keep all five shots within the body of a standard silhouette....and your group will tighten the more you practice.

Well I went ahead and picked it up. So now I have the 442 (no exterior hammer) for my wife to carry when she gets here CCW. I think it will help in a lot of ways, plus, when I don't want to lug around my .40 I can use this. Nice little gun, something about the simplicity of a revolver is just soothing.

VIP Member
    I’ve been using revolvers and auto-loaders for decades, but I still prefer the revolver time and again. Regardless of what particular platform people like most, just about everyone will end up with a revolver at some point. The street price is all over the place and it depends on the condition and venue. I've seen them for $300 and up. They generally don't have a lot of ware on em' as they are not typically used as a range gun.

The 442 or any other revolver will perform similarly when called to action, and that in large measure is what makes the snub so very popular. If you’re new to wheel guns then pick up a package of snap-caps and practice loading/reloading and trigger action drills. There are dozens of YouTube vids’ demonstrating various techniques with a multitude of carry devices.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

shoot the 640 j frame, 23oz; and feel the difference when switching to the airweight. I know I could get through 10 rounds of 357 if I so had to.......like the power and the sound. Hopefully will never HAVE to use it for defense and it sure is fun to practice with.

VIP Member

Made for each other...

Quote Originally Posted by 640girl View Post
    shoot the 640 j frame, 23oz; and feel the difference when switching to the airweight. I know I could get through 10 rounds of 357 if I so had to.......like the power and the sound. Hopefully will never HAVE to use it for defense and it sure is fun to practice with.
    Now that you mentioned it, I too prefer the 640 for the same reason(s).
    Attached Images
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I've got a 442 that principally rides in my pocket.

An excellent revolver

It does have a bit of a kick to it, because it's a lightweight.
    Me too. I've had mine a couple years and I love it. I've shot it a lot and I've become surprisingly accurate with it out to 20 yards. When I bought mine (new), they were going close to $500. You can get them about $100 less now. Check out Bud's gun shop online...I've seen some there in the $300s.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Consider 3"

Now I want to buy a Ruger SP-101 with a 2.25" barrel and CT laser grip to carry in a nice brown leather OWB holster. I think that owning and shooting a wheel gun is such an amazing feeling![/QUOTE]

For other than pocket carry, I like 3" barrels much better than 2", both Ruger and S&W. My favorite most often carried and shot small revolver is a 3" S&W model 60 FL adjustable sights. Small enough to carry well, large enough to shoot well. If you have not tried a 3" you owe it to yourself to give one a shot.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Paladin, The SP is a great shooting gun, and comfortable on the belt...and the front sight is pinned and easy to replace if you want a fiber optic..makes shooting outdoors much more fun....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links