S&W 442 J-Frame

S&W 442 J-Frame

This is a discussion on S&W 442 J-Frame within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is this gun a decent shooter? I know with the short barrel it probably isn't super accurate out long range but I haven't shot one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 442 J-Frame

S&W 442 J-Frame

Is this gun a decent shooter? I know with the short barrel it probably isn't super accurate out long range but I haven't shot one so I don't know. Also, what is the private seller value on this thing?

Thanks!

Administrator
    "Also, what is the private seller value on this thing?"

You need to provide a lot more information regarding condition - etc. & PICS if possible in order to receive an accurate answer to your question.

Love my Smith 442 much much more than my first wife.. its a great shooter. aBunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I've put a lot of rounds through a 642 (identical to 442, but different color). Feels almost identical to my more expensive 340 M&P. Accuracy? It's more accurate than I am.

Price? S&W Airweights (including the 442) are going for $370 (new) at my local store. The price have dropped drastically recently (by $100+!), and I'm seeing guys who bought their 442's a few year ago trying to sell their used guns for prices that are higher than new 442's are going for now.
    Last edited by brabham78; March 18th, 2011 at 02:57 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    They are AWESOME!!!! I love mine I have had it for a week now and with some range time 7 yards it will stay inside of 2" for me. I don't shoot it any further cuz it simply isn't for that. I keep it in my truck and I am gonna buy another one to keep in the wifey's vehicle too.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I have the Smith & Wesson 442 revolver and I absolutely love it. I have shot approximately 400 rounds through it and I have become very proficient with it up to 10 yards. The felt recoil in this handgun is considerable due to the short barrel and the low weight of the frame which may be an issue for some people. You can reduce recoil by installing a better grip, but it won't get as smooth as a larger and heavier gun. The gun has very poor sights (as all J Frames do), but it is super reliable, high quality and a fantastic concealed carry weapon with fantastic stopping power. I have carried mine IWB, in the pocket and in the ankle as a main gun and as a BUG to my main carry. If you have never shot a j frame revolver before, I suggest you rent one at your local range and shoot it first before you buy it in order to determine if it is what you are looking for. Also, I recommend you take a look at the shrouded hammer version which some people prefer since it gives you the capability of shooting it double action or single action but without the hammer snagging on clothing for concealed carry. Also, I highly suggest you check out the Ruger LCR as well which has a great trigger and is a fine firearm as well.

Here is a picture of mine right out of the box (it was 8 months ago and sorry for the poor iPhone photo):

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I've got a 442 that principally rides in my pocket.

An excellent revolver

It does have a bit of a kick to it, because it's a lightweight.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    The 442/642 are considered the 'gold standard' of 5 shot snubbies. Remember the gun is designed to be used at a distance of 0-7yds. Although some can shoot proficiently with them at 50yds, that's not the function of a snubbie. Great gun, everyone should have one...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Thanks guys!

It is a great pocket gun. I carried my 442 with 305 CT laser grips in one of my Rough Out pocket holsters all day. I find shooting is very accurate for a short barrel with long DAO trigger.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Administrator
    Buy one. You'll be happy with it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Outstanding pistol. Mine used to go everywhere with me - before my girlfriend recruited it to go everywhere with her. I can think of few finer weapons to arm her with. Suppose I'll have to pick up another...

May require a little more range time but that ain't exactly a bad thing :)
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Buy one and then watch how snubbies multiply inside your safe like bunnies!!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Carry how?

For pocket carry the Airweight J-frames makes sense. They weigh 14 - 15 oz. For holster carry the all steel J-frames are still quite light at 21 - 22 oz but the extra 50% of weight makes a noticeable improvement in shooting comfort.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    ANY J-Frame = NOT MUCH NOT to LIKE!!!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links