Kahr P380, Ruger LCP, KEl-Tec 3AT, Sig P238 or S&W Body Guard Which would you pick? - Page 2

Kahr P380, Ruger LCP, KEl-Tec 3AT, Sig P238 or S&W Body Guard Which would you pick?

This is a discussion on Kahr P380, Ruger LCP, KEl-Tec 3AT, Sig P238 or S&W Body Guard Which would you pick? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been carrying a LCP for a couple of years. Everytime I shoot it I'm amazed how accurate it is....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Kahr P380, Ruger LCP, KEl-Tec 3AT, Sig P238 or S&W Body Guard Which would you pick?

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Been carrying a LCP for a couple of years. Everytime I shoot it I'm amazed how accurate it is.
    Proud NRA member

I would choose the P3AT. I have had mine for over 6 years and I love it.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I believe the Ruger would be the least likely one to have problems with out of all of them. Most should be fine. I'm just going with what i have.

VIP Member
    For the money. It’s hard to beat the 8oz Kel-Tec P3-AT. We have a couple that run fine. Kahr triggers are better. IMHO the best little pocket gun, for experienced users, is the 13oz Rohrbaugh 9mm. Although expensive, it has a superb trigger and much more effectiveness for the same size. Down the road, if you want 40 cal punch in a pocket gun, the 16oz Kahr PM-40 is the smallest, and not much larger that the 380’s.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

LCP for me

I have a P3AT that I got for $60 cheaper than usual because it's OD and I guess no one liked it. I thought it was a pretty good deal, so I picked it up and I like it quite a bit. I've put 100 rounds of Blazer and American Eagle through it without a hitch so far. Some of the other ones have more features, but this is a surprisingly easy little gun to shoot, both deliberately and in quick double and triple taps. I like it quite a bit. Made in America, too.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    P3at for me.

I would encourage you to at least consider the Sig P238. It is the perfect pocket carry gun for me. Primarily because it is so much easier to shoot and shoot accurately than all the guns you mentioned with the possible exception of the Kahr. The difference is in the trigger and recoil. I owned the Keltec. While it was a very dependable weapon, at more than contact distance it was hard for me to be accurate with because of the long and heavy trigger pull. The Ruger was not much better. It was smoother but still long and heavy. The Kahr had a very smooth long trigger. I liked it a lot but none of those compared to the Sig in my opinion. It has a short crisp single action trigger and is a great weight for pocket carry, not too heavy but not too light. It soaks the recoil perfectly. The keltec was a beast to shoot, the Sig is not too much different than shooting my .22 Buckmark. I can double or triple tap accurately with the Sig. Double taps were impossible for me with the keltec because of the trigger. To me it comes down to what you want to spend and how much you want to shoot the weapon. If you want a less expensive gun just for carry (always fire the gun enough to make sure it is reliable) then any of the guns, keltec or ruger primarily, would be great. Up close is where self defense guns are needed anyway. I would probably buy the Ruger because it is a little more polished than the keltec and Ruger has great durability built into their guns. However, if you plan to shoot your guns regularly I believe that the Sig rules with the Kahr coming in a distant second. I shoot my P238 every week or so and love it. I have about 600 rounds through the gun and it has been perfect.

I have an LCP and the day I tried to shoot it in a poorly lit range I realized I could not line up the sites. I know it's a close range weapon... However I decided I wanted a little more, so I went and bought a P238 and I really like it. The trigger, the sites, the finish, and the feel in my hand makes it just right. I am *much* more accurate with the P238. I also like to have the ability to run the Buffalo Bore "+p" rounds through it (which I know the Khar can as well).
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

I bought a Ruger LCP when they first came out and though accurate and reliable I found that firing more than a couple magazines thru it went from unpleasant to painful. I replaced it when Kahr came out with their P380 and that pistol totally outclassed the LCP with better sights and a superb trigger. I next bought the S&W Bodyguard and like it the best of the three. The Kahr was hands down more comfortable than the LCPand the Bodygaurd even more so. Combine all the features like the built in laser and like "Gun tests" magazine proclaimed it is the Cadillac of pocket 380s. So my first choice is the Bodygaurd followed closely by the Kahr.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would go with the Ruger LCP which is hands down the best pocket gun available on the market. I suggest you get your pocket holster from Desantis Gunhide. They have several pocket holster models that are perfect for deep concealment with the LCP.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I went with the P380 when I was looking for a .380 because: 1). it is such a high-quality pistol and 2). I got an incredibly good deal on it. I did have some issues with it initially, but Kahr made it right and it's been fine since. It also felt better in my hand than anything else I tried (and I tried a lot of them).

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    I have the Bodyguard 380 and like it very much. Easy to carry and conceal. Very light for pocket carry. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    Kahr P380, Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec 3AT,Sig P238 or S&W Body Guard Which would you pick? I am going to get a 380 for a bug, and when I just can't carry anything else, summer is coming and I will need a pocket gun.

So out of the guns above which do you have and what made you choose it? I am open to all 380's that fit in the pocket.
    Is that a Jframe S&W you have in your photo?

I have a 642 and it pocket carries really well. I still want a 380 like yourself BUT I can't imagine it being that much easier to carry and conceal.

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    Is that a Jframe S&W you have in your photo?

I have a 642 and it pocket carries really well. I still want a 380 like yourself BUT I can't imagine it being that much easier to carry and conceal.
    Yes it is a 642, I like it very much but don't pocket carry much, it has the clip draw on it and I carry it AIWB.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links