Ruger LC9

Ruger LC9

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody actually handled and shot this yet? It appears to be a good carry gun, but not much feedback yet. I've seen the links to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ruger LC9

Ruger LC9

Anybody actually handled and shot this yet? It appears to be a good carry gun, but not much feedback yet. I've seen the links to youtube, etc. but what about those here that have used it?
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I was all about this weapon, handled it, shot it, then couldnt get over two things:

1. the stupid big red loaded chamber popup indicator on top of the slide... why?

2. the magazine disconnect...... I know the percentages are low to none but if I dont have a serviceable mag, my pistol better be able to allow me to manually feed a round into the chamber... or if my mag is popped out in a struggle, the last round in there better fire....

I decided to stick with my P3AT for pocket carry

Fit and finish was beautiful however, in typical ruger fashion.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Ruger has a way of taking a wonderful design and ruining it with features that most people don't want. AZchevy listed them already so I won't repeat them.

thank god they didn't stick a side safety on my LCR
    Chevyguy85 likes this.

Thats kind of what I've been hearing..especially the mag disconnect. What the heck was that added for?
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Yea me too. Ill look for someting else. The PF9 is cheaper anyway.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Keep in mind that the pop-up chamber indicator can be filed down, the paint removed, etc. I've got one on my SR9c, but haven't even noticed it. Seriously - you don't see it when the gun is holstered, you don't see it when sighting down the slide. So, non-issue for me.

The mag disconnect took less than 5 minutes to remove and discard. Still haven't found a write-up yet for the LC9 removal procedure, but if it's as easy as the SR9's is to remove, total non-issue.

I'm still looking at the LC9 as an option for light carry - I can see it filling in a gap in the arsenal. What's the alternative? Taurus 709? I'd feel better with a Ruger, because of the overbuilt way they tend to do things.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

The last thing I want to do is make modifications of the manufacturers design to my carry gun

Shot mine for the first time today. It's my second pistol and its far from what I'm used to shooting, but I liked it a lot. First off, it conceals very well without sacrificing much stopping power over my .45. I shot 60-70 115 gr American Eagles through it with no issues at all. The sights on it are nice, and despite what other people are saying, the loaded chamber indicator does NOT get in the way of the front sight. It will lift up high enough to block the sight, but the actual round will not push it that high. I didn't even notice it was up while sighting in and shooting.

I've also heard a few people claim that the slide doesn't lock open on an empty mag all the time, but mine locked open and functioned properly on every empty magazine. The trigger is long and heavy, like any other pocket carry I'm sure. This is my first pocket carry type gun so I don't know how it compared to the LCP trigger.

I don't know what the deal is with the magazine safety. It doesn't bother me at all. I don't see it to be any reason to hate on or bash the gun. That's my vague range report. I'm a novice shooter so the actual groupings I had would be irrelevant. As for the gun itself I enjoy carrying it and I enjoy how it shoots. I doubt it's perfect but I hope it straightens out some of the issues people were complaining about.

Both the magazine disconnect and the loaded chamber indicator are courtesy of certain states, notably CA. Once we can get that insane "safe handgun roster" thrown out in court, those "feature" mandates will become moot.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberUltra View Post
    Shot mine for the first time today. It's my second pistol and its far from what I'm used to shooting, but I liked it a lot. First off, it conceals very well without sacrificing much stopping power over my .45. I shot 60-70 115 gr American Eagles through it with no issues at all. The sights on it are nice, and despite what other people are saying, the loaded chamber indicator does NOT get in the way of the front sight. It will lift up high enough to block the sight, but the actual round will not push it that high. I didn't even notice it was up while sighting in and shooting.

I've also heard a few people claim that the slide doesn't lock open on an empty mag all the time, but mine locked open and functioned properly on every empty magazine. The trigger is long and heavy, like any other pocket carry I'm sure. This is my first pocket carry type gun so I don't know how it compared to the LCP trigger.

I don't know what the deal is with the magazine safety. It doesn't bother me at all. I don't see it to be any reason to hate on or bash the gun. That's my vague range report. I'm a novice shooter so the actual groupings I had would be irrelevant. As for the gun itself I enjoy carrying it and I enjoy how it shoots. I doubt it's perfect but I hope it straightens out some of the issues people were complaining about
    My issue with the mag disconnect is that if you dry fire w/o the mag in it messes up the gun, or at least on the p345 it does. Yes it says in the manual not to dry fire but at the time it was easier to dry fire at the end of the IDPA stage than having to keep explaining why I can't do the normal show clear procedure. Eventually the gun started to not fire when I squeezed the trigger, as it's a DA/SA it wasn't a huge deal as all I had to do was re-pull the trigger for a second strike and it normally went bang. Having broke it because of my own fault I sent it back and had it repaired. First thing I did when I got it back was remove that safety. Bought an SR40 and I'd only had it 2 hours before that mag disconnect thing was gone on that one too.

Dry firing is a PITA when you HAVE to have the mag in which is another huge minus for me.

Other's don't like it for reasons AZ stated that if for some reason you have to manually feed your gun you're SOL.

On the other hand some police departments see it as a plus since if in a gun grab instance the officer can drop the mag so if the suspect get's his gun it's useless.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I really didn't care for the safety devices, but for me the size, weight and ergonomics far outweighed those safety devices in making my choice to purchase one. I'm glad I did. I now have 320 flawless rounds through it, and it has become my #1 carry gun. Today I wore it all day in the pocket of my cargo shorts.........no problem at all. It is really the gun I have been waiting for someone to create for years. It's a joy to carry, and fun to shoot.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    ...It is really the gun I have been waiting for someone to create for years...
    Already been done... the Kel-Tec PF9.

Joking aside, how did Ruger do it? I've heard Kel-Tec didn't patent the design (haven't substantiated that claim yet), so did Ruger just 'reverse engineer' it, or are they actually paying Kel-Tec some kind of royalty-something? They did the same with Glock on the SR series (they are so similar in design, is that the wrong conclusion?). What gives?

Although, personally it does look better than the PF9... If I had heard about it two days earlier, I might not have purchased my PF9.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I really considered the Keltec, but my fear was that it would be a tiger to shoot at only 12.5 oz. I think the extra 5 oz. of the Ruger helps make it very comfortable to shoot.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I understand about the range clearing procedures, but it's the range officers job to be aware of such things like who's using a gun that happends to have a mag safety. If the mag is out, the slide locked open and the gun is down on the bench IMO it's just as safe as any other gun.

I've heard some people say there were upset because they wouldn't be able to manually load their gun. I don't get it personally. If you are in a situation where you have to manually load your pistol, you have way more problems than a magazine safety. It's not easy to load one at a time, especially under stress, and possibly in the dark. Also, does anyone carry around the mag and then a pocket full of lose bullets in case the mag falls out and they have to load one at a time?

lc9

I like my LC9. you cant compare an LCP to the LC9. the loaded chamber indicator is not an issue, you wont even know its there. if you end up with no magazine, thats your fault, I'm pulling the trigger before they get that close. as mentioned before I don't anyone who carries a pocket full of bullets to manually load chamber. shoots great, harldy any recoil. I was going to buy a 357 revolver until I saw the LC9. This is the only compact 9mm I have shot so I cannot compare to others, but I would not hesitate to recommend this gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links