Problem!!! need help

This is a discussion on Problem!!! need help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok this morning I got my 460 rowland kit back. I had it installed in a Colt XSE and I went to shoot it and ...

Thread: Problem!!! need help

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

Problem!!! need help

Ok this morning I got my 460 rowland kit back. I had it installed in a Colt XSE and I went to shoot it and 30-40% of the shots didn't fire! I put them back in the mags sometimes 2-3 times before I got them all to fire. Some of the primers look just dinged the others have a hole punched right through them. What do I need to do or who do I need to call. I am fit to be tied at the moment and don't wanna freak out on someone over the phone until I know who i need to yell at. help me please.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

2. Remove Ads

My first thought is variability in the ammo. Handloads? All primers from the very same lot? Was the ammo exposed to any contaminants or moisture that might affect the primers? Are all the primers set to a uniform height (depth)?

If the ammo is unshakably good, then pull the firing pin and FP spring, and check the FP bore in the slide for any debris that might cause erratic hits. Is the firing pin itself the right size for the firing pin hole in the breech face? That would be rare, but not unheard of.

You stated you got your kit "back." Back from what? What was done to it?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I had to send the slide to Clark Custom guns to have there 460 rowland kit fit into it (My colt needed the kit to have the upgraded hood on the chamber) The ammo was acually two different ones Buffalo bore 255 hardcast and Georgia Arms 230 FMJ's. I had failures with both making me think the ammo isn't the problem. here are primer pics.
    Attached Images
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

That blown primer is scary-looking.

I would call both ammo suppliers and explain your experience to them. Of course GA will say use a stiff firing pin spring, and BB will say the opposite, but I'd still get a reading from then. And give the good folks at Clark a call, too... chances are they've seen this before and I bet they have an ammo recommendation for you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

"...check the FP bore in the slide for any debris that might cause erratic hits."

Good advice this.

I once had a Ruger 77 .30-06 rifle that had some brass shavings, perhaps from cartridge rims, that caused this same problem in the firing pin's channel within the bolt.

Has the mainspring been tweaked to lighten it? Is the firing pin a bit short?

It takes very few blown primers to etch most firing pins, leaving a problem that snowballs. The more etched and rough the firing pin tip becomes, the more it pierces primers. You might check your firing pin tip for any roughness, pitting, or damage. The primer in the photograph doesn't otherwise look like it is indicating high pressures.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Administrator
    Your firing pin strikes on the primer are not centered on the primer. That is usually a "barrel to slide" improper fit issue.

The cartridge case on the left shows off center FP strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Your firing pin strikes on the primer are not centered on the primer. That is usually a "barrel to slide" improper fit issue.

The cartridge case on the left shows off center FP strikes.
    They had it for a week to "custom fit it" if its bad I will be really pissed!!!! I tore it back apart and cleaned it really well. I will be back out tonight or tomorrow to try it again if it still doesn't work I don't know what the next move is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I will be back out tonight or tomorrow to try it again if it still doesn't work I don't know what the next move is.
    Contacting the folks that did the custom work seems sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    Contacting the folks that did the custom work seems sensible.
    Yea but I am a one and done kinda guy. I can accept getting a bad gun out of a factory but if you do custom work and it isn't right the first time I am done. I see me paying my GS to fix it cuz I am not paying for shipping to them again if that is the problem.

Just a thought, most reputable folks will tell you to ship it back to them at their expense and they will make things right for you...I would think in your conversation with them, if you let them know you checked with the "thousands" of members on "several gun forums", and most everyone was in agreement that you needed to contact the folks that did the custom work and let them make things right and that you will certainly followup on these gun forums and let folks know how things went...I believe when you drop that in your conversation, you will find that folks will bend over backwards to assist you and make you happy....JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Administrator
    Sure looks like somebody there goofed up on the kit-fit to me.
    Even your "blown" primer strike (cartridge case on the right) obviously impacted way off center & centered is where primers absolutely need to be hit in order to get consistent & reliable cartridge detonation.
    There is a VERY SMALL amount of leeway in that primers do not always need to be exactly & ideally "dead center" hit but, what I am looking at in that PIC of yours (up there) is totally unacceptable.
    That is always going to be a problem in and of itself unless that is corrected.
    That's not a problem that you can take care of at home.
    Especially since this is going to be a firearm that you will need to work 100% of the time - based on your previous posts of what use you intend to put this gun to.
    I am surprised that they do that work - without having the complete firearm to work with/on - because a critical part of the normal "function check" when refitting a firearm and doing a caliber conversion is seeing exactly where the firing pin smacks the primer.
    And...wouldn't the "top end" need to be checked on YOUR frame in order to make that determination? I would think so.

It didn't drop in like they said so I had to pay to send it back. They promised me 1-2 days to do the fitting originally and it took 4 days wouldn't have been a big deal but I made them aware that I wanted the gun for a pig hunt. Then cuz it took the 4 days I paid $50 for overnight shipping so I am just not happy with the whole thing. I need a beer and the weekend to calm down I think.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Sure looks like somebody there goofed up on the kit-fit to me.
    Even your "blown" primer strike (cartridge case on the right) obviously impacted way off center & centered is where primers absolutely need to be hit in order to get consistent & reliable cartridge detonation.
    There is a VERY SMALL amount of leeway in that primers do not always need to be exactly & ideally "dead center" hit but, what I am looking at in that PIC of yours (up there) is totally unacceptable.
    That is always going to be a problem in and of itself unless that is corrected.
    That's not a problem that you can take care of at home.
    Especially since this is going to be a firearm that you will need to work 100% of the time - based on your previous posts of what use you intend to put this gun to.
    I am surprised that they do that work - without having the complete firearm to work with/on - because a critical part of the normal "function check" when refitting a firearm and doing a caliber conversion is seeing exactly where the firing pin smacks the primer.
    I should have used my FFL and sent them the entire gun instead of just the slide I guess. I hate when stuff doesn't go right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I should have used my FFL and sent them the entire gun instead of just the slide I guess. I hate when stuff doesn't go right.
    You don't need to use an FFL to send the gun to a repair facility, depending on that facility's FFL. Clark Custom is a manufacturer, so you can send to them (and they back to you) without involving an FFL at your end.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links