Smith & Wesson 642 recoil - Page 2

Smith & Wesson 642 recoil

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson 642 recoil within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 442. Recoil is significant sure, but not unmanageable. I had the same problem with the cylinder release taking bites out of my ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smith & Wesson 642 recoil

I have a 442. Recoil is significant sure, but not unmanageable.

I had the same problem with the cylinder release taking bites out of my thumb. I softened the lower half of the cylinder release with a Dremel and it's no longer a problem. Also changed my grip slightly, locking down my left thumb over my right one. This pins my right thumb down slightly lower than the cylinder release.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

It all comes down to how you hold the weapon and how well it fits you. I have vert thick (aka "fat") hands, wrists, and fingers, but my fingers are short. I had no problem with the factory boot grip, but I like the old style S&W wooden snub grips better...so I changed mine out. It fits me better. I always shoot 158gr JSPs through mine, and I usually shoot a box of 50 every time I take it out. I've developed very good accuracy with it out to about 20 yards and the recoil doesn't bother me. None of my shooting buddies want to touch it, but they all have long skinny hands and fingers, so it isn't a good fit for them. With the right gun grips and hand position, you should be able to shoot it with no problem. Google DAO revolver grip and you will see the left thumb over the right thumb style. I like it a lot. Also consider just shooting standard .38s for most of your practice and just put severl cylinders of +P through during your session right at the end. That's the best of both worlds.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Mine came with the Houge grips. Target ammo is fine. +P ammo hurts.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    I don't think the recoil is bad at all with the factory grips. I keep reading how bad the recoil is, I just don't think so. It really depends on the person. I have the 438 ( same as 642) .
    +1

Even using my +p+ ammo, it isn't that bad.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

My wife's 642 has the Crimson Trace grips. Primarly shoot 140g WC and 158g SWCHP. The Crimson Trace grips allow for a full grip and make the gun very easy to shoot. Recoil is not an issue.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I have a 642 and find it a very useful gun because it hides so easily and weighs very little. It is difficult to shoot well and has a healthy recoil, but at the likely short range of use, it is quite adequate. I have a pocket holster for it, but generally prefer an IWB tuckable holster by Comp-Tac, the "2 o'clock".

Nice grips. I have Altamont grips that look very similar on my 642.

While my 642 does have some recoil, it is not unbearable. I only shoot about 50 rounds at a time though. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Face it, lightweight snubs are not fun guns to shoot...
    You will not enjoy shooting the 642 at the range much. I have a 642 (actually my wife's gun) and can tell you that you wont be putting 200 rounds downrange at a time. The wife and I both call it quits after 50 and move to something else more fun

No airweight frames are particularly easy on the hands. Its a defensive weapon. That said, I'm sure you can handle it... my wife is a relative novice and she handles it with no trouble. I have also never had any issues cutting my hands or other action-related injuries. Your brother's grip or hands must be radically different than mine. I love the 642 and would buy it again in a heartbeat.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    You will not enjoy shooting the 642 at the range much. I have a 642 (actually my wife's gun) and can tell you that you wont be putting 200 rounds downrange at a time. The wife and I both call it quits after 50 and move to something else more fun

No airweight frames are particularly easy on the hands. Its a defensive weapon. That said, I'm sure you can handle it... my wife is a relative novice and she handles it with no trouble. I have also never had any issues cutting my hands or other action-related injuries. Your brother's grip or hands must be radically different than mine. I love the 642 and would buy it again in a heartbeat.
    With stock grips I would agree. I have Hogue boot grips on mine and 200 rounds in a session is normal and not unplesant. Dang thing is pretty accurate as well - almost as accurate as my 640.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links